Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Fix It
16.67%
Buy a Tower 6XM ($150) comp. radio
16.67%
Buy a Futaba/Hitec/JR 6 ch ($250 - $300)
33.33%
Pony up and get an EVO 9 ($350.00)
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

To fix or to buy?? (and what to buy)

Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To fix or to buy?? (and what to buy)

Howdy gents:
My trusty (not so anymore) Airtronics RD6000 Sport has ceased to function. I have tried my crystal on a fiends RD6000 as well as his crystal on mine (before you call me crazy I am NOT in the US); the crystal and my receivers are good but my radio doesn't transmit a thing.. zero, zilch, nothing. Shall I send it for repair ($25 postage + minimum $50 to see what's wrong and $$$ more to fix) or buy a new one. I recently acquired (and like a lot) an Evo 9 as my primary radio, the radio in question is for use by my kids (16 and 15). What do you advise??
My receivers (4 o 5) are Hitec Ch 18
Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To fix or to buy?? (and what to buy)

How about another RD6000 sport. Tower hobbies 169.95 plus shipping.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look for a used on on rcu or ebay if shipping charges aren't outrageous.does it power up?could be a fuse or bad switch or something major.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

thanks for the responses, since I am not in the US I am a little reserved to buy used ....
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The same thing happened to my brothers JR radio, It turned out there is a 3amp fuse (I think 3amp) someplace in the radio and with it burned out it wont even power up in the case of JR in JR it's behind the channel module, I don't know where it is in Airtronics but I'm sure there is one someplace. It is supposed to be a failsafe for power surges when charging and fast charging has blown a few at the field for some of the other guys, If I need a charge on my TX I take out the battery because it's a pain to reach the fuse if it blows. Do a search on the radio or in the manual if you still have it, It may tell you the location before you spend all kinds of money on another radio. Hopefully it's is the fuse and it will be a few dollar fix for you.

Dauntae
Old 03-09-2007, 08:21 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Thanks Dauntae, I don't think is the fuse but will checkk for it. The radio does power up and the week before it went dead it stoppes working, after a week it worked again so I think is either a capacitor somewhere or other damage to the RF deck since the other functions (at least looking at the menus) appear normal.

Regards,
Patricio
Old 03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

HONDURAS - uno de mis favoritos paises!
Soy ex-radio tech de Airtronics, tengo equipo y experencia y puedo reparar tu RD6000. - te cuesta solo un Pollo Campero en mi proximo viaje a HON. O si - te cuesta el correo de CA a HON.
Puedes preguntar a los amigos en Teguc quien soy:
Eloy Marez, 2626 W. Northwood., Santa Ana CA 92704. (714)540-4935
Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I think you want an EVO 9 and just need a little push in that direction. Get it. It will hurt when you write out that check, but the feeling of opening up the box to a new radio... ahhh.
New is the way to go it will provide you with years of secure operation, and getting a EVO while your sons have one just makes sense. It will help later with programming, trainer cords, receivers, etc...
I think a used radio should be for someone who wants to try out the hobby, it sounds like you are already hooked, since your facination has out lived the RD6000.
Talk to the wife, and explain that you deserve the radio and the enjoy it with you two sons, guilt free.
Happy flying!!

DM
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Thanks for the help, Eloy, I will contact you