Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio

I am in the market for a new radio and am seriously looking at the Spectrum DX7. What I am wondering is are there any other radios from Futaba, Hitec etc coming out with spread spectrum technoligy in the near future (before April 07)?
The second question is will the Spectrum allow me to use my current Hitec and futaba servos along with their servos??
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Radio

Nobody knows for sure, but in order to "keep up with the Joneses" Futaba, Hitec and even JR will probably have something in the near future.

Maybe by Toledo time (Mid April)

I'm looking for plug-in modules and separate receivers myself so I can keep my faithful transmitters.

Yes you can use JR, Hitec and Futaba servos, but the Futaba servo plug needs to be modified or replaced.

Airtronics too, but only new style with wiring set up like everyone else.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, you can use your current servos. You will have to shave the guide off the futaba servos, but thats no big deal. I do that anyway. The servos shipped with DX7 are JR 821's, a good servo. As far as the other mfgs coming out with something before April, I wouldnt count on it. Just my opinion. I have a DX7 and love it. Just received 2 additional receivers, have 3 now. I have 20 ten minute flights that were perfect. I even got 10 ten minute flights on one charge. Two sequential days of 5 flights each with no charging in between. I highly recommend the DX7 setup. Some at our lhs have said you cant put it in a .40 sized plane. Thats wrong, I've done it. In my opinion (other than no shootdowns) the best thing about the DX7 is the model match feature. If you have the wrong model selected, the receiver wont respond. I have lost two planes because of a wrong model selected scenario. That in itself is enough for me. You will hear others chime in that there are problems. So far most have been hearsay. There HAVE been a few failures, but all the mfgs have a failure from time to time. So I'm charging ahead and updating the fleet. There are other threads that have tons of info on setup and how-to's.
Edwin
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
maineflyer

That sounds good Edwin, I was looking at my current radios and the servos I have and would like to be able to use those servos with a new set-up. The shootdown issue here in the far north is realy a non-issue as there is not that much interfearance. What I am looking for is an upgrade in features and the matching. I was just explaining this to my fiance and used the cd player vs 8 track analogy. I am wondering how the mixing and other features on the DX-7 match up to other radios in its price range. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again
Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Edwin

For that, my friend, you will need to check out the threads running in the radio forums. I'm a basic simple kind of regular guy. I dont do too much with special mixes and such. But the guys in that thread can answer any question you have, OR figure it out. I pretty much pulled out the old receiver and plugged in the new AR7000 receiver and was good to go. Same servos, wire harness, and batteries. I am in the process of modifying my old 2 wire wire harnesses. I buy a heavy duty 6" or 12" servo extension, cut off the wire harness receiver connector, and splice the power wires onto the extension cable. Then plug it back in. Just takes a few minutes if you're good at soldering. Make sure you use heat shrink to insulate everything. These will get me by until I can get more of the properly wired 3 wire harnesses.
Edwin
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly mostly aerobatic models - foamies to 42%
I just hooked up another rx in a new 50cc powered model
the elevators are sometimes a bear to get exactly right- On the Spectrum -it is very easy as there is no lead /lag .
My 10X has many setup features but I basically use rudder , engine, dual ailerons -dual elevators and a choke servo so 7 features does the trick on any size I fly. there are six mixing programs plus the special wing type programs.
if you just love to play with the TX -get a 10/ 12 or 14 channel setup
If you are simply after a locked in, tight link from finger to surface movement - this little inexpensive setup really puts the rest of em to shame.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
maineflyer

Dick,
Thanks for the imput, I am a simple kinda guy, I fly mostly 3D stuff and like the locked in feel, I was looking at some simple mixes and pricing at under 300.00 seems hard to beat.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM
onewasp

maineflyer

With your location it is not easy to run into much of anything else much less RFI.
A love sick Moose or two perhaps.

I spent a lot of time in Maine when I was a kid. Visited Presque Isle a number of times and spent summers in the Bangor and southeast area below Brewer ----- the place makes Caribou look like New York City and even if your a native of the state I doubt that you know where it is. East Orrington !!! Try to find that one without a good map and a magnifying glass.

Great memories of a far different time.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 AM
maineflyer

Onewasp
I know exactly where it is and was there last week to buy all of my RC gear. The only hobby shop within 250 miles is in Orrington, Kings Mountain RC. That is where I was looking at the (DX 7) radio and picked up a Saito 100 and a bunch of gear for a E flite 260 I am building. Beleive it or not he gets a lot of traffic out there. I took an extra 300 in to sell and he had it sold for me before I got back home that night. So, yes I do know where that black dot on the map is . You are right we don't see alot of frequency issues up here but I love the idea of not fighting for the frequency pins. My current radios are older Hitec eclipse and flash models so its time for a upgrade.
Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
onewasp

Jeff,

I switched from a 10X to the DX7 ----- you won't be disappointed.

It is the tightest radio I've ever flown ----- and that covers nearly half a century!

signed
legitimate "Down-easter"
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
maineflyer

Onewasp,
Thanks for the info, the opinion of a downeastah is good enough for me!!!
Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
onewasp

Ahhhh, your correction is well taken ahyuu!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone using the DX7 for full house sailplanes? If so, what is your experience?