Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitters on aircraft.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitters on aircraft.

Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or know anything about a two way RC transmitter? In theory, if you've got a good electronic hack I'm sure you could gut and modify a cheap FM transmitter to fit inside of an aircraft for two way communication but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of units that were designed for it? I'm researching for a simple but effective feedback method for the aircraft.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:57 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

What information are you trying go get back from the airplane? If you have a ham ticket, you can use a GPS unit, text overlay board and an onboard TV tx to relay the information via a tv signal to a small tv set set on cable ch 57-60. Have a tv with a video tape recorder and make a permanent record. Messing with a 72 mhz tx is against FCC regulations.

Elson
Old 01-20-2003, 05:02 AM
Lynx

The TV transmitter with text overlay is a little over complex for what I want to do, I believe in a hardcore kiss attitude I'm thinking more along the lines of using a miniature TX module that broadcasts on the standard 72MHz channels for a down-link, but no one's ever bothered to try to miniaturize the electronics in a standard TX, I'm wondering if an interface for the TX module on a Futaba radio might be possible. I just want to transmit down RC signals of my own. I've experience generating servo signals with a micro controller and generating the baseband signal for a TX signal is no problem, I'm just trying to find some legal method for actually modulating it to an RF signal, without having to hassle with a HAM license unless I absolutely have to. A miniature RC transmitter seems easy cause you just have a simple RX on the ground to receive the signal. and 72MHz is for air anyways so there's no FCC violations there as long as the hardware can be rigged legally. Interfacing with a Futaba TX module seems like a best bet, but I've not had the time so far to research much on that yet. The main reason for transmitting is telemetry, RC signals are good for that, and if a standard TX module could be used, 6-8 channels is more than enough
Old 01-20-2003, 06:52 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Transmitting back from the airplane is not R/C as the FCC sees it, it is telemetry which is not authorized on our 72 Mhz frequencies. Years ago, a company started to market a telemetry unit on 72, using Hitec modules such as you describe. As soon as AMA go wind of it and went to the FCC, they were cited and soon disappeared.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:37 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

lynx

"72MHz is for air anyways so there's no FCC violations there as long as the hardware can be rigged legally"

Open the tx, change the crystal and you are in violation of FCC regs for 72 mhz. The whole purpose of amature radio (ham) and the protected frequencies is for the experimenter. The Tech license is a no code test and if you have the experience with electronics that you suggest, 1-2 day review and you could pass the test.

Elson K2BUG
Old 01-20-2003, 02:00 PM
smokingcrater

Also, for less money then the onscreen method, you could set up a small tnc, basic stamp, and a radio like the credit card alinco or a yaesu vx-1r. I believe there is a single chip tnc out also. (tnc is basically a modem for ham's...) The basic stamp would give you more than enough inputs to gather any data you want. (windspeed, rx voltage, engine temp, fuel level...)

Ryan
kc0lmo