Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo load testing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:03 AM
MikeRuth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo load testing?

Have you ever seen a load testing device?

I was thinking of a setup that would be cheap and allow you to cycle the servo under a moderate load.

I'm not interested in actual numbers, since many of todays servo's I believe have current limiting devices built in.

I'm just thinking that a small rig that you mount your servo into, connect a couple of springs in opposite directions from the servo arm and fix them at the other end, would let you apply a moderate load and then cycle it for a few minuets.

Add a degree wheel and a pointer maybe just to enhance the visual of the arm movement, and look for any gitters through the range of motion.

Does this sound like a pratical thing to do?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
MikeRuth

Default RE: Servo load testing?

BUMP anybody have an opinion?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You could set up a shaft with a control horn connected to the servo and another arm at right angles to hang a weight on. The servo would only be loaded in one direction but you could get a number on torque.

I have never seen a servo with current limiting and most modern high torque servos pull 2 to 3 amps when starting so be careful not to put too big a load on them.

Jim
Old 11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Mike, I sent you a PM.
I have been doing such testing.