Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

my big JR problem

Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 AM
teamevan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my big JR problem

I POSTED THIS IN THE DIRECT SUPPORT THREAD. . .

to all JR fans and direct support (Danny). . .
i have just had my SECOND JR transmitter die on me. It is not reversed polarity, spilled gas, dust, rough use, dropping, or any mis-use or improper tear down. I have a double major in electronic engineering and aeronautical science from MTSU. . . i know electronics. After the system that i threaded about earlier would not even turn on (yes i checked the battery and it was charged) after it just sat on the counter with no interruptions awaiting replies, I unscrewed the back cover for the first time to take a look at the electrical and circuitry work. I gave the circuitry a B+ to A- and the wiring an A+. The actual work is not bad. This is where the problem occurred: the processor and the bottom circuit board! What?! I inspected the entire set up from solder to solder and wire to wire. there was not a single short or bare wire. After i traced the ENTIRE SYSTEM i have to blame it on FRED (that's what i call every specialized computer system. . . fred is always confused) This is not a cop-out on my knowledge of system interface this was/is the problem. I then opened the back of the first JR that went out on me (that is another 6102) and i found the same problem. While i believe JR makes excellent quality radio systems and great servos i will no longer use their transmitters. I guess i will take your advise, Danny whether to send it in or not, but either way i am truly disappointed in the TX's. JR gets a lot of stuff right, but unfortunately my experience with the TX (only) has given me 2 black eyes. I never sent the first one in just thinking it was a glitch and didn't care to pay for shipping and the time i would miss out on flying so i don't know what to do with the second one either.

Q) what brand of TX can i use with JR recievers and servos ect. . . ?

this is not ment to discourage anyone from JR, it is just an example of one guy's troubles. Why cant i win a one in a million draw one something like the lottery, right? Dumb luck i guess.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:16 AM
alan0899

Default RE: my big JR problem

G'day Mate,
After all that typeing, did you check the fuse?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:24 AM
ChuckA

Try an Evo. It doesn't have a fuse to blow. Also, since you have a double major in electronic engineering and aeronautical science, you might appreciate the logic behind Evo programming instead of the VCR programming logic used by JR.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:28 AM
teamevan

I did check the fuses, both where good and i tested to amp hold on them. . . excellent as well

Chuck,
you have a good point about Evo, i have heard simular statements, i never thought about the programing tho. . . too bad i couldnt get into Fred's head and try some messing around. But my wife is the programer, im just the dumb thumbs builder and CAD man. I will check out Evo. .. thanks

keep em comming guys!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 AM
teamevan

can you buy evo in the us? i can only find it advertised in euro dollars, common capitalism! give me something!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 AM
Mac_Man_UK

You fail to mention which Tx it is....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

"I then opened the back of the first JR that went out on me (that is another 6102) and i found the same problem. While i believe JR makes excellent quality radio systems and great servos"

Snipped from his post...

It appears to be a 2nd 6102.

Hibrass
Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
teamevan

whoops, its the 6102
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In furtherance of your formal education:
FRED is an acronym for Fuc-in Ridiculous Electronic -Device.
us poor old guys have been using it since the advent of brilliantly engineered crap , which wormed it's way into otherwise nice ,simple pieces of transportation.
To answer your question: JR transmitters will function with a variety of aftermarket recievers . However, there are no other name brand transmitters which will operate with the JR receivers.
The servos are a failrly standarized device and apart from slight mods to the connectors - they will operate with a variety of other transmitters/receivers.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Sorry, I should have gathered that from reading carefully !!

This is a long shot BUT check the lithium battery on the switch pcb. If thats okay, then try rebooting the CPU. Power the set up with the back off and look to the right of the CPU, there are 2 unvarnished contact points next to the cpu crystal. Short them out and hopefully the set will emit a beep. Turn the set over and the display should have an error message. Power off then power on and set should be back to life.

Let me know how you get on.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
teamevan

mac man,
i did what you suggested and it did work! I tried the same idea but to no avial. . . wow good thinking! Now i am back to my original problem of no screen. I have rechecked all of the connections from the board to board, and all of the connections for the screen. both north south are fine. . . any other great suggestions, man?

thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 AM
teamevan

hey mac man,
seriously, thanks for the help. . . i guess i should have gathered my thoughts and figured that one out myself. . . it would have been difficult seeing that it was around 11pm to 2am when started the post

i still cant figure out the screen problem tho'
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM
rctrax

Polk's Tracker III will operate any rx including JR. It is programable to any rx, plus or minus shift and selectalbe chanell mapping.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Still no screen display ?? Hmmm I'll have to have a look at the diagram when I get back to work on Tuesday
Old 12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Mac_Man_UK

From memory, the LCD is driven directly from the CPU, the voltages required to drive the LCD are also direct from the CPU. Though I could be wrong...... can't confirm till tuesday.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: teamevan

Q) what brand of TX can i use with JR recievers and servos ect. . . ?
Multiplex Royal EVO 9
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXEXV7&P=
They also sell the 12 channel.

In addition to EVO, the Hitec Optic 6 and Eclipse 7 are shift selectable so they can work with JR receivers.
Airtronics transmitters work with JR receivers.

So, you really do have muliple options and price points available.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:11 PM
teamevan

UPDATE:

Well i did some research all day on the phone and internet. . . I will now become controversial; I am a DX7 owner. I just streight bought one with extra recievers. JR servos fit so that saves me money on jumbo/high torque servos. Plus JR DOES MAKE GREAT STUFF!

I have already reconfigured my blade cp PRO (great little heli for the price) to the spectrum and love it. In the morning i will begin on the fleet. I am going to range check/ test drive the DX7 with the Blade cp pro first.

I am excited and thank everyone from the thread and the JR people for being very helpful. I will report back my findings on a new thread in a few days or so.

Best of luck to all and remember. . .

YOU BUY EM' TO FLY EM'.