Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What radio to buy...and where

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 06:23 PM
FlyingZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio to buy...and where

I am about to build a GP tracer (kinda pattern looking ship). It requires 5 servos. I am looking to get a radio with dual rates. My local club is mainly into Futaba and Airtronics radios. Does anyone have suggestions for a radio they would get? Price is an object....don't have a lot of money. Is computer the way to go?

Zee
Old 02-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Phil Cole

If you want a Futaba, then the 6XAS is the one to get. The Airtronics RD6000 is pretty good, too. The RD is shift-selectable, so will work with all receiver brands. There are two models of the RD, one being a bit less capable than the 6X, and the other at least as good, maybe with a few more features.

They all have dual rates, but with a computer radio, look for it having expo. This is really much nicer, and it's certainly on my 'must have' list.

For the Tracer, you will need flaperon mixing, preferably with aileron differential, to operate the two aileron servos. Some other mixes, like rudder to aileron and rudder to elevator may help for knife-edge, though I tend not to use them since I forget to turn them off when doing stall-turns and other vertical manoeuvres.

An airbrake function can help shorten approaches, but I don't think you'll get that in a six-channel.

One of the big advantages of the computer radios is their ability to store setups for multiple models. This includes storing the trim settings, travel adjustments, mix rates, control rates. If there are more models in your future this is a big consideration.

You can also look at the Hitec Eclipse or JR 652. The JR has a good set of features for a six-channel. The Eclipse is a seven channel, so costs a bit more, but has more features.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:14 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with either of the two radios previously mentioned. One thing to consider, if you are going to need instruction you should get a radio that is compatable with what your chosen instructor is using so you can use a buddy cord.

Vince
Old 02-07-2002, 03:16 AM
FlyingZee

Default buddy box not a problem

Our club instructors have both futaba and airtronics budy boxes, so that is not a problem. The GP Tracer is going to be my first build, but certainly not my last. I enjoy not only the flying side of this hobby, but I like to tinker and model. I anticipate building multiple models, and I hope to keep at least 2 glow models in the hanger with engines, and perhaps an electric park flyer for the field behind my lab. With a flight pack costing about $100, is it worth it to go with a computer radio with multiple memory, or getting a new radio with a new model.

I really like the Futaba 6xas, but tower says they have discontinued it. As I do not have a local shop, I have to mail order. Are there other sites out there you recommend?

ZEE
Old 02-07-2002, 04:01 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Futaba 6XAS

I have one and it's great. easy to use. Tower has them in stock with the 3004 BB servos. Pete
Old 02-07-2002, 02:17 PM
George in TX

Sorry, my mistake.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:07 AM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

OMG i cannot believe you told him airtronic or futaba??

Just kidding.........good radios...but if you want a great radio at around the same price look at the JR line of radios....they got some great radio's and some even better tech support......but really go look at those radios and pick them up and then go pick up a JR radio and you will be Hooked!!!!!!!!!

I Had a JR 652 for years and just recently sold it with a plane and he will have that radio for years......if something goes wrong i personally know JR stands behind there radios.....(I.E.) my daughter dropped mine on the concrete broke the crap out of it....i thought it was done....sent it in to JR and the went completely thru it and replaced all the broken parts....sticks and the case......all Free of charge...this radio was 3 yrs old!!!......Just before you go buying one of the OTHER radios check out JR....you won't be sorry

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...p?Prod=JRP6612**&pc=JRP6612**
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2476_480.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2393