Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Servos

Old 01-30-2003, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Programing contest

P51-B: You got that right!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conflict

please go back to argueing about who has the crappiest servo's. SOOOO entertaing.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Oh. . PHOOOIIIEEEE!!!!!!!!!

NOW you've gone and made me. . uh. . . something. . . .

Look, guys, think about what you are saying for a moment. YOU want the top pilots to use NO mixes, no dual rates, no nothing. . just a 4-channel AM radio.

FINE!!!!

In that case. . they will all wind up flying ONE type of plane. . because there will be only ONE plane that has the least amount of tuck, rollout, and adverse characteristics!!! (probably a 260 or Edge)

THEN. .the next thing you will want is a 1:1 power:weight ratio. .

Then. .the plane has to be 99% SCALE

Then the grading system has to be modified to reflect IAC mentality instead of "model" mentality. .

Then. . gee, the 40% planes fly too well. . let's limit them all too 100 inches. . .

Then. . Oh DARN, I STILL Can't outfly the top dogs. . let's see. .NOW they have to have one eye covered!!! YEAH!!!!!

OOps . .its STILL a contest of mixology. . THAT guy adjusted the SPRING tension on his transmitter!!!! Gotta take that away too. .

Darn. .30% still flies too well. . Let's limit them to 1.20 sized motors and 25%!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waitiminit. . . . isn't that what they had in 1980-????????

Isn't Progress wonderful????

Chip Hyde practiced EVERY day for 3-4 hours for SIX months prior to the TOC. . . . . sometimes two flying sessions a day. . . he used an expiremental engine that was throttled back, flew a BIPLANE that was 7-8 years old, AND he WAXED the field!!!!!

I'm insulted that anyone would suggest it was a contest of being able to mix a plane better inside the transmitter, or had some "advantage". More than one person owes Chip a BIG apology. He earned every point he got at the TOC this year. . . and no amount of whining can take that away from him.

"Mixing" exists. . whether some people like it or not. Accept it.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:18 AM

Default Hitec Servos

OK I will OK the use of mix....just wonering what other RC people thought about it.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:44 AM

Default Hitec Servos

Kris said it best. Mixes are fine. There's nothing wrong with doing a little scripting to make what you need to do more tolerable. Who wants to really try to learn with no mixing or any ability to do so? Let them do anything they want, as long as they don't get feedback from the aircraft directly, aside from sight of course. Computers are there to assist in RC not take over. And the ONLY exception I give to that rule, and I hesitate slightly to do so because it does break the rules is Heading Hold Gyro's on Helli's, which actually partially 'think' for the pilot instead of 'act' like a standard Gyro does. Anything other than that, and you're 'leaving it to the machines' The only reason I give the Helli exception is because of the sheer complexity of the controls in a hover with wind.. They weren't meant to fly like that, they really weren't.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:10 AM

Default Gimme a break

I want to throw up when some one compares flying model airplanes to full scale.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:18 AM
Banned

Default YUCK

I usually throwup WHEN I fly in a full-scale!!!!

Vertigo is hell!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Flying

Beavertail: When you get done trrowing up.... let us know how RC competition should be done. as far as mixing goes! Capt,n
Old 01-30-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Wasnt that

just read someone bring up that full scale pilots dont use mixing, and thought that was rediculous to bring up. R/C is sooo much harder!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:00 PM

Default MIX

Beavertail: WHY?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default Hitec Servos

because YOU are not IN the PLANE!!!!!

no horizon references, no "inner ear" feel for what is going on, no gauges, artificial horizon or landscape for reference. . . .Just. ."Where is it going NOW???And how do I get it back straight?"
Old 01-30-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Hitec Servos

Funny.... there wasnt any fog when I took off.....
Old 01-30-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Hitec Servos

Yupper ...its getting foggy now!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:22 PM

Default harder

i can hover and do circuits with my heli ok. i thought," i'll have a go at full size", big mistake. i expected it to be as easy as flying the model. NO WAY. from outside, on a model, you can see if its going up down left right backwards forwards whatever. in the fullsize ( if you consider an R22 fullsize ) i found it very hard, almost impossible to tell which way we were going. i felt we were standing still so i pushed the stick forward and got a stiff verbal warning about diving us from the instructor. it only became apparent to me which way we were going when in a 6 foot hover. i spose in a plane you know you are going forward, but its not easy
Old 01-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Banned

Default Hitec Servos

For a chopper, yes, it's probably harder. In a full scale, its a lot easier to sense things, unless you become disoriented. . THEN you go on instruments. thing is, when flying aerobatics, you reference certain points on the ground, the horizon, and watch instruments for drift and heading. Imagine a slow roll. . .mild right aileron, as the nose drops when you get KE you apply left rudder automatically to keep the center of the canopy on TAHT spot on the horizon. .same when rolling to inverted and then through the rest of it till you are upright again. You basically AIM the plane, and factors such as tuck and rollout are automatically compensated for as YOU aim the plane where you want it to go.

RC. . you have no dot on the horizon to aim at. . you have to react before the plane moves. . . because if you are reacting after the plane moves, you are already too late.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Hitec servos

Now back to the Hitec servos so if someone clicks on.... they will be able to read about servos By the way... where are the best deals on Hitec servos? Thanks Capt,n
Old 01-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default Best Deals. .

Donalds Hobby
Servo City
Chief Aircraft.

All about the same price and substantially less expensive than Tower or horizon.

BTW!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered one of the 2.6m Fiberclassics 330L's. . GUESS which servo's I'm going to use in it???

Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Hitec Servos

Alot of people love Servo city, Id try them out if I bought Hi tec
Old 01-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Banned

Default Hitec Servos

donalds has a special on 5945's. . 78.99 each ..Servo city is selling them for $88 right now
Old 01-30-2003, 10:35 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hitec Servos

Back to servos. I hear this a lot: "Use the correct servo for the application." Well now, I just gotta ask, "How the heck do we figure this out?"

Example: An experienced giant scale modeler in a LHS told me to put HS225BB's in the tail to run the elevators of my 1/4 scale plane. I'm kinda new to this, so I bite. Specs look good. Lots of torque and they're lightweight. What could be the problem?

To put it mildly, that was a very bad idea - even after upgrading them to MG. I now have a bellcrank in the tail with a 5625 in the servo tray driving the elevators. This is so much better! The total setup costs less, has much better centering, has less tail weight, and can take the abuse.

If you ONLY have at the specs of the servo, how do you know if it's a good choice or a bad choice? Servo manufacturers don't publish the specs we need to make the proper choices.

How do we know, for example, that the 225 is more appropriate for small planes with small control surface movements?

Sorry for the stupid question. I think I'll be able to use the 225MG's in a GP Patriot.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default GREAT QUESTION

Gee. . as far as I know there is no real "rule of thumb". I spent the better part of the afternoon today considering the exact same issue. . WHICH servo/servos are "right' for the elevators in my 38% 260? Do I need 4, or two? Where to locate them, on the stabs or on the fuselage, or even. . perhaps, up in the waist.

Here's the answer I came up with. .

First off, I NEED tail weight since I have a TOC140 on the nose, and the plane is kind of short coupled. . . That settles the basic "location' question. so. .do you NEED tail weight? if so, use the servos back there. .if not, try to find a way to get them out of there, such as the belcrank setup and longer pushrods. .

Second consideration .. HOW MUCH TORQUE do I need. . . well. . the elevators are each 23" long, with an average chord of about 4.5". .MOST people would say 2 servos/side. .but then I looked closely at my setup. . the hingeline is recessed into the elevators about 1", effectively adding a little "aerobalancing" as well as slightly "static" balancing the surface, so the force required to both move it, AND prevent flutter, is substantially reduced. In this case I can use ONE strong servo/side and it will be plenty.

Then I considered what kind of flying I had built the plane around. . In this case it was strictly PATTERN flying, with maybe a little fun-stuff thrown in, but not much. This dictated less throw on the surfaces, with higher concentration on precision and resolution, so I would be under-driving the elevator on each side by making the servo move 45 degrees in order to get 30 degrees of deflection. Again, this lent itself to using only one servo, since one servo can easily handle this job.

finally. .Location. .On the stabilizer, or on the side of the plane. . . both have advantages. . and disadvantages. The biggest consideration I saw was moments of angularity between the surfaces control horn and the servos output arm. If the servo and elevator horn both move in the same direction, you effectively get 1:1 (or a linear ratio) for the entire movement range. BUT, if you set it up to where the servos arm and elevator horn move in OPPOSITE directions of rotation (one clockwise, the other counter-clockwise) you realize an increase in angularity as the servos arm points toward or away from the control horn, which gives the servo an increase in effective torque multiplication near the ends of movement. This helps take a lot of load off the servos arm as the amount of surface movement increases, but still maintains quick reaction and movement on the center of the movement arc. You can do a comparison by mocking the servo and elevator horn up and seeing how the differences in direction of rotation actually work to an advantage at high comparative angles.

So. .what did I wind up with? One 5945 HiTec per side, mounted on the fuselage, and rotating the opposite direction as the elevator. on another plane I may use 2/stab, rotating the same direction as the stab, and on another I may mount the servos up in the waist with long pushrods. . .

As far as servo speed and torque are concerned. Take what they advise for the plane, and add 50% of torque, and you should never have a problem. GOOD servos, that are fast and high in torque, are relatively inexpensive now, so it pays to get them and use them over "basic" servos.

JM2CW