Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with problem for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 02:09 PM
twilli77
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with problem for newbie

I had my first crash last weekend. My instructor said my radio battery was too low. The plane took a dive from about 30-50 feet. I purchased a new plane this week and put in the radio equipment last night but can't get it to work.

I charged all night last night and tried it again this morning. When you turn the switch on, the servos twitch a little but then you have no control with the radio. They don't do anything when you turn the plane switch back off, but when you turn it back on, they twich again and then don't respond. I don't know if my onboard battery is dead, the reciever is flawed, or the radio is a problem. The voltage indicator on the radio is pegged at 100% so I think it has power, but I don't have an indicator for the onboard battery.

someone help!!!

I have a futaba skysport 4 radio channel 46
The receiver is a futaba FP-R1270F
batteries are sanyo
Old 01-04-2003, 03:01 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The probabilities are that you have broken the receiver crystal, or the crystal filter in the crash. You can try another receiver crystal, and see if that fixes things. If not, you will have to send the unit in for repair.

Les
Old 01-05-2003, 01:50 AM
twilli77

It was the crystal. I got up with a guy in the local club that has been gracious in helping me. I dropped by his house and when he put his crystal in, it worked. He was going to the HS about 30 miles away and picked me one up.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 06:40 AM
kram-RCU

Your story nicely illustrates 3 basic RC radio maintanence fundamentals:
1) Check receiver pack voltage before every flight
2) Range check every day before flying
3) Send every crashed receiver in for a check-up before using it again.

mt
Old 01-06-2003, 01:46 PM
twilli77

1. I am looking into getting a voltmeter asap.

2. What range do you test at? Do you check it at the maximum you might be flying or is 100 or so feet adequate? I have read and heard to check the range, but don't remember hearing an appropriate distance.

3. Do you send it in to the manufacturer for testing, or have the local HS check it out?

Thanks for the tips!!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:20 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

The rule of thumb is 100 feet with the antenna down. I've read a lot of stuff about this being bad for your TX so I normally pull my antenna up about six inches and check at 150 feet. You send your receiver in to the manufacturer for testing. I doubt that your local hobby shop has the equipment to check it properly.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:30 PM
kram-RCU

Default range testing

I highly recommend the article in the most recent Horizon catalog about range testing. I found it very educational, and I wish I'd read it about 15 years ago! He puts some real definition into a process that's always been sorta vague.

mt