Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

SPECKTRUM AND GAS

Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
gblas777
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPECKTRUM AND GAS

Iwas looking to go with the specktrum dx-7 for my large gas warbirds. just wanted to hear some real world experiances with this type of setup on large gas airplanes good or bad before i take the plunge

thanks
gene
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SPECKTRUM AND GAS

There is nothing peculiar about the warbirds -
However if your warbird engine causes some radio jitter n glitch - chances are it won't happen with the DX7.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:06 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dick Hansen: This is just a off the wall question. What if a person installed the DX7 in a gas powered airplane with no regards to caution on the long list of things you must do to prevent glitches. For example no spark plug shield...no resister spark plug...no special twisted servo leads...ect...ect. Has anyone experimented on seeing what special set-up for ignition can be done away with. Just Curious. Thanks Capt,n[:-]
Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for any engines such as conversions or mag stuff or really old stuff etc.. but none of the current engines I see need any of that - -I have even run NON resister plugs and it works but my engines have that full cap which contains the entire plug.
So I guess there are some very bad setups -I just have not seen any in years..
Old 01-27-2007, 02:20 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

There are three 40% comp-arfs and one QQ 102" yak at my field that I know of that are on spektrum that I've seen fly MANY times.

I'd say there isn't much to worry about, go for it.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My next radio is going to be a DX7. From what I read this new system will do good in most any enviroment. I wonder what servos are recomended with that radio for 25cc-50cc engines? Thanks Capt,n
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

There isn't any information in the manual about servos, and many of the guys running gassers are using their 'standard' gas-airplane, 30 or 40% servos with no problems. I have all 5955's on mine, three airplanes, DX 7 working just dandy. All four gassers not a hitch.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my DX-7 for 4-5 flights in an old Lanier Stinger with a G62 .. using a C+H ignition. Rock solid ..

The better flyers are saying that they can feel the effect of the faster update rate on the Spektrum system .. can't say that I do .. but maybe why they are the good flyers!

Dave
Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Had my DX-7 for 4-5 flights in an old Lanier Stinger with a G62 .. using a C+H ignition. Rock solid ..

The better flyers are saying that they can feel the effect of the faster update rate on the Spektrum system .. can't say that I do .. but maybe why they are the good flyers!

Dave
Do you know what the update rate is?

Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have two of these systems now in our club. One, on a giant stinger has worked well. The second has been a long series of problems. Excessive servo movement when the engine is running (a gasoline engine with electronic ignition). By moving all electronics well back from the engine, installing nylon throttle pushrod, moving kill switch forward of the firewall, the plane is now flyable. Definately the 2.4GHZ system does react poorly to layouts of components that do not guard against ignition noise. Hopefully this is a one of a kind problem, only time will tell.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Its amazing how the "immune to RF" bs is selling so well....there aint a thing made that is immune to some sort of noise, EMF, RF whatever.
Now it may be better at it but not immune, I hope people dont forget how to setup...should be amusing!!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

So far no problems, the Spektrum stuff does not give me gas. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Bob Pastorello

This is a very well-made point. It's important that we still "do" the right stuff to make our installations clean, both to RF and EMI, because it's the right thing, no? Good point.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I find it interesting that no one knows what the frame rate of the Spectrum is. If I had one that is the first thing I would want to know.
It would be a shame if they don't up the frame rate with all that bandwidth capability they have. With the servos we have now they could approach 500 hz or 10 times the current rate. At this rate a normal servo would perform like a digital provided it don't burn out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Bob Pastorello

On the Horizon site, there is some information about "packet" rate being 47hz.... have NO clue if/how that relates to "frame" rate, but I'd bet that's what it is. The "packet" certainly is a full RX word, including all channels, I would think?? Good question.

I do know from reading on a couple other places that the stick encoding to the RF is much faster than the 1024 rates, as the "Spektrumization" option (making a 6102 a DX 7) will NOT work, as it has been exhaustively evaluated by those that wanted to DX 7 -ize a JR 9303 or 10X. Couldn't make it happen because of the differences in how the RF deck on the DX 7 is DIFFERENT from the DX 6.

Way too technical for me, just reporting what I recall reading.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Aerobob, Im going to try it this afternoon and in no way am I detracting from the technology but youre right good setup should still be #1 and then enjoy the benefits of 2.4.
Im sure if your ignition or other noisy device is that way, its not performing as designed anyway and is liable to have some other failure in the near future.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
JRexA

I have tried the "Immunity" of a 2,4ghz link myself, and I am convinced!

Ok, not with planes, but with my FG Leopard Race.

A friend has another FG, with an ordinary Hitec Agressor FM set.
At some point We were driving at the road where We lives, and We see an old and badly maintained car comming our way.
When that car was around 100-150 yards away, my friends FM set went CRAZY, absolutely NO control, Jitter and more. Luckily He had time to catch the car and hit the Engine Kill, before the car ran away.

On the other hand with My car, I had full control, even with that RF Noise generator(Car) parked 2 yards away.
When the car was turned of, my friends servos stopped jittering.

And this is not something I have read somewhere, this is my personal experience.

I am running with a Nomadio Sensor 2.4ghz system.

I am also looking forward to the Nomadio Sports Flyer Radio, that according to rumour might be available this summer.(Some even say late spring)
The Nomadio Sensor btw. uses a 100hz frame rate, and can be set to use 50hz on the channels where you want to use Analog servos.