Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Modular Radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Delizar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular Radios

What makes and models of Radios have a Frequency "Module" that are user legal to swap.
I have read many of the threads regarding this subject and many reference that Transmitter Modules can be swapped while a simple crystal may not.

For instance I am interested in a JR8103. Is this a Modular TX? I have been to Horizon and cannot locate Channel Modules for it. Lots of RX Crystals but no TX Modules.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-01-2003, 02:17 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

Default Modular Radios

Get a Hitec and you won't have to "swap" anything. Just dial in the frequency you want & plug the module back in.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Delizar

Default I answered my own question.

I went to Chief Aircraft to check on their sale of the 8103 and thankfully they list the TX Modules. So question answered.

Mark
Old 02-01-2003, 02:53 AM
The PIPE

Default For 72 and 75, it's only WITHIN the manufacturer...

Dear Delizar and Avinut:

The PIPE Here, yet again...and for the 72 and 75 MHz frequencies, most ALL radios made these days-and for quite a while back in time, from what I understand-have ALL been made with separate RF board modules, that can be either unplugged and removed from the Tx from the outside, OR can be removed after lifting off the back of the Tx (or a separate panel that covers it...!)

The FCC Part 95 Rules, viewable at http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr95_00.html , do NOT allow the interchanging of the CRYSTALS in the RF boards in an RC transmitter on 72 and 75 MHz in the USA by anyone else but an appropriately FCC licensed radio technician (read "repairperson")...but there is NO such restriction about changing the ENTIRE RF board from one transmitter to another, provided the BRAND NAME of the RF board is the SAME as the transmitter it's going into...so, an Airtronics RF deck is just fine in its own Airtronics brand name transmitter, but place it in a JR unit, and THEN the FCC "gets in a lather" over it, as the Airtronics RF board was NEVER "type accepted" by the FCC to operate properly in the JR Tx, and might start spouting out all sorts of RF interference that could shoot down someone's RC aircraft!

If one checks MY left side "titling block" that accompanies ALL my posts here at RCU, though, you'll notice I'm a licensed Technician class AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE licensee-with the "KA1ABG" callsign! And, as concerns the mixing of BRAND NAMES between the RF board and the transmitter it's going into...well, if the RCer is a licensed Ham like myself, and if their transmitter is going to be flying an RC model ON THE NUMBERED 50 MHz AND COLOR CODED 53 MHz channels, which are Amateur Radio Service licensed frequencies, then the FCC does NOT much care what you do as far as mixing brands up between the RF board maker and who made the transmitter-just so long as you don't cause any unwanted interference to any other radio services, or to other Hams!

Just thought I'd clear it up a bit...but then again, perhaps there IS something I missed???

Hope this helped, at least a small bit!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!