Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Performance of Micro Receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Performance of Micro Receivers?

I'm want to buy a dual-conversion FM receiver with about 4-5 channels, and it
seems like most (if not all) that meet this criteria are micro-receivers. The micro's
seem to be less expensive than standard 6, 7 & 8 channel receivers, but I would
expect that their performance is not as good. Is that accurate?

Do micro receivers work as well as their big brothers (standard receivers)?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:00 PM
aquaflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance of Micro Receivers?

Not at all as good. They are single conversion and have an average range of 650 feet.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I'll take exception to that. I have a few Hitec 555's, Electron 6's, and a couple of FMA M5's. These are micro RX's and dual-conversion five to six channels. I fly them in electrics and in .46 powered planes. There are some single-conversion RX's out there with short range, but I don't use them. I recently bought a Berg "postage stamp" RX and it is claimed it will do as well as any large RX. It is different in circuitry. It has True Digital Signal Processing and Transmitter Signal Recognition. It's tiny. Just be careful how you plug in your servos.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:37 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general the power handling abilities is pale in comparison to standard RX's. Some micros have limited range.

Hitec offers several dual conversion micro FM/PPM RX's that are dual conversion and a few are single conversion; in either case the range is one mile plus.

http://hitecrcd.com/Receivers/Menu/receiverAIRbody.jpg
Old 07-25-2006, 09:43 PM
tkilwein

I second MGLAVIN's comments on range.
I have a 5 micro Rx's, certain brands have ~700-1000ft range, then they go out of control and into the ground. Tested this a few times with foam planes.
Others I have, repeatly go over 1500-2000ft and no problems after this they become hard to see for me.
The dual conversions I have get better range than the single conversions I have.
I have tuned some of my RX's for peak reception for a particular channel and with that I get slightly better range(not dramatic)
due to the RX is (peaked-tuned) for a much smaller freq range(one channel) verses the RX that is tuned to operate over 50 channels.

Just my experiences.
Tony
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Haven't you guys heard of JR. Except for one or two high end receivers, all of there receivers are single conversion and have no range problems. I've used the Berg 5's, MikroDesign SFP5 and other micro receivers that are single conversion. All with range that is the equal of any full size or double conversion receiver. The lack of range of single conversion receivers such as the GWS receivers, has nothing to do with it being single conversion, but the actual circuit design and the quality of the components used.