Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

KARBONITE GEARS FOR GASSER?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 PM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KARBONITE GEARS FOR GASSER?

Anybody wanna weigh in on whether the Karbonite gears in Hitec servos will stand the vibration of of a Zenoah G45 on control surfaces?
I have always used metal gears, but Hitec offers some pretty dandy hi-tork servos at a reasonable price.
Plane will be a sport-aerobatic craft, weighing about 16 pounds.
Thanx...croz
Old 10-14-2006, 02:33 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: KARBONITE GEARS FOR GASSER?

I think Hitec advises against the use of Karbonite-geared servoes on gassers -- the vibration levels are too high.

Karbonite is a bit like glass -- really strong but also very brittle. Just as glass can take an immense strain, so can Karbonite. However, just as a very light tap in the right place with a hammer can shatter glass into a million pieces -- so it is with Karbonite.

Think of Karbonite as a stronger (but not tougher) form of nylon -- not as a replacement for metal.

Right now, the only servos I use on a gasser are the HS5995TG. They're *strong*, light, fast, have gears that just never seem to wear out, and are under $100 a pop if you hunt hard enough. Yeah, $100 sounds a lot -- but you can often use 1 5995TG where you'd need two conventional servos (on larger birds) and unlike regular metal-geared servos, you won't have to spend a third the original purchase price on new gears every season or two.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I don't know anything about karbonite gears but I have a Weeks Special powered by a G45 that I bought at the Toledo auction in 1998 that is still flying. It has all standard servos with nylon gears. I had a servo problem once - it turned out to be a corroded connector
Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2rolls,

I believe the Hitec recommendation for Karbonite gears is: One servo per surface per 12 pounds of airplane. They also have a question-and-answer (support thread) in here somewhere.