Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mixing and matching radios/servos etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mixing and matching radios/servos etc

I've used Futaba exclusively since I started flying four years ago, and am happy and satisfied with it (9C Tx). However, I just bought a DX-7 2.4GHz system to put in my next plane (1/5 scale YMF WACO), and have questions about mixing and matching. The Spektrum is all JR connectors, so I assume it is also opposite shift from the Futaba stuff I have. I can't use my charge leads, I know, because the polarity of the pins is reversed.

The system comes with four digital servos, and I had planned on using 3010 Futabas in the plane for the control surfaces. All I have read says the DX-7 is compatible with everything (Futaba, JR, etc), is this so? If so, I have to trim the little tab off the Futaba plug on the servo leads if I use the 3010's. I don't have a problem using the digitals that came with the radio, and probably ought to just use them, but I had planned for a standard 3001 Futaba servo for the throttle, not needing high torque for this.

My only real issue with the digitals is that I also planned to use NiMH batteries, was going to parallel two 1450 mAh Hydrimax 4.8V packs, but all the literature I read says no NiMH with digital servos. Why not? One of the guys in my club says he's used NiMH with digitals for years with no problems.

The other thing is an optically coupled electronic switch (Jomar Products) I was going to use to activate a smoke pump. This switch has a Futaba lead, can I cut it and put a JR type on it, and do I need to switch polarity on the leads if I do?

What are your recommendations, guys?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
BRETTMAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mixing and matching radios/servos etc

Hi, It's the amperage thats available with nimh packs,If you read up on it the 1950 mah pack will deliver more power than say the 1400 packs.IT'S NOT THE MAH,iTS THE CELL IT SELF THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.mY 1950 PACK SAYS ON IT'S FOR DIGITAL SERVO'S,MY 1400 PACK WHICH IS A DiffERENT CELL SIZE SAYS FOR hi torque servo's ,NOT DIGITAL.iM not up on the different cell's but that's why.

hope this help's, so buy a pack with the better cell size that can deliver more power on demand you'll be o.k. someone that knows more about the different cell sizes can chime in.
brettman