Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buying a new transmitter

Old 01-26-2003, 06:34 AM
Harken
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new transmitter

I am on the verge of buying a new transmitter. My choices are:

Robbe/Futaba Fc-28
Graupner Mc-24
Multiplex Profi 4000

They all seem like very powerful radios and I see value in all but still cant make up my mind.

Here is my question, which is the more powerful, versital, and basicly which is the best one?

Question for the experts, which one would you get?

Thanks,
Harken
Old 01-26-2003, 10:35 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, what a question! Very very few people will have proper experience of 2 of them, never mind all 3 to be able to compare. And even then it often comes down to personal preference for an item that one has but another has something different. Availability of help, back-up and servicing might be a factor for you, in which case there is plenty of help here for Mpx, almost non-existent for Graupner and absolutely none for Robbe. The recent take-over of Mpx by Hitec might have a big bearing on the back-up and servicing of Mpx radios where you live.

Do a search for MC24 threads. You will find a number of users have had a serious software bug that shuts the Tx down while in use, in flight. According to one of the threads a group of German modellers tried taking Graupner to court.

I love my 4000 and will happily tell you to get one, but I have no expereince of the MC24 or FC28 to compare it to.

Harry
Old 01-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Harken

Default Transmitter decision

Harry,

Yeah I;m aware of the Multiplex takeover and that issue does concerne me if I were to purchase a Profi 4000. I understand it IS the most powerful radio out there and that intigues me since this should be a very long term investment.

I think the "bug" issue with the Graupner has discouraged me to not consider it anymore. We put too much money in our models to take such chances. I haxe a Vario Benzin Trainer Helicopter and see the expense of repair there. Im getting ready to build a 4 meter scale sailplane and with these kind of expenses I cant take chances with a radio with such a track record.

My helicoper instructor has the Robbe Futaba Fc-28 and simply loves it. Im still not clear if its a 8 + 1 channel or a 9 + 1 or even a 10 channel. 98% of what I see on the net is in German. It does have english manuals and another nice thing is its compatable with Futaba receivers of which I already have two.
Is the Multiplex transmitter compatable with Futaba receivers?
Als my instructor is an importer for Vario Helicopters and has a relationship with a Robbe service center in Germany which makes it convenientif there is ever an issue.

Well its down to a choice of 2 from the original 3. Graupner is out and its Robbe/Futaba vs. Multiplex..........

Anyones experinced comments are apreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:59 PM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Default Multiplex All the way

After having been out of this for 15+ years I did the same thing you did about 2 mos ago.

In a nutshell:
Futaba licenses their 9Z software from Multiplex. It is a version that MPX used in 1984!

Futaba is 10 bit resolution and only on the 4 stick channels. The rest drop down in resolution from there (don't remember to what). MPX is 16 bit resolution on ALL 12 channels!

I like my 4000! I used to be die hard futaba no more (except gyros).
Old 01-28-2003, 09:33 PM
HarryC

Default Re: Multiplex All the way

Originally posted by jtholley03
In a nutshell:
Futaba licenses their 9Z software from Multiplex. It is a version that MPX used in 1984!
Have you any proof of that?

Harry
Old 01-28-2003, 10:02 PM
jtholley03

Default MPX

Got it straight from Karlton at Multiplex sans merger.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:44 PM
HarryC

I would love it to be true and will laugh my socks off if it is true, and I will have a whale of a time telling it to all the users of the overrated Futaba christmas tree bauble.

BUT, not unless it is verifiable. From what I have read from Karlton I would not expect him to say a thing against Futaba, but he does have a vested interest in Multiplex! Unless there is some other corroboration, I can't believe it.

Harry
Old 01-29-2003, 03:00 AM
Casper07

Futaba makes the best and I have a 6xas, 8uafs, and the new 9cap which are all fairly easy to program and has every mixing there is and more!

Go with Futaba
Old 01-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Dyehard

Harry, this was also brought up on the RunRyder heli forum. It was also stated that the program was the same as used in the 1984 Royal. I brought the subject up on the Yahoo 9Z forum, and while some said that they had heard of the rumor being circulated before by some MPX reps, it was with no proof. Another member of the 9Z group said he had owned a 1984 Royal and it was a completely different radio with completely different programming from the 9Z. At this point I would say that it is an unsubstantiated rumer, nothing else. I have a lot of respect for MPX both as a rado system and as a company, and if the main group in Germany ( if I remember correctly that is where they are manufactured) were to issue such a a statement, with suitable proof, I would certainly listen, but at this point I consider it just to be a rumor meant to discredit one the worlds best radio systems, proven by innumberable wins in both pattern and helicopter.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:08 PM
HarryC

Originally posted by Casper07
Futaba makes the best and I have a 6xas, 8uafs, and the new 9cap which are all fairly easy to program and has every mixing there is and more!

Go with Futaba
That would explain why a friend of mine with the 9C is considering exchanging it for a Multiplex Royal Evo because the 9C can't handle something as simple as a true quad wing on his ultra stik. The 9C will do the basics but not provide crow, flaps and snap-flap. He has tried all possible solutions, consulted the Futaba FAQ on programming the ultra stik etc etc but the 9C runs out of mixers to do everything he wants. Futaba is fine if you stick to doing only what Futaba tell you that you can do.

Futabas are limited in what they can do, if you think they can do everything and more then you are not trying nearly hard enough.

Harry
Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 PM
ec121k

Casper obviously never opened up that 6xas and looked at the "quality" contruction. Mine looked like a Heathkit made by someone puffing on the wacky weed. Mine logged 16 flights before I opened it up, closed it and sold it.

I was interested in the Multiplex but will wait until the dust settles. In the mean time I settled for a JR 8103 because it does have the flexibility of "CROW" and I can even enter the name of the plane I'm flying. Also very easy and straight forward programing. Hard to beat the "Chief" promo pak even though it has the 7 channel receiver. (At least it isn't that antique 127DF that the F folks still sell.)
The digital servos were a nice addition and I've wanted to try some.

I just hope "MultiTec" quality and function doesn't get milked for the name like so many other fine companies in the past.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:51 PM
jtholley03

Default I have asked again

I have no reason to beleive I was given misinformation.

I have emailed MPX directly to get confirmation of the info I posted above.

After an exhuastive search and thoroughly reading and re-reading JR,F & MPX manuals I saw MPX as hands down better from a programability standpoint.

I will let everyone know what I hear from MPX directly.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:05 PM
spriggy

Default transmiter

i fly multiplex 7 years now moment profi 3030 and very pleased with the make