Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

I cann't use Ch 20 in my area, how I can changed to Ch 19?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I cann't use Ch 20 in my area, how I can changed to Ch 19?

Old 02-10-2003, 10:29 PM
johnsmith27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cann't use Ch 20 in my area, how I can changed to Ch 19?

Hi everybody:
In the area where I live, Ch 20 (which is mine) is not allowed because it interfeares with TV channel 4. I received the advise to change to Ch 19.
Does somebody know if by just changing the cristals is possible this change, without further adjustment of the transmiter/receiver themselves? If that is the case, does somebody know where I can purchase them? (is easy to exchage them?).
I'll be thankful for any help.
JS
Old 02-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the local interference problem. In order to stay legal in the US you will have to have the transmitter frequency changed by an authorized service facility . The receiver crystal swap can be done by anyone.
If the radio is brand new you may be able to sweet talk the dealer to trade on another radio on a better channel.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You need to change the transmitter and receiver crystals.
Go to your LHS and they will help you.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:36 PM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not really a interference problem.If you are operating on channel 20 and there is a TV channel 4 in your area , then the combination of your signal and the TV signal could generate 455kc which is the if freq of wide band receivers that one of your buddies might be using.I think it only concerns wide band receivers so I would investigate further before spending money changing freq.Maybe the AMA could shed some light on this.We have channel 4 in our area and have had restrictions on channel 20 and 21 but have removed them since only some Ham guys are still using wide band receivers.Check it out
Old 02-11-2003, 03:19 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Somthin fishy

Ch 20 R/C Transmitters are FCC certified by the manufacturer NOT to interfere with adjacent TV channels. I see no reason why you cannot use the Ch 20 Tx. I'd fight the club restriction against using Ch 20.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Interesting.
We have this problem with clubs in the Indianapolis, Indiana area because of channel 4. It just might be a carry over from 15 years ago.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not so much that you can't fly on channel 20 it's that when someone is flying on channel 20 it interferes with other channels or frequencies of other people flying.

Like Geistware said some sites in Indy ban channel 20 just to protect the other flyers. We've let people fly on channel 20 before when no one else was flying but only at special events when the pilot was unaware of the rule but most of the people know channel 20 is only asking for trouble in our area.

No one wants to see a plane go down and this is why there is a ban whether it's an old rule or not, whether it has problems or not, it's only 1 channel.