Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using DIN connector for multiple servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:59 AM
ROCKYJS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using DIN connector for multiple servos

I want to use a 7 pin DIN connector for making a single connection on the 5 servos on my DC-3: 1 Plus, 1 Minus (2 throttle, 1 aileron, 1 flap, 1 retract signals). Does anyone have any experience or tips using a hookup like this or am I dreaming? I hate going into the snake pit and making all the connections plus the extensions. Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Mr T.

You can do even better than that. You can use 9 pin D connector, just like the serial port on your PC. I use this method to connect 4 wing servos to the receiver in the fuse in my f3J gliders. I put a piece of appropriate heat shrink tubing over each wire before soldering it to connector, slide it away from the end, solder it to the pin and repeat the process for all wires. When finished with soldering I slide all heat shrink pieces all the way to connector and shrink them all at once. You can also put a zip tie or a piece of heat shrink close to connector to keep all the wires together. I use twisted servo leads from connector to servos and usually cut original servo lead and solder it directly to the cable coming from connector. Dont forget to secure soldered connections with heat shrink!

I found this method to produce very reliable, convenient and compact connections. In my glider application I use female connector on the wing side and it is bolted to the bottom of it where it mates with the fuse. Male connector in the fuse is free and can be pulled some 2 inches out just enough to easily connect it to the wing.

In your case I would glue a metal bracket or two hardwood pieces somewhere in the fuselage close to the wing and bolt connector to it. Other connector coming from the wing would just be pllugged into it. All in all very quick and easy model assembly, not to mention very neat and clean installation.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:35 PM
rorywquin

http://www.rc-soar.com/tech/d-connector.htm

Useful article !
Old 01-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the "mini DIN" it is a lot smaller and lghter. I started using them about 5 years ago . They have worked very well.
There are some very high quality minis available at Mouser Electronics and Digi-Key.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:09 AM
ROCKYJS
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the input. Just what I needed!