Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio glitching problems

Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 AM
speleopower
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio glitching problems

I just finished my first hardcore electric plane last weekend. A Gary Wright E3D. I'm running the recommended Kyosho Endoplasma w/Great Planes C50 speed control and a 10cell 3000mAh pack. For radio I have a JR610 micro reciever, 2 Hitec HS81 mini servos on the tail feathers and two Expert Electronics mini servos on the ailerons.
Last weekend was the first flight Flew fine(ok range check). 2nd flight slight glitches, 3rd flight scary glitches, 4th flight almost lost it from glitches. After the 4th or 5th flight I changed brushes. Now I can only get a few feet from the model with the transmitter antenna down before it is crazy with glitches without the motor running. I tried my other R610 micro reciever similar problem. I then used a spare battery pack to power the system and leave the motor and speed control out of the loop. Similar glitching problems. Switched to the other R610 reciever w/spare RX battery pack. Same range problems.
Next I was frustrated and hooked up another spare regular JR R600 receiver. Better range check for a few minutes then all glitches start back.
Could this be servo related? I've tried pulling each servo out one at a time. Tried adding them back in one at a time. I've switched recievers around so many times my head is spinning. I even put in different servos etc etc. It keeps glitching!!!!!!!
I"m all glitched out!!!!!\
P.S. with my Helicopter I have no problems i.e. 150'+ range check with positive control
WHAT"S WRONG!!!! VERY FRUSTRATED IN FLORIDA
Scott
I must be doing something very obvious wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Pilotsmoe

Is it a battery problem? Did you check the battery?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:10 PM
speleopower

I did check the battery. I think it is the JR micro R610 receivers I was using. Both of my R610 receivers had glitching problems when hooked into the electric plane. I took a R600 receiver out of one of my sailplanes and hooked into the electric plane. I can get about 75' of range with the antenna collapsed.
I have been using one of the R610 recievers in a Senior Telemaster 96" wingspan plane with no problems or range check problems.
Has anyone had problems with the JR R610 recievers??
thanks for the replies.-Scott
Old 02-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Tippie

Could be the ESC too close to the receiver. Move it away from the receiver as far as possible or move the receiver away, which ever is the most convenient to move. Also could be getting electrical noise from the motor. Don't know for sure.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:15 AM
speleopower

Default Radio noise

I think I tracked the problem down to the JR R610 reciever/C50 speed control. The reciever is about 10" to 11" away from the speed control.
I posed a new topic as "R610 reciever problems/success" in the radio section.
Thanks for the reply-Scott
Old 02-02-2003, 03:23 AM
Tippie

So by moving the two further apart you have seen a difference? Usually it takes only a couple inchs. I know you have to consider balance, but I would think the further you can get the receiver back away from the esc and/or the motor the better off you will be when you are experiencing the noise. I guess the better answer is to try another brand of esc or check around and learn from others mistakes. You have just given others information from your experiences, that is what this forum is all about.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:18 AM
Tippie

Here's something else that may tickle your interest about the radio problem. I found this thread while I was doing a search on "schottky diode" applications (you may be interesed it that also). I had one supplied with one of the motors I purchased. Anyway it may tweak your knowledge of electrics in the future. The noisey ESC problem was addressed in the thread. Read the 9th posting by "Vintage1". If he doesn't know what he is talking about he has ME fooled. Goes into shielding the receiver and the location of the ESC. To my thinking I would shield the ESC since it is the one making the noise, but anyway take a look.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=89121
It's at www.ezonemag.com discussion forum. Lots of good info out there if you know where and how to find it. I just keep pecking away at it and learn a little more every day.