Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z and CamPac

Old 02-14-2002, 08:49 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9Z and CamPac

I just picked up an UltraPack from model-gadgets. Although I've had my radio for 8 years, I have no experience with this device. My manual has 1/2 page on what a CamPac is but nothing on how to use it? Any of you guys have info on the little bugger?
Old 02-14-2002, 01:53 PM
KevinM

Hi bob_nj

I just recently purchased an UltraPac, and there's really not much to it.

Remove the Pac and take note of the highest memory location you can save to. Then replace the Pac and notice there's a whole lot more memory locations available. By saving to one of these higher locations, you're actually writing the model data to your UltraPac.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:03 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin is right

Normally you can put 10 models in a ZAP, when you have a memory chip in there a NXT menu option will come up, scroll over and you will see that you can now add much more than 10 models, those are going to the memory card. Works the exact same when changing models. You dont need to put your model into the radios main memory to use it, you can use it straight off the chip.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:23 PM
bob_nj

Default A Couple Of Questions

1. Do you just leave the card in the radio at all times?
2. If you remove the card, does the program stay intact?
3. Can you give me an example of how I would save/backup my Freedom let's say to the card? Do you use the copy function? Not
quite sure what the procedure is. Thanks_Bob
Old 02-14-2002, 04:15 PM
can773

Bob

You can only use models that are on the card if the card is in the radio. Think of it as a floppy disk for your computer. Once you copy it to the radios standard 10 model memory then you can remove the card.

You can use the copy model function to copy to and from the card, or you can just start a new model from scratch right on the card.

It is just like a disk, the data is always there until you erase it. Once you get it in the radio and play around with it you will get it. It is very simple once you see it work. I just got my CAMPac not too long ago and I love it. Also beleive it or not but you CAN copy between the old 9ZAP and the latest 9ZAWC2.

If you have any more questions keep asking I will try and answer them.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:53 PM
bob_nj

Default Thanks

It will probably be more obvious once I use it a little. I don't need more memories as much as good backups of existing programs.
I plan to send the radio in for a good going over next fall and want to keep all the programs as security. It sounds like you leave the card in all of the time. Does it draw any current?
Old 02-14-2002, 07:25 PM
can773

Hi Bob

Ya good idea to make a backup before you send in for service, they dont usually save programs for you unless specifically requested. This way it is no problem.

Yep I leave it in all the time, I havent noticed that it draws anything. It is really just a data storage device like a card for an MP3 player, so I cant see that it would need any power unless being accessed. I can make an inquiry to Futaba for you though.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:35 PM
can773

Ahhh I love my contact at Futaba. Here is the answer to the battery drain question.

Chad,

The CAMPac has no effect on the transmitter battery at all.

No drain, no pain.

Later,

Hope that helps
Old 02-14-2002, 07:50 PM
bob_nj

Default Thanks again

Give me a quick lo down on the dip switches and how you keep them set.
It must be nice when you can use the computer during the day at work you lucky stiff Almost forgot, I'm at work too
Old 02-15-2002, 05:25 AM
can773

Hi Bob

I have the CAMPac from Futaba, no dip switches on it. You will have to go to the Ultra pak's page to get info on the dip switch part of them.

Ya using the computer at work, its great . Best part is that I have to be on there a lot so I usually just leave RCU opened up all day and every time I am bored I start surfing .
Old 02-15-2002, 06:39 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 9Z Memory

Chad and Bob,
I have been reading the thread and thought I would chime in with a little bit of useful information. The 9Z uses a memory which requires battery backup, sort of like the battery that keeps the bios settings in computers. Usually the battery should be replaced every year or so. If the battery goes dead all your memory is erased. The campacs use a EEPROM type chip which the computer in our radios write too that does not need power to sustain it's memory (kind of like a floppy disk).

And how do I know all this information? I had my battery replaced and forgot to tell them to backup my model memories. OH Well a lesson learned.

Patrick.

Just in case anyone was wondering the 8U does not use a memory system that requires a battery. It uses a EEPROM chip for it's main memory and it's campac as well.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:38 PM
KevinM

Default UltraPac

Hi Bob,

I leave my switches set to: (1)on, (2)off, (3)off, (4)off. This will activate the first memory block. I suppose for the overly paranoid you could also back up your programmes in the second block and write-protect them, but I really don't see the need. The serial EEPROMs used in these devices are pretty robust.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:08 PM
bob_nj

Default Thanks Kev

I only have about 6 planes on my Tx anyway. How many set ups can you fit if they each have one condition? Take care_Bob
Old 02-16-2002, 03:52 PM
can773

Default Re: Thanks Kev

Originally posted by bob_nj
I only have about 6 planes on my Tx anyway. How many set ups can you fit if they each have one condition? Take care_Bob
Bob

On the Futaba CAMPac, you can have up to 8 conditions total before it starts to affect memory (those are conditions beyond the default one). I have up to 26 models (including the first 10) so 16 in total added space. Once you get beyond 8 conditions in the chip each additional condition removes 1 model, but I dont have that many conditions in there so I am not sure about that one yet.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:35 PM
KevinM

Default Memory allocation

Hi Bob,

Okay, here's how the memory looks on my ZAP. Without the module installed, I have 5 models saved (all with only 1 condition each) in the 10 available locations. When I pull up the condition screen it shows a total of 50 conditions with 5 used by the single condition on each model.

I currently have 3 of the above models backed up on my UltraPac, so when it is installed I have 8 locations of 26 used up. The condition screen now shows 72 total conditions, with 8 used by the single condition on each model.

What this says to me is that there is not enough memory to have 8 conditions on each of the available 26 models. I don't really see this as a problem though cause I have a hard enough time just remembering what any "special" features" I have previously set up whe I switch back to a model I haven't used in a while; Heaven help the individual who has 10 aircraft so complex that they all require 8 conditions apiece to fly! (And truth be told you should be able to spread that many out across the two block of the 128k UltraPac anyways...)

I suppose what this boils down to is the total number of conditions available is the best way to measure available memory.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:19 AM
bob_nj

Default Thanks again Kevin

I hope to get downstairs tonight or tomorrow and tinker a bit. The weather is supposed to get nasty tomorrow (sun).