Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Oscillation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Jerry McManus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Oscillation

I have built the gaint scale bingo, 85" wing, G38 engine and Futaba skysport 6A radio. I first had standard servos for my airlerons, and the plane was'nt very responsive, and at high speeds not at all. So I replace the servos with S9303's. Since then I get oscillation (moving up & down) on one servo. I'm useing a Y connector an Two 24" extension. I ran each servo directly from the rx and they work fine, also ran them with the 24" extension from the receiver an also work fine. Once I add the Y one chatters. I also changed the Y. I just had the radio sent in for service. Any suggestion would be great
Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

You didn't say if you tried it, but you might reverse where the Y is (just for a test)- in other words, if you have the y right at the receiver, and the extensions plugged into that, try it with one extension out to the Y, and plug the servos into that. If the jitter goes away, you might have just too much extension, of too little size wire.

Make sure you are using at least 22 guage wire in the extensions - most of the "stock" extensions are lighter guage. You really need to invest in heavier guage ones for the bigger planes. Also, make sure you get extensions that are twisted, instead of "side-by-side" wires - less interference that way.

Also, when you test it and it jitters, swap the servos at the Y, and see if the same servo jitters, or if the opposite servo jitters. That can tell you if it's the wiring to the servo, or possibly the servo itself...

Hope this makes sense, and helps...keep us informed!
Old 02-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It appears that you are getting excessive voltage drop somewhere in the power lines to the servo, most probably at one of the connectors. To be sure, run an external set of wires (at least 22 gauge) for the same length from the reciever to the servos. If that works, just rework your wire harness to use larger wire and fewer connectors--or really good connectors. Rod
Old 02-06-2002, 11:23 PM
Jerry McManus

Thank You,Ive try the 24 extension to the servo and they work fine, I,ll try the 22 gauge wire. Any suggestion on where to get the cables
Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get the heavier wire in several places, maybe even at your local hobby shop. I have ordered it from FMADirect.com, they have quite a selection of heavy duty wire, switches etc. Rod
Old 11-14-2002, 03:08 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Twisted Leads

Needed to use this post to answer a newer question_bob