Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

SOLDERING BRAIDED CONTROLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLDERING BRAIDED CONTROLS

This might be in a wrong column but nevertheless, it still relates to servo hookup.

SOLDERING BRAIDED or is it referred to as a twisted wire?

I have a 25 watt soldering iron as well as an 80 watt iron (pencil style)

For some reason, I am having a serious amount of difficulty getting a good solder with either rosin or acid core solder.

Of course, I use a flux with a solid wire and I use a rosin core solder with the brass connector.

Q) Should I use a FLUX with the braided (twisted) ---(from GOLDEN ROD)

marwen1
Old 01-16-2007, 08:39 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: SOLDERING BRAIDED CONTROLS

For electrical work,, you should be using a relatively thin diameter rosiin core solder. I use a 25 watt pencil and it gets work hot enough to solder very easily. Depending upon what you're working on, make sure that your iron tip is clean and that the tip is making a good connection with the barrel. Also, if you're making servo connectors, I'd be careful soldering the twisted wire, because it can cause the wire joint to lose its ability to flex, and can break.
I'm not an expert, but have done a bit or soldering....
Sam
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should I use a FLUX with the braided (twisted) ---(from GOLDEN ROD)
I think you are talking about a control linkage and not an electrical contact, correct? Also I think you are trying to strengthen the braided cable in order to either cut it or solder a clevise. In any case you would want to use liberal amounts of flux and solder. When I do this I usually have a damp paper towel to wipe off the excess solder so the cable will still fit into the clevise or control horn.
When soldering, flux is your friend.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

I am NOT trying straighten out the braid, simply slide a threded casing over it in order to attach the clevis. "FLUX " -- that must be the answer. I guess for a short time, my brain went on ahead working without me. LOL

I have a feeling though that the 80 Watt is too hot and the 25 WATT is too low.

How can I control the 80 Watt unit?

marwen1
Old 01-16-2007, 07:09 PM
onewasp

Do you know the metal used in the wire?
Could be virtually anything ----until we know that everything else is well intended but not too definitive.
If stainless one answer, if aluminum no answer if plated brass another answer etc. Also what diameter is the wire?

What are you using to hold the "to be soldered" materials? If metal (like a vise) it is acting as a heat sink in addition to the other potential problems.

We need more facts to be of much help.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For braided cable like golden rod, you can use a propane torch properly "played" if your soldering iron is a bit weak. Flux is your friend. If you are going into a clevis, fill the clevis with flux, heat run a pool of solder into the hole. Tin the cable, flux on the cable end then heat and add solder, refill the clevis end with flux, insert the cable, heat while pressing the cable into place, add solder till it fills the joint. Don't add more solder till the cable seats out in the bottom of the clevis, you may have enough solder in the hole to begin with. Flux is your friend.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
80 watt would not be any hotter than a 25 watt, it just has more mass, so use the 80 watt, & hold it on just long enough to melt the solder, but use a good non acid FLUX,
3 golden rules when soldering, hot iron, clean job & I mean clean it with wet & dry sand paper & don't touch it after cleaning, fingers are dirty.
And use flux to keep it clean, rosin core solder is next to useless, when soldering, if you don't use flux as well.