Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Changing TX Crystals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing TX Crystals?

I have been told it is illegal to change the crystal in a transmitter. My question is, if I do change a crystal in my transmitter will the transmitter still work just as good? If I send the transmitter in to a certified repair center to change the channel do they do anything to the transmitter other than just swap the crystal?

Thanks,
Tony Gagliardi Jr.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing TX Crystals?

In the US, it is illegal to change the crystal. If you do this (and also do the same in the receiver), your radio will likely work just fine. Theoretically, the closer you stay to the original frequency, the better off you will be. At the certified repair shops, after they swap in a new crystal, they can check the transmitter to make sure it is on the EXACT frequency. Whether they actually do that, I don't know.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At the Futaba Service Center, when we perform a channel change, regardless of the channel changed from or to, we completely tune the tranmitter's output section and check it to make sure it's putting out the proper waveform with correct power and bandwidth.

And yes, it's illegal to change the channel on your transmitter with a crystal swap unless you can certify that the transmitter complies with the output specifications for RC transmitters.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. I guess I will send in the Transmitter to Horizon just to make sure it is working correctly.

Tony