Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

"home-made" servo reverser?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "home-made" servo reverser?

i was wondering, instead of using a servo reverser, can i just switch the red and black leads on the servo connector for the same effect? this is essentially what a "servo reverser" does, right?

thanks,
brian
Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "home-made" servo reverser?

nope!

you need to open the servo up, reverse the two leads from the amp to the motor and reverse the two leads from the amp to OUTER posts on the pot.

IMHO this is better than using a reverser.

dave
Old 10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A BIG NO

The electronics needs the 4.8V to translate the servo pulses from the receiver. If you reverse the red and black, the best thing that will happen is the servo won't work. More likely though, it will fry the servo because the voltage is backward. Just think what would happen if you reversed the battery leads on your car.

Why don't you just reverse it in the transmitter. Even my old iron transmitters have that capibility.

Don
Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Why don't you just reverse it in the transmitter. Even my old iron transmitters have that capibility.

because we don't have that luxury when putting two servos on a Y harness?

dave
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I kind of forgot about Y harnesses. I have a 9Ch Transmitter and my recivers are all at least 7 channels, so I gang two channels instead of using a Y harness, and each servo has it's own channel. If you can't do that, then you do need a reverser on some applications, IE split elevators. For Ailerons you don't need a reverser.

Don
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
redfox435cat

you either have to mix two channels together and reverse one. watch it cause some radios don't allow you to trim the slave channel. get a pair of programmable hitec digital servos and a programmer. big$$, you might as well go get a 9 channel radio and forget about it. or get a reversing y-harness. I made my own reverser with a pair of 555 timers but that was a PITA and with the time involved I'll just buy one from now on.

you simply can not just switch the + and -. You'll blow the preamp and timer in the servo. let the smoke out if you dare but the servo will be useless afterward.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
ZAGNUT

yeah, it was the split elevator with two servos on a Y that i was thinking about... like you i haven't had to deal with this either since moving to a programmable radio.....but i still have a lot of old servos that underwent surgery and have a big R scratched onto the side of the case

dave
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
jlingrel

Why not just reverse it in the transmitter, a lot less trouble

John
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

ok, i guess i'll just have to get a servo reversing y-harness. i've also thought about using another channel for the 2nd servo (for split elevators), but i only have a 6 channel receiver and i'm running out of channels. a friend of mine offered to let me use his servo programmer this weekend, but i'm a little impatient and wanted to get it done today.