Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

hitec optic 6 (are all bad?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hitec optic 6 (are all bad?)

I have a new optic 6 coming my way, but just discovered that there seem to be a lot of problems with them. I ordered mine with "normal" crystalls and no spectra module. Will I be alright then? Are the known problems only conserning the optional spectra module? please tell me if I should keep my new radioset or return it
Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: hitec optic 6 (are all bad?)

We have at least four of them in the club and know many others with them. None have any problems with any of them. If I were buying another transmitter, it would probably be an Optic6 as they are a very good buy for the money.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
asmund

ohhh, great Thanks alot, I will keep my radio when it arrives then
Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi asmund,
The only problem with the Optic 6 was glitching with the Spectra synth module, no problem since you have opted for a standard crystal module, this is just my 2 cents here, but folks with normal crystal modules seem to have fewer problems than those using synthesized modules, or as some call them "dial a crash"
I hope by the time you get your new radio there is still some daylight for flying[], or that your fingers don't freeze[X(].
Look who's talking about (pronounced aboat in "Canadian" ) cold here, I live about 50Km from the Canadian border A tropical paradise it's not
Regards,
Pete
Old 11-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Bone

And here in Australia it gets hot, very hot........sadly no snow where I live [X(]

However, I digress.........

I purchased an Optic 6 with standard receiver/crytstals in June 2005. No problems whatsover. I was so impressed, I purchased a 2nd receiver & crystal to take advantage of the Tx model memory. Used the set yesterday at the field - it's great
Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 AM
asmund

Great news! thanks guys I guess I`ll be grounded for a couple of months now, just waiting for the stormy and dark weather to let go, cold is another matter though.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:27 AM
ChrisMH

Just another thumbs-up for the Optic 6. I have one (standard crystal), and have never had a problem with it. You'll be happy with it. Lots of features and easy to program.

Chris

Old 11-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Rodney

All the Optic6's mentioned in my above post use the Spectra Module, still no problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

I've used an Optic 6 (standard crystal) all summer and absolutely love it. Only problem I've had is that the little metal handle bar came off when one of the plasic plugs that hold it on came off. Just CAed it back on and it was good to go. I've got all 8 memory slots full and have never run into any problems. Hopefully Hitec releases a 9ch version, I'd be all over it.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And not all of the ones with Spectra modules have a problem. I have two sitting on the shelf (went to the Futaba 9C for the memories and advanced programming) that never gave be any problems. need to remember to toss them on eBay one of these days, but still a very goot TX IMHO.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:51 PM
asmund

Well today my optic 6 arrived and I must say it looks good, I just hope I figure out how to use all that extras I`m not used to have, on my previous radio. Do they all come with the HPD-07RH shock absorber technology Q-pcm reciever? I thought they came with the cheaper FM (ppm) dual conversion recievers and that the HPD-07RH was an optional upgrade. Mine came with the more expensive reciever.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have several in our club. Not problems that I know of.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
sixputt

Hi

I have an optic 6 as a secondary Tx. I still use it from time to time as I am too lazy to re maiden some of my older planes.
What I have noticed is that if anybody is flying with a frequency next to mine, I definatly get interference. I dont experience problems with my JR 9x2 whilst flying with the same guys.

Otherwize the Rx is very user friendly.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What kind of radios are the other guys flying? Problem may be their radios. If they are on neg shift I would think you would be more prone to get interference.

Of course this is a receiver issue, not a transmitter issue.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I've been flying my Optic 6 with Spectra module for over a year on 6 different airplanes. I have not had any problems. It's a fantastic transmitter for the money.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:23 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: aeajr
If they are on neg shift I would think you would be more prone to get interference.
Hi Ed,
I had to think about that a bit, I think that it depends whether the adjacent channel is the one above, or the one below.
For example if I'm on ch 42 with a neg. shift system and Billy Bob is on 41 with a positive shift radio, that would be a worst case scenario as each of our radios shift or deviation is toward the freq of the other guy, so if any radio is off calabration a bit there could be interference. Bottom line, don't fly with Billy Bob
Best wishes to All for a Joyus Holiday,
Pete
Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
BMonee
Banned

It is possible that not every single one of them are bad, however, the vast majority seem to have problems. Mine likes to go completely dead while my plane is at 200 feet up. I have already sent it back to the manufacturer twice for repairs and it only has about 2 hours of flight time.
In my opinion, this is a horrible product. I would get anything but this TX.

BMonee
Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 AM
ira d

My Optic other than the handle breaking and the sub trim lock up problem seems
to work ok, I dont use much sub trim so that is a non issue with me.
Im going to continue using it as long as it works ok but for the time being im not
going to purchase anymore Hitec products at least new ones.