Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Charging Futaba 6EXA High Capacity Tx batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 AM
bmuu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Futaba 6EXA High Capacity Tx batteries

Hi,
I've got a couple of Futaba 6EXA's for which I have got high capacity Tx batteries.
I'd like to be able to use my intelligent charger (Pro-Peak Constellation) with these but am not sure what rates I can use with the battery still in the transmitter.
At the moment I keep taking the batteries in and out to charge but I'm worried about damaging the transmitter contacts this way.
Ideally I'd like to be able to use the charger's 'Auto' settings as these seem to get the best results but I don't want to fry the transmitter circuits.
Or, has anyone come up with an (easy) method of charging externally without having to poke around in the transmitter's innards each time?
All help greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:27 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Charging Futaba 6EXA High Capacity Tx batteries

One of the guys in our club cut the wires on his pack and soldered on a second lead and connector. He made a small opening at the edge of the battery cover to run the second lead outside the case for charging and cycling.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 AM
bmuu

Thanks Carrell, did that mean that he effectively had a 'Y' lead coming off the battery with one leg going into the socket in the Tx and the other hanging out for charging? Or have I got it wrong?
Cheers,
bmuu
Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
carrellh

You've got it exactly right; it is a "Y"
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

going to all the trouble of wiring in a y connector doesnt do anything to alleviate any of the worries that you posted to start this thread. use your charger to charge the transmitter thru the transmitter connector as provided by the manufacturer. charger is not connected to innards of radio when charging.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bmuu,

go here: http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...ge=diode_sheet

You can find instructions as t how to jump the blocking diode in the transmitter charge port. Once bypassed, you will be able to use a "smart charger" directly in the charge port without removing the battery pack or soldering extra leads to the pack. I followed these instructions for a 6XAS and it worked well. I use a Litco Alpha4, which is a "smart-charger", and it works perfectly with this modification.

Please note that the instructions in the link are specific to each particular model of Tx.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 AM
bmuu

Well chaps, thanks for all the input on this one, plenty to try out. The 'Y' lead looks the simplest so that there's a direct connection to the battery available without plugging and unplugging. But if I can find the polyswitches over here in the UK, I might have a go at fitting one of those. I still couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether these should be fitted in parallel to the diode or in replacement of it but I'm guessinmg from the posts I've seen that either way would do the job.
Thanks again to the community for the help, I'm sure I'll be back!
Cheers,
bmuu