Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Differential aileron mixing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:01 PM
beavertail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential aileron mixing

Can anyone briefly tell me when this is needed. My radio has it and was wondering if I could use it.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

The aileron differential mixing is not really "needed". The purpose for it is to "program in" coordinated turns, but you can do it without differential by just using the rudder when you make a turn. For example, if you move your aileron stick to the left, you should move your rudder stick to the left a little too. The plane will track in the turn better.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:13 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is often used in a J3 Cub type aircraft because if the downward aileron(wing up) travels as much as the upward aileron(wing down), there is a lot of adverse yaw, and rudder may not overcome it, at least not immediately, so you can get some funny sloppy turns. For example in a right turn, first nose goes opposite turn(left), then rudder kicks in and things proceed normally with the nose heading right into the turn. With the differential, this is less pronounced.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:00 PM
pilot_error

Default Differential aileron mixin

I recently read that on some aircraft up deflection results in different drag that down deflection. That's why you get yaw with equal throws.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:57 PM
bentgear

On some planes it helps with the tracking while rolling the plane, ie. when you use aileron's to make a 360 degree roll does the plane look more like it is kork screwing thru the air. If so, using diferential you may be abe to tighten it up a little.
Normally one sides down deflection is set lower than the other sides up deflection. You can also acheive this by control horn placement on the aileron not being over the hinge gap.
Ed M.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:10 AM
bentgear

Can't beleave someone has not caught my mistake in the above statement. I wrote it backwards. Normally if using differential on the ailerons the side going up has more travel than the side going down.
Ed M.