Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo centering from JR 10X to DX7

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default servo centering from JR 10X to DX7

I need some advise from peoply that are flying the Spektrum DX7 radio systems. I have recently purchased a Spektrum DX7 radio system. I will be installing it in my QQ 102" Yak 54. The Yak currently is set up with a JR 10X Tx and 10ch PCM Rx. When I enter the servo endpoints and subtrim centers into the DX7 radio, will the servos come close to the required centers and throws? I am mainly concerned with the throttle servo, as I don't want to remove the cowl to check.

Thanks,

SWK550
Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Pile-O-Wood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: servo centering from JR 10X to DX7

Don't take a chance, with the money you have invested take the time and check it out and make sure every thing works. To answer your question, they should be close.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My models when switched over were the same 10x-DX7 but making sure you got servo direction and throw right is sure worth a visual inspection.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
swk550

Thanks for the comments. I will double check servo directions and such. I'll go ahead and remove the cowl and verify the throttle closes off at end of trim.

SWK550
Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Steve - I had to reset ALL FOUR of my gas engines changing from the 10X to the Spektrum; I believe it is due primarily to no "trim authority" function in the Spektrum, and digital trim on it, too. The overall travels weren't a LOT different, but different enough that I would absolutely, positively recommend resetting them, recalibrating, whatever on the DX7 to get it right.

You need to do that anyway, IMO, to ensure that the "throttle Auto Safe" works when you bind and rebind the RX.
Remember to rebind the RX after ANY change to throttle TX settings.
In my experience, so far, these are essential steps.

ORIGINAL: swk550

I need some advise from peoply that are flying the Spektrum DX7 radio systems. I have recently purchased a Spektrum DX7 radio system. I will be installing it in my QQ 102" Yak 54. The Yak currently is set up with a JR 10X Tx and 10ch PCM Rx. When I enter the servo endpoints and subtrim centers into the DX7 radio, will the servos come close to the required centers and throws? I am mainly concerned with the throttle servo, as I don't want to remove the cowl to check.

Thanks,

SWK550
Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
swk550

Bob,

Thanks. This is the specific information I needed. I'll plan on doing a complete set-up check including measuring my control throws before and after the conversion. The plane flies great and I need to duplicate the feel as well as I can. Thanks for the tip on the "throttle auto safe" servo binding.

Steve
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Bob Pastorello

You're welcome! It's a great radio, we just have to learn it's quirks.
Setup info is on my webpage, also, FYI.

Bob,

Thanks. This is the specific information I needed. I'll plan on doing a complete set-up check including measuring my control throws before and after the conversion. The plane flies great and I need to duplicate the feel as well as I can. Thanks for the tip on the "throttle auto safe" servo binding.

Steve
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
rmh

You will likely have to increase the expo settings --somewhat - I hadto go up to 70% fro 60% and it is still a bit brighter at low stick positions.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
swk550

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. Last night I partially installed the DX7 in my QQ 102" Yak. The original 10X endpoints for the throttle were Low 140% and High 130% with no subtrim. After installing the DX7 AR7000 Rx, the throttle end points ended up at Low 90% and High at 120%. That is a fair amount of change. Tonight, I'll start converting over the control surfaces.

I have mixed feelings about binding the throttle at low cut-off throttle. I've never had a glitch on the 10X. I have the low throttle set at low idle. This way if I get a hit, I could recover and fly home. Last weekend, a club member installed his Futaba 14MZ and RX in a new Genesis. He had an installation problem and was going into hold periodically. Fortunately his fail safe was set at low idle and the engine did not kill. He did recover and landed the plane. By the way, the problem was the RX location relative to some CF internal bracing. By slightly relocating the Rx, the problem went away.

I would appreciate feedback on the DX users on fail safe throttle points.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Bob Pastorello

Steve, I set my throttles on all planes to "normal idle" for the Throttle Smart Safe setting. Won't die and will be at "sitting still" idle. But it's a moot point, in practice, because if your throttle goes into it's failsafe setting, then your other controls are locked at "last stick position" inputs. So let's say you're in a 45* down, snap and a half.... goes to throttle fail safe in the snap....BYE BYE Birdie.
Sad, but true.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. Last night I partially installed the DX7 in my QQ 102" Yak. The original 10X endpoints for the throttle were Low 140% and High 130% with no subtrim. After installing the DX7 AR7000 Rx, the throttle end points ended up at Low 90% and High at 120%. That is a fair amount of change. Tonight, I'll start converting over the control surfaces.

I have mixed feelings about binding the throttle at low cut-off throttle. I've never had a glitch on the 10X. I have the low throttle set at low idle. This way if I get a hit, I could recover and fly home. Last weekend, a club member installed his Futaba 14MZ and RX in a new Genesis. He had an installation problem and was going into hold periodically. Fortunately his fail safe was set at low idle and the engine did not kill. He did recover and landed the plane. By the way, the problem was the RX location relative to some CF internal bracing. By slightly relocating the Rx, the problem went away.

I would appreciate feedback on the DX users on fail safe throttle points.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
swk550

Bob,

I installed the rest of the system. Sub trims were around half of what I had dialed in the 10X radio. Servo travel (control surface deflections) were spot on with same end point adjustments. Tomorrow I'll test fly the system. I will set up the "normal idle"

I am using mix 5 rudder to aileron and mix 6 rudder to elevator. How do I assign the Aux 2 switch to position 0 for the mix? I have dual aileron servos (ail and aux1 channel) and dual elevator servos (ele and aux 2 channel). I can only get it to always mix with rudder. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
rmh

Stop!
go back to first screen and set flap to INH and flap trim to INH
also aux 2 to INH trim INHB .this is NOT clearly explained in the manual
but I noted it in first part of this thread as did others inc Mike Mc Conville.
this is a must.
Bob copied mikes writeup on his web page (Ithink) follow that if you don't see other explanations first,
Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Bob Pastorello

Using the mixes you describe, Steve, you will not have "master" elev trim going into Aux2. ONLY Mixes 5 and 6 have "master" trim "INCLUDE" function. I use mix 3 or 4 for the RUDD > ELEV and RUDD > AIL , works fine and effects both channels correctly.
Dick is right, AUX 2 must be INHIBITED.

Here is my page - http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm
Go to the "Assigning Mix Switches" article. What I have found is accurate.

I have found that only one mix may use one position of the "FLAP" selector switch.... when setting up mixes, it only lets you choose a switch position that is still available. So if you use Flap Swith Pos 1 for rudd>elev, you will HAVE to choose Flap Pos 2 for rudd>ail, and when you move the selector, the mix in Pos. 1 will go off. Definitely not a very friendly switch assignment transmitter.

Of course, you could set one up on "MIX" (Rudder D/R) switch, but only if you're NOT using Rudder Dual rate.

Bob,

I installed the rest of the system. Sub trims were around half of what I had dialed in the 10X radio. Servo travel (control surface deflections) were spot on with same end point adjustments. Tomorrow I'll test fly the system. I will set up the "normal idle"

I am using mix 5 rudder to aileron and mix 6 rudder to elevator. How do I assign the Aux 2 switch to position 0 for the mix? I have dual aileron servos (ail and aux1 channel) and dual elevator servos (ele and aux 2 channel). I can only get it to always mix with rudder. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
swk550

Bob,

I got it slightly mixed up. I followed the instruction and have the left aileron in Aux1 and the left elevator in Aux 2. I did set Set Aux2 to INH, AUX2 TRIM to INH, FLAP to INH, FLAP TRIM to INH. Wing Type: flapperon is on. Mix6: Elev->Aux2; rate +100%, +100%,

Mix1: Rudd->Aile; rate: +1%, -5%; SW: Flap2, offset: 0;
Mix2: Rudd->Elev; rate: -8%, +6%; SW: Flap2, offset: 0;

I still can't get the rudder mix to be assigned to the Flap switch. I can get it to leave the mix on all of the time by changing to SWn

At this point, I am willing to assign all of my Aileron, Elev and Rudder dual rates to the Aileron D/R switch. If I do that can I then assign the Mix1 and Mix 2 to the Rudder mix switch? I need to be able to switch in and out Mix1 and Mix2 (both on a single switch)

I must be missing something.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Bob Pastorello

I don't think you're missing anything - I just published a page update (link in my post above) discussing this switch "feature"-. You have it right, and your solution to all mixes "on", unfortunately can only be done on FLAP Position 0 or 2, as the AUX 2 switch can't be used, and your "MIX" switch is probably your Rudder Dual/Rate.

You CAN put more than one thing on one switch or position, just have to remember "Center OFF" for the Flap switch!!!

I think you have it all okay.... looks like my setups, anyway....

Bob,

I got it slightly mixed up. I followed the instruction and have the left aileron in Aux1 and the left elevator in Aux 2. I did set Set Aux2 to INH, AUX2 TRIM to INH, FLAP to INH, FLAP TRIM to INH. Wing Type: flapperon is on. Mix6: Elev->Aux2; rate +100%, +100%,

Mix1: Rudd->Aile; rate: +1%, -5%; SW: Flap2, offset: 0;
Mix2: Rudd->Elev; rate: -8%, +6%; SW: Flap2, offset: 0;

I still can't get the rudder mix to be assigned to the Flap switch. I can get it to leave the mix on all of the time by changing to SWn

At this point, I am willing to assign all of my Aileron, Elev and Rudder dual rates to the Aileron D/R switch. If I do that can I then assign the Mix1 and Mix 2 to the Rudder mix switch? I need to be able to switch in and out Mix1 and Mix2 (both on a single switch)

I must be missing something.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
swk550

Bob,

I test flew the system yesterday. You can notice the faster response of the system. Also with the same expo I had better (smoother) sensitivity at neutral. I ended up putting the Mix1 and Mix2 on Flap0 switch assignment. I was able to turn off both mixes at Flap1 switch set and turn on at Flap0 switch. After four flights, the radio system has been glitch free. Today I'll rebind as a made a few throttle end point adjustments. Now all I have to do is make a neck strap clip "thingy" to transfer the CG to be more neutral balance. Thanks for all the help.

Steve
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Bob Pastorello

Steve, sounds great. Just wanted to clarify - you stated that you *DO* have two mixes assigned to the same position on the FLAP switch? If yes, I need to go find out what is amiss in my setups, and tweak my info accordingly.
[EDIT - corrected earlier post, and info on my website, relative to the "center OFF" on the FLAP Switch]

Thanks for correcting me!

I'm happy it all is working, and I also am working on a "thingy" (although I think I will call it the "Spektrum/Horizon Balance Device" -) and have to do that. The sensitivity at neutral is reported by many; glad to read you confirm that.

This is on a QQ 102" with what engine?? (Just out of curiousity)

Bob,

I test flew the system yesterday. You can notice the faster response of the system. Also with the same expo I had better (smoother) sensitivity at neutral. I ended up putting the Mix1 and Mix2 on Flap0 switch assignment. I was able to turn off both mixes at Flap1 switch set and turn on at Flap0 switch. After four flights, the radio system has been glitch free. Today I'll rebind as a made a few throttle end point adjustments. Now all I have to do is make a neck strap clip "thingy" to transfer the CG to be more neutral balance. Thanks for all the help.

Steve
Old 03-04-2007, 08:28 AM
swk550

Bob,

The QQ 102" Yak 54 has a DA-100 with MTW 75 cans.

Here are my mix set-ups:

Mix1: Rudd->Aile; rate: +1%, -5%; SW: Flap0, offset: 0;
Mix2: Rudd->Elev; rate: -8%, +6%; SW: Flap0, offset: 0;

Mix6: Elev->Aux2; rate: +100%, +100%; SW:ON, offset: 0

It worked.

Steve