Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to adjust servo?? Help- New Flyer

Old 01-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Ken Cz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust servo?? Help- New Flyer

Hello,
I am trying to ajust the servos on my new parkflyer using Hitec HS81 servos.
After 3 hours I am totally frustrated an just don't know what else tod do,

Can someone please give me the step/step procedure or direct me to an existing link.

Radio is DX7.
Servo travel adjust is set to 100%.
Servo trim is set to 0.

Problem seems to be that the servos rotate more in one direction than the other.
When I fire up the radio and servos neutralize position the travel from this center point is less in one direction than the other.
Repositioning the servo does not help since travel is the same.

My aiileron are spec'd out to move 15mm up and down.
I can get it (barely) in one direction but the other direction is only about 1/2 the amount required.
I have the longest servos arms installed, (13mm from screw center to outer control rod hole) and not sure what else to do.
The control horn has 4 holes and I am using the one at the very end away from the surface.
[sm=confused.gif]Would moving it to the opposite end help?

Also, the servos only seem to have a 45-60 deg. of travel and yet with the no power they rotate manually close to 160-170 degrees.
[sm=confused.gif]Is there a way to get more travel or at least the same amount in both direction?

Thanks for any help.
59 years old and still learning....

Ken
Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
alan0899

Default RE: How to adjust servo?? Help- New Flyer

G'day Ken
Ok lets start from scratch, what do you mean by servo trim at 0, I hope you mean "Subtrim".
If that is the case, turn radio on TX & RX, set trims to exact centre, leave sub trim at 0, & make sure your pushrods meet the servo arm at 90 Degrees, you may need to move the servo arms, on the spline, to achieve this, get it as close as you can, THEN adjust subtrim, until the 90 degrees is achieved. That way you will get even travel both ways, simple geometry.
Also your control horn holes for the pushrods to connect to, on the ailerons, elevators or rudder, must be over the hinge line, if not you will get differential, in you control surface, ie. more movement one way than the other.
You say you have the pushrod in the hole at the end of the horn on the control surface, this will give you the least travel, for max travel, outside hole on servo, inside hole on control surface.
Just stick to the outsde holes for now.
When all is set up try your surface throws & see how much you are getting, to increase this, set your travel adjust higher, from 100%, you run out at 150%.
This should help, Give me a yell via Email if no good.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Ken Cz

Alan,
Thanks for the help from Down Under!
Visited Australia and NZ about 2 years ago and loved it !

I will follow your instructions and hopefully get it resolved.
Appreciate the tips from the experienced flyers. There is just not a good book that explains these details.

Ken
Old 01-08-2007, 01:48 AM
alan0899

G'day Ken,
No worries mate, enjoy!