Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Trouble - futaba 8u

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Rustysocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Trouble - futaba 8u

Recently pulled a 8U out of storage charged the batteries and everything was working fine with my R30.

The radio was dusty so I took a q-tip to it and cleaned it all up like new. While I was at it I removed the frequency module from the back of the radio. After replacing the module the radio glitches like crazy and is now unusable.

I read about cold solder joints on the module connector so I removed the back of the radio and inspected the pins. That does not appear to be the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas to check?

At this point I guess the radio will have to go in for service. I see two options. Futaba factory or Radio South. Anyone have experience with either? Guesstimates on cost??

I wonder if I should put money into this set or just pick up something new?
What would you guys do?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio Trouble - futaba 8u

Somewhere I think I heard about dirty contacts doing this. Try cleaning the contacts and making sure you have good connections.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
chrisF test pilot

Try what Hank said, use a pencil eraser and clean the contacts. If you do have to send it in Radio South has excellent service. Give them a call and they can probably give you a rough guess on cost. I have one and they are great radios, even compared to whats out right now.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Rustysocket

ORIGINAL: chrisF test pilot

Try what Hank said, use a pencil eraser and clean the contacts. If you do have to send it in Radio South has excellent service. Give them a call and they can probably give you a rough guess on cost. I have one and they are great radios, even compared to whats out right now.
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. I've had the module out a bunch of times now and I have a suspicion there is more going on....but hey it never hurts to try... that's why I came here first.

I love my 8u (took a long time to learn how to program) and have been researching other radios. The 7c just doesn't have enough knobs for me and the 9c is out of my budget for now...

Looks like the 8 is going in for service and I will make do with a 6 on the heli till I get it back.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Agree, we have quite a few 8U's still flying at our field. They seem to be fine radios. If it doesn't come back I certainly would send it in for repair. Rates are really very reasonable these days and service is great.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

You need to pull the back coever off and touch up the solder joints on the pins. This is a known problem with this radio. There are several threads on this somewhere.