Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HAM BAND, 50mhz?? 6 meter?? questions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 05:43 AM
vuaim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAM BAND, 50mhz?? 6 meter?? questions??

I would like to know what's the difference between 50mhz ham band and the regular 70mhz radios? Aren't they the same? what's so special about 50mhz? also what is "6 meter" thing that they are talking about? I also heard that you need a licences to use them.....really, why?? I'm clue less about these things. hehe
Old 01-24-2003, 05:50 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

50mhz/6 meter is pretty much interchangeable, for this purpose.
(If that helps)

Yes, you'll need an amatuer radio license to use those frequencies.
Benefits, to a licensed ham?

Very few people have these frequencies, which usually means less waiting for a channel.
Ability to legally build/adjust/repair/modify your own transmitter.
Slightly increased allowable total power output ("up to" 1W, versus 750mw)
Old 01-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Lynx

6 meters is just a reference to the length of electromagnetic pulse in RF signals. Which is the speed of light divided by the number of oscillations per second. Like the last post said. The benefits are fewer RC users use them. Unless you're willing to put the time into learning some RF theory and it's a hobby of yours no normal or advanced user really needs a HAM license just to get access to 50MHz. It's mostly for people that are doing custom radio interfaces because most HAM's will keep hands off of the lower end of the 50MHz spectrum for RC use.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Mighty Mik

One point is that 6 meters is not segregated into 'air' and 'surface'...it can be used for both. The other is that generally...if you're on a 6 meter frequency, it's pretty much yours. I know the people in my area that fly 6, and know what channels are in use. I plan to get my own 6 meter module in the near future.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 PM
vuaim

Ok, with all that you guys said, I'm still confuse. Why do you have to have a licence to use 50mhz 6 meter hm band? What's so special about it? They all travel at the same speed which is light speed, radio waves right......Also, if you want to use 50mhz, all you have to do is buy a 50mhz module right??? Replace it with the 70mhz module that is presently in your radio right???
Old 01-24-2003, 10:41 PM
The PIPE

Default That 50 MHz band IS part of the AMATEUR RADIO licensed radio spectrum...

Dear Vuaim:

The PIPE Here yet again-and the 50 MHz band is part of the Amateur Radio Service licensed radio spectrum in the USA!

A Technician-class FCC Amateur Radio license is REQUIRED for legal use of the 50.8-51 MHz "RC-usable" portion of the "six meter" 50-54 MHz amateur radio service by ANYONE...no kiddin'...and if you notice my reply here, MY amateur radio service, or "Ham" radio callsign, is shown on each and every post I make here at RCU!

All you will need to do, once you get yourself a Technician class amateur radio service license, to get your radio gear onto the 50.8-51 MHz band is get the appropriate transmitter RF module on 50 mHz for your radio, and you'll be all set!

To get the info on how to get a Technician class Ham license for your OWN use, just go to http://www.arrl.org/ ...the homepage of the American Radio Relay League, which IS sort-of the AMA for the entire Amateur Radio community! For your area, in Roswell, GA, just check at (it's a LONG one) http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/clu...d+ARRL+section to get in touch with an amateur radio club in your area to find out how to start in getting a Technician-class amateur radio service license for yourself-and these days, you do NOT need to take a Morse Code test to get it...it's just ONE written multiple choice question test that you'd have to take on amateur radio service regulations and basic technical information...and passing THAT test gets your your Technician class Amateur radio license!

The listed amateur radio clubs in the link I mentioned for Georgia, with the "Help for Newcomers" and "Entry Level Classes" showing in the Services listing for each club are your best bet to find a local Ham radio club that can help you study and pass that multiple choice test for your Technician class Ham license-and IN that listing for clubs, I've bet I found for you a club that could be VERY NEAR to Roswell, GA, with the following listing for a Ham club that's VERY NEAR you...

Name: NORTH FULTON Amateur Radio LEAGUE
Specialties: General Interest
Call sign: N4CLA
Services: Help for newcomers, Other
Address: NFARL
P.O. BOX 1741
ROSWELL GA, GA 30077
Phone: (678)947-6472 (Day) (678)947-6472 (Night)
Web: http://www.nfarl.org
E-mail: [email protected]

It WILL be a bit of work to study the reference materials the Ham club that you get in touch with can help you to find, to study in order to take the Technician class Amateur Radio Service license exam-these exams are ALSO held by amateur radio clubs themselves nowadays-but when you take the test, and PASS it and get your first Amateur Radio Service Technician class license, the ONLY rules that specifically cover RC flying ON those 50.8-51 MHz frequencies in FCC's Part 97, the Amateur Radio Service regulations, are THESE...from the ARRL's own online version of the Amateur Radio Service regulations, at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/ ...

97.215 Telecommand of model craft.
An amateur station transmitting signals to control a model craft may be operated as follows:

(a) The station identification procedure is not required for transmissions directed only to the model craft, provided that a label indicating the station call sign and the station licensee's name and address is affixed to the station transmitter.

(b) The control signals are not considered codes or ciphers intended to obscure the meaning of the communication.

(c) The transmitter power must not exceed 1 W.

And that's IT...no more worrying about the FCC Part 95's RESTRICTIONS on your RC gear's specs, which are readable at http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr95_00.html , and are all under rules numbered 95.201 to 95.225! Remember, these "Part 95" rules CANNOT generally apply to your RC flying when you are doin' it on the 50 MHz Ham band!

Just hope YOU get in touch soon with a Ham radio club near you, and start finding out about how to get your VERY OWN Technician class Amateur Radio Service license-good luck!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-25-2003, 04:23 AM
vuaim

Dang The PIPE,
WOW, you did my home work for me.....hehe.....
Some of that info clear some of my questions.....I'll make sure to look into that Ham Club business, and maybe one of these days, I will get my amature licence, but for now, school comes first.....college that is......
Thanks again for info, I really apreciate it.......
Old 01-25-2003, 05:11 AM
Mettler1

To the PIPE: nice reply to vuaim's question. Been awhile since I was an active Ham although I still keep my license current. Have one tx on six meters. Not to many RC Hams to sell it to!

Have a good day. N8HNQ
Old 01-25-2003, 10:22 PM
onewasp

As has been very well explained earlier on this thread, six meters (50/53mhz) is not for unlicensed use. Six meters refers to the RF wave length.

There are some who have tried using six unlicensed! You'll or I should say "one" will get away with it only until he encounters a properly licensed HAM who will probably give the unlicensed user the option of ceasing use immediately or simply calling the FCC hot line to report the illegal use and request relief. The FCC has a way of being very emphatic!

Hams are a great group --- kind of "self policing".

The advantage is that you have only, "by comparison", a knowledgeable group of fliers who are aware of the potential interference problems and are quite courteous to each other.

I've been licensed and flying on "six meters" since the seventies. The reason I took the year required to go from CB to HAM operation was the third verified loss of a competition aircraft due to being shot down by a fellow flier who was "VERY SORRY!" ----- but that did nothing for my airplane and its mangled components.

My reaction was to get away from frequencies where no FCC examination was required. It worked!

If you are interested in gaining an amateur license, most Hams will offer to help you do so.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:02 PM
JetAwithPrist

On these same lines, I have a FCC General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL). I have been told that this encompasses classes of licenses below it, but can any of you guys tell me for sure if i am ok on 6 meters? I dont think i am going to anytime soon but i would just like to know.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Lynx

NOTE: Possession of a commercial radio operator license or permit does not authorize an individual to operate amateur radio stations. Only a person holding an amateur radio operator license may operate an amateur radio station.

That's straight from an FCC web page. If you ever want to though the Technician's license is now a no-code test and I believe is only 35 questions.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:27 AM
onewasp

My understanding is that code is still required, although at a much reduced rate ---- 5 words a minute . Some different from 15
wpm! That's General class on H.

I haven't used code in nearly thirty years and I'll bet I could do 10wpm with a few days of practice .

Some of the radiomen from the service don't even call it code if you can take it down long hand. What they don't realize is that there is a big difference between five days a week for 13 weeks when you are late teens or very early twenties and doing it on your own with a family job etc.

The technical (written) exam always was the same for both Tech. and General ---- again on H. When I took my license you had to go to the FCC location (I went to their Detroit office) and do both the written and code under direct supervision.

There was one guy who showed up trying to take it "on a flier" ---absolutely didn't prepare at all. I haven't seen anybody "reamed" like that since boot camp! In the end they told him not to come back even if he did prepare. The Examiner had steam rising --- not one question did he guess right.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:59 AM
JetAwithPrist

So what is on the test then if not code or not much code?
Old 01-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Lynx

The Technician grade license is now a no-code license. Not even 5wpm. 35 questions only.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:32 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

True, the exam is no code required, but the number of questions to obtain the licence is up to the Local Admin. I had 150 questions for my test administered in Virginia by the local Ham Club.

I had to wait 4 months to take the exam, and I was lucky as there's a waiting list to take it and it's given quarterly. If there's more applicants than they can handle, you may have to wait longer in some areas.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:12 AM
onewasp

Lynx

See www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/.

5 wpm stipulated, all license categories.

The three categories are Tech., General, and Amateur Extra.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:19 AM
onewasp

Lynx

To correct my last post, I found reference to Tech. without code.
First time I've found bum dope from ARRL ---- but there it is, as plain as day !
Old 01-26-2003, 04:38 AM
LoboFlyer

Originally posted by JetAwithPrist
On these same lines, I have a FCC General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL). I have been told that this encompasses classes of licenses below it, but can any of you guys tell me for sure if i am ok on 6 meters? I dont think i am going to anytime soon but i would just like to know.

Thanks
No, the Radiotelephone license shouldn't cover the Amateur bands. I don't know the exact reason, but one excuse is that you don't have a valid amateur callsign.

Of course, the benefit of the Radiotelephone license is that you can legally (AFAIK) repair your regular 72 MHz transmitter and still have it considered type-certified. Warranty will still be voided, though

Jeff -N0ZIG-
Old 01-26-2003, 09:37 PM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

onewasp states "
To correct my last post, I found reference to Tech. without code.
First time I've found bum dope from ARRL ---- but there it is, as plain as day !"

please go back and re-read the link you are referring to. You misunderstood what you read.
I am not trying to start an argument but r/cuniverse is great for providing valuable info and I can't sit by when mis-information is being stated as fact.

The tech class is in fact a no-code 35 question exam ( I took it last summer(2002)

Your referred to the web site below. Read it carefully !! I've copied a couple paragraphs off the site for you.

http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/
Amateur Restructuring is Here: Three License Classes, One Code Speed

"The bottom line is that starting April 15, 2000, there will be three license classes--Technician, General, and Amateur Extra--and a single Morse code requirement--5 WPM"

(This sentence says there will be 3 license classes and only 1 code speed requirement for the classes that require code. There used to be 3 code speed requirements.

"Under the new licensing scheme, there will be four examination elements. Element 1 will be the 5 WPM Morse code exam. Element 2 will be a 35-question written test to obtain a Technician license; Element 3 will be a 35-question written test to obtain a General license, and Element 4 will be a 50-question written test for the Amateur Extra license. The FCC has left it in the hands of the National Conference of VECs Question Pool Committee to determine the specific mix and makeup of written examination questions."

(only elements 3 & 4 require element 1)

"The FCC's new licensing plan means someone will be able to become a ham by passing a single 35-question written examination. "

( element 2 for the Tech class license)

ps - the test is rather easy if you have any electronic knowledge at all.

Eddie
KD5RJQ
AMA #80330
e-mail [email protected]
Old 01-26-2003, 09:56 PM
JetAwithPrist

So can anyone tell me what is actually on the test? I mean as i understand it there is no code in the 35 q. test, so what is actually ON it?
Old 01-26-2003, 10:21 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

It's been a long time for me... but I remember the classes covering knowledge of the bands, antennas,
general electronic knowledge, atmospheric layers, tropospheric ducting, etc... It's definitely much
easier if you can find a ham club in your area that will be hosting some training classes.

Here's a good "so ya wanna be a ham"-type page: http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html
And here's the link to finding a club in your area, by zipcode, state, callsign or name:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

They offer a book called "Now You're Talking" that will help a lot, if you're not into finding a club
and sitting in on some lessons. They also have a book that covers every question in the test pool,
but I see it's sold out until the new edition is printed, sometime in April.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:52 AM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

Radio shack had the "Now you're talkin" and " tech Q&A" books last time I looked. BUT with the tech Q&A book being re-written in april I'd probably wait on the new version unless you're sure you can learn the info and take a test before then.

I remember being told new tests were coming out soon and I am assuming that's why the book is being revised.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:12 AM
The PIPE

Default Dear Branded-sounds like you HAVE to find a more "lenient" Ham club...

Dear Branded:

The PIPE here, yet AGAIN...and after reading about that local Ham club to you, that made applicants take a 150 question test just to get your Technician license...it sure looks like you HAVE to find a more "lenient" Ham club to administer your Technician class license test!

When I had to take a 5 WPM Morse Code test, AND the General Class AND the old Novice Class tests to get my Technician class license way back in 1978-then administered by the FCC ITSELF, I took it a bit "easier" and got the old Novice class license first, to get the Morse Code and Novice class "game of twenty questions" multi-choice question exam "out of the way"...THEN I could go for the General class written exam, and get my Technician class license WITHOUT the stress of the Morse Code test being foremost in my mind!

Maybe it's a bit like trying to find a local RC club that has an "favorable atmosphere" among its members that doesn't make you want to feel like strangling them, due to clannishness-THAT's another issue all unto itself-and one I have a lot of personal experience with ...but perhaps that local "150-question" Ham club to you is of a similar "clannish" attitude, and you simply HAVE to find a more reasonable Ham radio club to take the Ham exam with, to make it a bit EASIER to get your Tech-class Ham license!

Some clubs in hobby activities just take themselves ALL TOO seriously, and it sure looks like that Ham club MIGHT be that same way...here's hoping that you can find ANOTHER Ham club, that won't try to "burn out your brain" with so MANY questions on your Technician class exam!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:32 AM
JetAwithPrist

thanks guys
Old 01-27-2003, 05:03 PM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

T1--COMMISSIONS RULES--9 questions from 9 groups
T2--OPERATING PROCEEDURES--5 questions from 5 groups
T3--RADIO WAVE PROPAGATION--3 questions from 3 groups
T4--AMATEUR RADIO PRACTICES--4 questions from 4 groups
T5--ELECTRICAL PRINCIPALS--3 questions from 3 groups
T6--CIRCUIT COMPONENTS--2 questions from 2 groups
T7--PRACTICAL CIRCUITS--2 questions from 2 groups
T8--SIGNALS AND EMISSIONS--2 questions from 2 groups
T9--ANTENNAS AND FEED LINES--2 questions from 2 groups
T0--RF SAFETY--3 questions from 3 groups

GOOD LUCK!!! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.