Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Winter flying with the 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:32 PM
tkilwein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter flying with the 14MZ

Bax and Krysta, thanks for your support and info provided over time.

Futaba reps say the operating temp of 0C is the low end of working. This is the commercial temp rating for the components used inside the radios. This is true unless you go with military grade and then the cost goes way up. This is probably true for all brands of radios.

I have access to a calibrated temp chamber and at +5C the display does not respond well, it goes dark and the display paints itself very slowly. Hard to see the display items, and my fingers freeze quickly.

This is the one minor downside I see on the 14MZ, and no I will not give it back!

With this said, I have bought the RAYDIOWARM radio glove. I tested it and it works at 4F using a 149rx, warm fingers and radio.
TAKE ABOUT SWEET, WARM AND NO DISPLAY PROBLEMS.
The warmer needs ~0.5-1 more inch of clear material at the bottom end to see the entire 14MZ display in pointed down flying positions.
This is one class warmer for one class TX. Anyone that spends coins on the 14MZ and flys in cold weather, spend the ~$70 for this warmer.
Any radio and fingers would benifit with this product in cold weather. No more stiff fingers and you can see the display. Has removable cuffs if you want to remove them. Keeps the wind out also with the removable cuffs installed.
See the attached pictures on the warmer.

Checkout Horizon Hobbies for buying one in the states. 3-4 colors. $70.
search for NHP. Or www.raydiowarm.com overseas.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32753.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	602442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25689.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	602443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93380.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	602444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26678.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	602445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45270.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	602446  
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Winter flying with the 14MZ

Seriously Dude, you need to think about moving !!!

If I have to worry about how cold it can be for my radio to still work, I'm staying inside!!

It's like I can never figure out why golf stores sell rain gear. If it's raining, I ain't playing golf!!

But it is good to know that if I ever get stuck with the Donner Party and have my 14MZ with me that it will still work!! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
tkilwein

Default RE: Winter flying with the 14MZ

The snow has been on the ground for over a month now and cold.

Been flying off of floats on a couple planes.