Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

any plans for modules for other radios ??

multiplex ??
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha..that's like makin cup holders for Duesenbergs...how many do you think they would sell?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm thinking that if you buy the Futaba module you will have your professional 9z radio that is operating on 2.4 ghz. I have a 9 zwcii and I don't think you give up anything save 1 channel (for the moment).

For me its not a matter of open channels its a matter of another layer of glitch/shootdown protection. No doubt 2.4ghz systems are not with out its their own flaws but they seem to be less disasterous.

No doubt Futaba (and JR too) will jump into the frey (Futabe already has) to redeem their market share soon enough. Just MHO.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone clear up something here? what is the big deal with the spektrum radio gear? i don't get it. for starters, you have two sets of antenna's in the fuse, which means you need more room to begin with. I can understand if people originally bought a spektrum radio/Rx/servos, but to go from futaba or JR and get these module/Rx's doesn't make sense to me. what am I missing? why all of the sudden interest in wanting 2.4 gHz radios is beyond me. I'll never use that freq. unless I have to. When did PCM become obsolete?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:18 PM
BobH

I think you are missing a lot. The 2.4 Ghz radio is nearly immune from interference that we normally can and do experience. PCM has its benefits but you can still get glitches, crashes due to interference etc.

The next benefit is NO MORE SHOOT DOWNS. After spending 3 years building a Scale plane I enjoy the priviledge of crashing it myself... rather than having someone else do it via their radio.

So.. those two issues alone are worth the price of admission for many.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

About the antennas:

Sure there are 2 of them, but each is about 2" long.

They don't take up all that much room and they can be kept inside the fuselage.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:25 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

pcm became obsolete the day the very first pilot got turned on by another radio on his frequency and his plane got shot down by someone else.
that was a very very very long time ago..and thousands and thousands of dollars later. Only one who profited is the hobby stores selling more planes.
The 2.4ghz radio systems is the greatest thing that has come to this hobby in terms of $$'s to be saved, additional sales for hobby stores and surely
greater safety on the flying field with no more out of control, comin' straight at ya..lawn darts!

jump aboard!

bobz
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM
pappy35

I can live with hold (the default FS I bet) but what else do you loose when using PPM?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
tranker
My Feedback: (1)

It would be helpful to see a matrix of features lost or gained between traditional PPM, Hybrid (PPM/PCM radio with Spektrum Module), and a Spektrum Radio (DX<channel number here>)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
BobH

Features should be contained within the operating system of the Radio and not within the RF Module as I understand things. I'm not a radio guru but as I understand things the transmission frequency and what is being transmitted are two separate things. Maybe if you have a 12 or 14 mz Tx and only have a 8 or 9 channel RX then you will lose some channels.
Of cours I could be wrong.. I almost once was.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 PM
tranker

ORIGINAL: BobH

Features should be contained within the operating system of the Radio and not within the RF Module as I understand things. I'm not a radio guru but as I understand things the transmission frequency and what is being transmitted are two separate things. Maybe if you have a 12 or 14 mz Tx and only have a 8 or 9 channel RX then you will lose some channels.
Of cours I could be wrong.. I almost once was.
Exactly! So features such as linking the receivers to the model program, which the DX7 has, is probably missing in these "hybrid" solutions. I have a 9303, but a DX9 or higher sure would be nice.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
MMallory

From http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/FAQ.aspx

Will Model Match work with the Module System?
No. Model Match is a patented feature that prevents a model from being operated using the wrong model memory. Model Match can only be integrated into a dedicated Spektrum transmitter such as the Spektrum DX7. The programming necessary to make Model Match functional must be embedded into the transmitter´s programming.

I understand the AR9000 has two types of fail-safe?
The AR9000 features both Smart Safe and a conventional fail-safe. With Smart Safe, if there is a loss of signal the throttle servo will move to a preset position (idle) while holding the last position command of the other servos. The AR9000 also has conventional programmable fail-safe that drives all servos to their preset position if there is a signal loss. When the signal is regained, complete control is resumed within 4ms.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Yes, but can those fail-safe features be activated by the modules, or will those features only work with a spektrum TX? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
pappy35

Lots of conflicting info abounds...Horizon just told me the only thing lost is TX software-based fail-safe but the Rx F/S (throt. to idle) is still there. He said nothing else is lost. I thought I read in the release info that model-match is still there.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

ORIGINAL: Robbidos

Yes, but can those fail-safe features be activated by the modules, or will those features only work with a spektrum TX? Inquiring minds want to know.
Both of the failsafes are set up during binding and are maintained by the receiver. They'll work in the same way with either the modules or dedicated Spektrum transmitters.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Connery

So, now that they have the AR9000 receivers, hopefully that means they will be releasing a new DX9 radio sometime in the future as well. I will hold off upgrading from my Airtronics RD6000 to the DX7 now.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
pda4you

Too cool - fantastic technology.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

It is my understanding that the purpose built SS systems react faster than the PCM systems. This will not be the case with a system that uses the plug in module. You would need to go SS-PPM in order to get the same with the module system. That is if the TX is designed for it.
I think I am going to wait until this all sorts itself out before I buy anything.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
twmoody

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

can someone clear up something here? what is the big deal with the spektrum radio gear? i don't get it. for starters, you have two sets of antenna's in the fuse, which means you need more room to begin with. I can understand if people originally bought a spektrum radio/Rx/servos, but to go from futaba or JR and get these module/Rx's doesn't make sense to me. what am I missing? why all of the sudden interest in wanting 2.4 gHz radios is beyond me. I'll never use that freq. unless I have to. When did PCM become obsolete?
At the field I fly at I have had times when I had to share my channel with as many as 3 other flyers. At our indoor flying it was even worse. With the Spektrum I no longer have that problem.

I have been using a Spektrum for over a year now and can hardly wait for a module for my 9C Futaba.

Tom Moody
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

It is my understanding that the purpose built SS systems react faster than the PCM systems. This will not be the case with a system that uses the plug in module. You would need to go SS-PPM in order to get the same with the module system. That is if the TX is designed for it.
I think I am going to wait until this all sorts itself out before I buy anything.
Actually...

Dedicated SS systems are faster than PPM systems, which are faster than PPM->SS systems, which are faster than PCM systems.

I was going to pick up a DX6 and use that for my small electric stuff rather than my 9303 or 10X... guess I'll hold off for a while.
(Frequency conflicts are nonexistent in our club - we've only got seven regular pilots!)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
tranker

ORIGINAL: MMallory

From http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/FAQ.aspx

Will Model Match work with the Module System?
No. Model Match is a patented feature that prevents a model from being operated using the wrong model memory. Model Match can only be integrated into a dedicated Spektrum transmitter such as the Spektrum DX7. The programming necessary to make Model Match functional must be embedded into the transmitter´s programming.

I understand the AR9000 has two types of fail-safe?
The AR9000 features both Smart Safe and a conventional fail-safe. With Smart Safe, if there is a loss of signal the throttle servo will move to a preset position (idle) while holding the last position command of the other servos. The AR9000 also has conventional programmable fail-safe that drives all servos to their preset position if there is a signal loss. When the signal is regained, complete control is resumed within 4ms.
Thank you for the link to the FAQ. It answers all my questions. I think I will be waiting for the DX9 or higher. The modules are cool, but I would rather use that money towards a full-featured DX system.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
dsnyder

I'm not sure if I'll get all the questions here, so if I miss one ask again if you would.

First, in regards to fail safe. You must set the TX in PPM mode, so fail safe in the TX will not be available, however Spektrum receivers store the fail safe positions during binding. So they have fail safe, but it works differently than your current system. For the AR7000 Receiver (and most other Spektrum receivers) (which is what comes with the DX7) it is set so that the throttle channel fail safe position is stored during the binding process and all other channels are set to hold last position in the event of signal loss. This we call Smart Safe.

The new AR9000 Receiver has 2 modes available. It has the Smart Safe as one option, which to set this you bind the Receiver normally (leaving the bind plug in the Receiver until it completes the binding process). It also has a 'conventional' mode where all channels will be set to fail safe and the positions are stored during binding. To get into this mode, after you power up the Receiver with the bind plug installed, the light begins to flash. Before you turn on the Tx in bind mode, you remove the bind plug from the Receiver and then power up the Tx in bind mode. In both cases you will need to hold the channels in the fail safe positions desired through the whole binding procedure. In Smart Safe mode, only the throttle channel will be set to fail safe, in conventional mode all channels will be set to fail safe. And that applies only to the AR9000 receiver.

The module systems are DSM2 technology, they are not compatible with DSM1 receivers, so the AR6000/BR6000 for the DX6 will not work with the module systems.

The module systems do not have the model match function, that is a function in the programming of the DX7 TX and is not possible with the module systems, since the TX's do not have this function.

In regards to the Futaba being 8 channel, that is correct. Futaba systems only output 8 PPM channels, and with the Spektrum system you must set the TX to PPM. Therefore only 8 channels are available at this time.

In regards to speed, the Spektrum modules speed is the same or faster than existing PCM systems, but it is slower than Spektrum systems built from the ground up such as the DX7 and any future systems that may be developed.

I hope that answers most of the questions.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Danny,

If I send 9 PPM channels to the Futaba module, will the AR9000 receiver decode all 9 channels?

Dan Thompson
Old 02-22-2007, 03:59 PM
dsnyder

No, the module is decoding the info from the TX and only decodes 8 channels. Futaba systems do not do that, they don't have more than 8 channels in PPM mode at this time.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
RTK

Dan, doesn't the 12/14 have a software upgrade to run more than 8 in ppm now??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.