Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

XP8103 Headscratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:29 PM
sparkknocker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP8103 Headscratch

Hello all...I am a Newb to the forum here but not to RC. Have a question for all of you about th JR XP8103. Basically I currently own a XP6102 and love it but there is a fella I know that wants to sell me his XP8103 for 150 bucks. I thought that was a screaming deal and told him I would be back up at the end of the week to pick it up. I did some research and I noticed that the 8103 sells for next to nothing on Ebay. I also knew that JR doesn't make them anymore and you can't buy them anywhere but ebay. I looked at the 6102's on ebay and they sell for more than the 8103??? Can someone tell me why this is? I thought that the 8103 was more complex and had better capabilities then the 6102. If you guys could enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: XP8103 Headscratch

6102 is a newer radio it is more easly packaged if you will i find tha the 8103 has an awkawrad shap with were the screap is other then that i mean if you need the extra channels it wouldnt be bad radio im a jr guy right now i have the jr 9303 and let me tell you its by the best radio i have used im not sure about the 8103 but i dont THINK it has switch assignment were the 6 does.. (could be wrong)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
masonman

Your right freak. You can't change the switches. On ebay you don't know how the radio has been taken care of, But the modeler who has the 8103 , if you now he takes care of his stuff maybe a better deal. I know a guy who has an 8103 for the same price, an he has taken care of it like it one of his kids. very good radio, just steped up to a 10x or a 9303
Old 01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
sparkknocker

Thanks gents for the quick replys. I will probably go with the 8103 considering it is like new and I have just a 421 and the 6102, good to have a couple of transmitters anyway.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The JR 8103 is a great radio with tons of useful functionality. You will like it. I still have mine as a backup ever since I bought the JR 9303, which is an awesome radio.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with RichardL. The 8103 is a great radio and, like him, I use mine for a backup for my newer 9303. I bought the 9303 primarily for the twin engine functions since I fly a lot of twins. For 99% of the fliers out there, it is my opinion that they would never use all the functions on the 8103.

You can assign switches to some extent on the 8103, you just don't have complete assignability or flight modes.

You next buy should probably by the JR synthisizer module. It fits the 8103, costs $99.99 (as I recall) and will allow you to set in any frequency. This way you can use all your old receivers with the new transmitter.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

I love mine and in fact still prefer it even though I bought a 9303. I flew one of the original 8103's for many years before getting the digital trim version a few years back and still use the 8103 for my pylon planes.

I also agree with comment about generally not buying used RC equipment off eB*y but since this is a local modeler you should have a feel for how he takes care of his equipment. How old is it and does it have the digital trims? The 8103's have a lithuim battery to backup the memory which needs to be replaced every 5-6 years, and I don't believe the average modeler can tackle this on their own...so age of the transmitter battery & the lithium battery should be taken into account if they are near an age to be replaced. Trying to recall but I believe I bought my original 8103 in 1995- so it is concievable this transmitter could be 8-10 years old & be due for batteries so you could be looking at over $200 by the time batteries are factored in. Is it transmitter only he is selling? If you wind up having to spend $200 or more for a transmitter you may as well spring for the new JR 7 channel system that allows you select any frequency you want! It is less than $350...

If you get it you will definately love the feel of it, just that it might not be that much of a bargain. Once you step up from the 6 channel radios to the 7-9 channel systems you wont go back.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
sparkknocker

Thanks Lotus...very helpful. He said he bought it about 4 years ago and it has digital trims which is the only way to have it. As far as the battery I have a Sanyo 2200mah 9.6v Tx battery with a white end which works for the 8103. As far as the lithium battery...no idea. It might last a few years or a few weeks. He said it has been used very very little and the thing looks brand new. Not a scratch or blemish on it. Always kept in a case. But I fear that the radio was never used meaning never charged very often. I am looking at the Spektrum DX7 too. JR at heart and runs on 2.4Ghz....sure to change transmitters forever.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Mac_Man_UK

From experience the Lithium in the 8103 (aka 3810) exceeds the quoted estimated lifespan of 5 years easily. The current drain on these are either very good or very bad. If its a bad one, then expect to replace it every 6 months or so..... that indicates either a leaky component or a faulty CPU. If it has lasted 4 years, then expect another 5 years of life. It WILL INDICATE to you that it needs servicing before it fails completely.