Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Considering German made ORBIT ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering German made ORBIT ?

An interesting thread:
http://www.rcairport.com/discussion_...&threadid=4307
Old 01-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Mighty Mik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen something to the effect that under certain conditions, you can cause lithium batts to burst into flames with an Orbit...try this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=orbit+fire

There are other chargers that may meet your needs.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Lynx

About the lipoly battery's bursting into fire. I'd imagine it was one of the first lipoly's that came out, the newer ones have an interesting little strip built into the battery that limits the current as the heat goes up so bad things like that don't happen. Given a bit more time, and a few more fires like this =\ manufactures will catch on and the technologies will settle down a bit.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:40 PM
rorywquin

I wonder if his power supply was up to the job - I imagine that charging a 30 cell pack would need a really good power supply. I know on my charger that the manufacturers are very specific about the specification for a power supply and prefer a battery supply (70Ah minimum - I think).

Lithium packs need a specific charger and should not be charged on any charger that is not designed for the purpose!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Mighty Mik

I wonder about his supply as well. what happened is that the input voltage glitched, and caused the CPU to reset. Then the stupid thing saw a battery attached and tried to charge it. My Dymond won't do that. when it resets it goes back to the main manu.

There are dedicated Li chargers coming out all the time. Bishop Power Products (?) makes one, and there another one being beta'd right now, should be out soon. It's designed with Kokams in mind.

30 cells? what are you building, a robot?