Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 Throttle cut feature?????

Old 02-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Throttle cut feature?????

OK boys & girls......Ol' Tcat has a problem with his new whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system. Where is the throttle cut feature like my trusted Futaba systems? My Futabas have a nice single push button throttle cut feature, but no where can I find it on my new DX7! Am I missing something & have been sniffing too many CA fumes? Oh I know that I can pull the electronic trim button down to kill it, but then I have to put it back where it was. A real pain in the hiney! I would think that a $350 dollar TX would have it std. & maybe it does.............BUT I CAN'T FIND IT! Will someone please help my poor pathetic soul..........Thanks......................Tcat1000

[email protected]
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Michael G
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DX7 Throttle cut feature?????

ORIGINAL: Tcat1000

OK boys & girls......Ol' Tcat has a problem with his new whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system. Where is the throttle cut feature like my trusted Futaba systems? My Futabas have a nice single push button throttle cut feature, but no where can I find it on my new DX7! Am I missing something & have been sniffing too many CA fumes? Oh I know that I can pull the electronic trim button down to kill it, but then I have to put it back where it was. A real pain in the hiney! I would think that a $350 dollar TX would have it std. & maybe it does.............BUT I CAN'T FIND IT! Will someone please help my poor pathetic soul..........Thanks......................Tcat1000

[email protected]
Tcat,
Your new $350 whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system does not have a "throttle cut feature" per say. It does have a "throttle recovery feature" where only one click will return you to your stored throttle trim. See page 37 in your manual. It also has 6 or so programmable mixings that would allow you to select almost any switch for throttle cut if you find the trim doesn't fit your liking. I find my engine stops about as fast as my old radios push-and-hold button did.
What you will find in your new whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system is no glitching and no shoot-downs, and no wrong model select, (unlike your "trusted" Futabas). After having two of my planes shot down at an uncontrolled field, I couldn't wait to buy mine.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: Michael G

ORIGINAL: Tcat1000

[email protected]
Tcat,
Your new $350 whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system does not have a "throttle cut feature" per say. It does have a "throttle recovery feature" where only one click will return you to your stored throttle trim. See page 37 in your manual. It also has 6 or so programmable mixings that would allow you to select almost any switch for throttle cut if you find the trim doesn't fit your liking. I find my engine stops about as fast as my old radios push-and-hold button did.
What you will find in your new whiz bang Spectrum DX7 sooper dooper radio system is no glitching and no shoot-downs, and no wrong model select, (unlike your "trusted" Futabas). After having two of my planes shot down at an uncontrolled field, I couldn't wait to buy mine.
The "Throttle Cut" on the DX 7 is done using a Mix, Thro > Thro, with a big offset. Assign to FLAP 2 switch (or FLAP 0, your preference). I have this setup on all three of my birds, works without fail. It's as close to a "cut" as I could get. Still relying on the throttle servo to be working, of course, so it's not an "ignition kill" function.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Tcat1000

Thanks guys.............I figured it could be done somehow! I will try the above to see which one works better for me. It's being installed in a H9 Twist 60.

One other thing I noticed is the supplied charger has a charge rate of 50 Mah for both the TX & RX for the supplied 1100 Mah RX nicad and the supplied 1500 Mah NIMH TX battery. HUH? Hmmmm............I guess it's time to get out my Triton 2...............Yes, I just bought a set of JR Hobbico charge leads so I don't fry the TX fuse when I try to plug in my Futaba TX lead! Why can't they standardize anything?

Thanks again guys...........Now I just have to wait for the four feet of snow to melt so I can go fly it!

Tcat
Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 PM
BillB

Yep. The charger sucks!!! Thank god for Sirus chargers. At least Specktrum had enough sense not to put a diode in the charging circuit.

On the other hand. I flew my Specktrum today for the first time. As a hard core Futaba 9C user I gotta admit, using the throttle trim to shut down the motor was not that bad. I had enabled the throttle recovery feature and it worked great! Yes. It is different from Futaba's throttle cut. But it works just fine. Get used to it. OTOH (on the other hand), no pinning my freq, no worrying about getting shot down, no external antenna on my airplane, better response time than my 9C Super. And no long antenna to stick into my prop! Ya Gotta Love It!
Oh yes, and the area over in the right side of the field where I always get a dead spot.....It's gone!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 AM
JuanPu

I have a Triton charger, a Robbe charger, a Futaba and a DX-7.

I have decided to use the Futaba lead reversed when used with the DX7, since at plugging time I always remember the difference. I think this is less prone to mistake than using a differente lead.

Anyway, both chargers detect reversed connection prior to applying any charge, so there is no risk at all in any case.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Tcat1000

Thanks for the comebacks. The new "Hobbico" JR charge leads that I purchased yesterday has a "JR" tag right next to the TX charge plug, so I don't think that I will make that mistake. (Ya right) Anyway, I am going to put a couple of additional printed tags on the TX line just in case. As far as using my Triton for charging, yup it will do the job, but only one battery at a time, so I will probably use my Futaba "CR 2000" peak charger. It charges both TX & RX at the same time & will charge the nicad RX & the NIMH TX on the DX7 together. (Link below) Yes, it is made for both Nicads & Nimh cells.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAA0&P=7

At least Tcat has never stuck his Futaba antenna into any of his props!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Michael,
Good tip on the throttle to throttle mix. I just wanted to add that it also can be used very effectivly for a throttle lock for E-powered models[8D], I have all my electrics set up this way on my 9C Super, for glow I have the throttle cut on the trainer switch, very easy to kill in an emergency and you don't have to remember to turn it off. Now for a 2.4GHz module for the 9C
Cheers,
Pete