Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which Brand - Futaba,HiTech, or JR

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
sportster64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Brand - Futaba,HiTech, or JR

The choices are overwhelming. Is there any general guidance as to which way to turn ? Please - I don't want to turn this into a flame pit !!
I'm guessing it may come down to what is popular at the field I fly at or what features I want or need - which I really don't know at this point. I am looking at the futaba 7C series - the price/features looks good from the little I know. I can tell you that I am just getting back into RC after a long break of almost 20 years. I had an old futaba 4 channel AM that wasn't even 1999 compliant - so I am open to general counsel. I will tell you that I plan to eventually build a great planes U-can-do-3d 60 series rather that helps or not ??
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which Brand - Futaba,HiTech, or JR

sportster64,

I got back into R/C a couple years ago after a 25 year hiatus. I am presently using Futaba radios and have no experience with other brands so I can not advise as to which may be superior to what. I can tell you that I re-entered with a 6XAS, a very nice, reliable, radio, and quickly realized that it was probably not quite sophisticated enough to do the things that I was going to end up doing. That realization was correct!

Judging by the plane you are building your interests may well outstrip a seven channel radio, even a very nice one, fairly quickly.

My present Tx. is a 9C Futaba and many of its features, not present in the 6XAS are being utilized. It was surprising how quickly the additional capabilities proved to be very useful.

Your future needs (we never want anything, we NEED it) may be worth considering now.

Just a thought.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Get whatever you like, most radios in a similar price range perform similarly.

I like Futaba, my buddy flys JR, not because the features are any better or it works any better but because the layout of the sticks and switches fits his hands better. Go to a hobby shop, hold and play with all the ones you are considering and make a decision.

That "get what the locals fly" is nice but there's so much information available online today that if you have questions you will get answers in minutes. The only time thats really a serious consideration is if you need an instructor it will help to have a compatable radio to buddy box with him/her.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 AM
dshemelrick

i have both and i was in it when it was {am }and quit flying and found same problem when i returned,i have 4 jr and 2 futaba and i like them both and its hard to go wrong with either,its a matter of preference as they both do the same thing,but i wonder what people would do without the comp radios i did not have one years ago and everthing would fly then with tweaking
Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
scottsr

I don't think there is a bad brand out there one may have one thing the other doesn't but all n all most of the radios in the same price and channels are pretty close so like what was said before the fit in your hands and the switch locations and if it has a slider at your palm or a knob that you turn . They are all about the same with the switches and knobs sometimes being different . I myself like the JR9303 . I had a Hitec Eclipse 7 but it was so hard to set up . But when I got the 9303 I was able to set it up in no time and the screen was much better . So you have to look at how is it to set up also . Good Luck My Friend . Happy flying[8D]
Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 PM
sportster64

Thats a good point about setup and how easy it is for a beginner to computer radios to setup.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

sportster 64,

I think that rlmcnii has given you a very sage piece of advice on getting a little more radio to begin with, especially if you think that you'll continue with the hobby. I use Futaba and I can tell you there are some significant capability differences between the 7C and 9C without a whole lot of difference in the prices.

You've also gotten some good input from other posts on what is basically kind of a Ford/Chevy/Dodge preference question, or which brand is your favorite as they'll all get the job done, but using what others at your flying site use should maybe be more of a consideration than you might think. Someone who has the radio you choose can probably show you how to do things in a few minutes as opposed to spending a few hours going over the manual and manufacturers online FAQ's. As for my choice, it mostly came down to the fact that my buddy who taught me the basics used Futaba, so that's what I bought...