Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HS-77BB servo

Old 01-18-2003, 09:32 PM
EdMan-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HS-77BB servo

Hey,
I'm looking at buying several of these HS-77BB low profile servo's to place in the wing and dual elevator control (servos in tail section) for a .60 size fun fly/3D plane. The specs seem good. 61 oz.in torque, .18 sec speed at 1.23 oz weight. What do you guys think? Anyone ever use these servos.

Thanks for any input,
EdMan
Old 01-19-2003, 02:37 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default Hitec 77's

I've been using them in a couple of ducted fans and they have worked fine. Two years and plenty of flights with no problems.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:05 PM
EdMan-RCU

Thanks for the reply.
Does any one else have anything to say about these HS 77BB? I read many, many post last night here on RCU about Hitec servos, with many diff opinion's. Not much, if any feedback on the HS77's. Not sure if this is good or bad. People not using them for a reason I am missing? :spinnyeye I will be putting these servo's in the Dazzle that Horizon is now offering. Still need to decide on an rudder servo though..............

Thanks,
EdMan
Old 01-19-2003, 05:49 PM
The PIPE

Default The HS-77 "widebody" servo is one of my two MAIN analog servos from Hitec....

Dear EdMan:

The PIPE here, yet AGAIN....and I've got one of these VERY useful servos on the barndoor Frise ailerons of my 1980s vintage Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40, my only currently flyable RC plane at the moment...even though the OS FS-40 "pre-Surpass" four stroke engine (ALL I fly with is four strokes!!! ) that's on the "Swizzler's" nose is in DIRE need of NEW BEARINGS before I can fly with it again!

In the Hitec analog servo line I've rapidly found that the HS-225 mini servo (along with its metal gear brother, the 225MG) and the HS-77 "aileron" servo are a VERY useful pair of servos for most any "normal" sized 40-60 sized RC aircraft!

If I need anything more powerful than either of these very versatile servos for LARGER four stroke powered aircraft, I'd go for the Hitec 5625 digital servo for "one notch higher" than the HS-77, and for the 5945 digital for about the largest servo I'd think I would ever need for four stroke powered Giant Scale models.

Now, DUAL HS-77s for ailerons IS a great idea for even a "smallish" Giant Scale model, but upward past that size, the Hitec digitals DO attract my interest quite a bit.

I'm also VERY strictly a single stick Tx flier who does build all his own control gear, so my airborne gear tends to be aftermarket by nature for the most part. My usual 72 MHz Rx is the Hitec model 3800 "shift selectable" unit, and the Rx that will be my standard for 50 MHz Ham flying will be the FMA Quantum-8 unit. I also build ALL my own battery packs from Sanyo NiCad and NiMH cells that I get from TNR Technical in Florida.

For SERVOS, though it is VERY tough to beat Hitec's line of analog AND digital servos...which SHOULD get even larger where Hitec just bought out Multiplex of Germany very recently...and in the analog line Hitec puts out, that HS-77 is one of my TWO shining stars for "everyday" sized RC sport usage!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:34 AM
EdMan-RCU

Hey Pipe,
Thanks for chiming in on my post. So far the HS-77BB are looking good, not bad remarks. I may go with the 5625 on the rudder as there is more control surface. I am alittle weary of using the HS-225's on the elevator (or any large control surface) as I hear lots of problems with them stripping gears. Yes, they do look good on the spec, torque and speed, but I hear the teeth on the small nylon gears are fragile when it comes to a big control surface........... With that, the HS77's seem light (1.23oz) with good torque and speed.

Thanks,
EdMan
Old 01-20-2003, 03:17 AM
The PIPE

Default My TWO veteran Scale bipes are BOTH getting these two servos...

Dear EdMan:

The PIPE here yet again-and my two 1980s-built veteran bipes are getting all-Hitec servo packages for their return to the air during this year!

My "small" 42" wingspan (roughly 1/6th scale) RCM/Gordon Whitehead plansbuilt Bücker Jungmeister...

which honors the most successful "mixed-gender" music act of all time, Scandinavia's ABBA...

...and my 1/6th scale model of OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME'S Canadian Fleet 16B Finch biplane...which is getting a new Saito FA-56 four stroke engine to replace its older FA-45 powerplant...

...are getting BOTH of the servos I mentioned in my reply to you!

The Jungmeister, to be powered with a Saito FA-30 four stroke engine, is getting four HS-225 mini servos with one of the metal geared units for the rudder control, to help THAT servo out with landing shocks to the J-3 Cub style tailwheel setup it has nowadays...and those HS-225 servos are very nearly AS fast as the older coreless-motored Ace Bantam Midget servos it used to use.

Only the throttle on my Fleet Finch is going to get an HS-225, as the scale Frise ailerons on it, along with the elevator, will be operated with HS-77 servos, one per control function...and that HUGE checkerboard colored rudder, since it's coupled in with the scale cable steering of a VERY HEAVY 2" diameter tailwheel (scale size, no kiddin') is getting a Hitec 5625 digital servo, the VERY first digital one I've ever used!

I had to leave RC Scale flying way back in 1985, one year before I left the hobby in 1986 for a 15 year period...now that I'm back, and have flown my veteran Swizzle Stick for over a year now (since May 2001) I SHOULD be ready to take these two old favorites of mine into the air once again!

Don't worry, I KNOW the HS-225 isn't for the aerodynamic controls on something much larger than my little Jungmeister...but those HS-77s fill the gap NICELY between the 225 and the 5625 digital servo, and are a great choice for my 7-pound Fleet.

The Fleet will be first in the air during this summer...the Jungmeister has a LOT of work to go on it before it's ready to fly again, mostly due to oil soaked wood that has to be dried out first! The Fleet only needs a new set of elevator surfaces for it to be built, and its new Saito 56 to be all broken in!

And to fly a model BIPLANE again, during the year we all celebrate the CENTENNIAL of BIPLANE flight...how much better can it get???

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:09 AM
EdMan-RCU

Hey PIPE,

Nice planes, thanks again for the info. Looks like I may go 4 HS-77 (2 wings & 2 elevators) and maybe a 5625 on the rudder. The control surfaces are pretty large on this bird.

EdMan
Old 01-21-2003, 01:52 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have used many hs -77 servos in fun flys and other planes and consider them a good servo.... BUT There motors are not heavy enough to handle the 3d loads imposed by a fun fly on the rudder or elevator. Over the last few years I have had 3 hs 77 motor failures in FF's. 2 on the rudder and one on the elevator.
There motors seem to be fine for the more limited movement of ailerons but the huge throws on the tail surfaces seem to be a problem for them. The gear trian is allways fine, it the motor/amp that fails
Old 01-21-2003, 09:37 PM
The PIPE

Default Perhaps the 5625s MIGHT be a better bet for those 3-D "floppy chickens"...

Dear SmallFly:

The PIPE Here again-and if the HS-77's motor-and-driver PC board combo isn't QUITE up to handling your 3-D flying needs, perhaps that "budget digital" Hitec 5625 servo is what you need!

My late flying instructor, SAM FREY, up here in New England used to refer to 3D flyin' fun fly planes, like some of the Morris Hobbies designs, in the early 1990s as "floppy chickens", since they were always "floppin-around" in the sky doing inside loops within the LENGTH OF THE FUSELAGE and rolling so fast one couldn't count the number of rolls in one second!

Like I said previously, the 5625 is going to be operating the MASSIVE rudder on my RC Scale Fleet Finch bipe along with the HUGE scale 2 inch diameter tailwheel...and I'd bet that with the FAST speed and high torque of that servo, that the 5625 would be a good match with your 3-D "hangin'-on-the prop" wonder-plane of yours...it's just a suggesstion!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:58 AM
EdMan-RCU

Well,

Lets hope these HS 77's hold up, just ordered 4 of em for two aileron's, two elevators and a 5625 for the rudder from Servo City.
Tom at SC had nothing but good commits on the HS77's. He even agreed that the 225's would not be a good choice for this application. Thanks to all for chiming in!

Regards,
EdMan