Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

High Band Rx, Low band Tx..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:53 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Band Rx, Low band Tx..

Ok, I've got 2 High band Rxs that I can't use because I've got a low band Tx. Let's say I just popped the respective crystal in these high band Rxs, what would happen? I've heard it will still work, but there are some side effects. Loss of range? Erraticism?

Secondly,
What does Futaba actually do to retune a Rx. I know they can retune these for me for $20 a piece. So what do they actually do? I know a few electrical engineers who, with a schematic, could go to town!

These are my "knockaround" Rxs, can you tell? I got a great deal on them and $20 retuning would blow my margin. I'll probably end up selling them, but I wanted to see what the options were.

Thanks!
Reid
Old 02-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Ernie Misner

Yep, I think loss of range or other function could result. Somehow HiTec has gotten away from the need for high/low band.

Ernie
Old 02-09-2003, 01:27 AM
Lynx

It's pretty stupid what they do. It's only a few variable capacitors that need to be trimmed on an osciliscope for proper tuneing.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:46 AM
strato911

Originally posted by Ernie Misner
Yep, I think loss of range or other function could result. Somehow HiTec has gotten away from the need for high/low band.
From what I have read, Hitec gets around it by center tuning the Rx to the entire spectrum, while Futaba center tunes for upper and lower halves of the spectrum. How far into the low band is your Tx? If it close to the switchover between high and low band, you might get away with it. Just make sure you do a thorough range check with the engine off, and with engine running. The worst that can happen, is total loss of reception, possibly resulting in damage to someone's property, or person.

Now that you know the risks, the decision is up to you. Do you take what precautions you can, or are you willing to risk killing someone (it has happened) due to loss of control? :stupid: