Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to test servos for damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 03:19 PM
JohnRC-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test servos for damage?

I inherited some S148 servos from my friend who gave up flying. His duraplane did stuff like full power nosedives into the ground, cartwheels, and the like. We just kept duct taping the splintered fuselage together but he never really learned lol.

I'm going to be using the servos in a new project of mine, but am concerned about damage. I put pressure on the control horns and they seem to be functioning good. But compared to a new S3003 servo they sound raspy.

Whats the procedure for checkin em out?

Thanks!

PS - Just charged up his TX and it works good, except that when you jiggle the power switch just right, the power will blip off. This kind of scares me. Would shooting some TV-Tuner cleaner in the switch work?
Old 02-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off replace the switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smartest 10.00 you will spend..

Test the servos on the bench in the airplane and remove the cover and check the gears they might be missing some teeth.

Make sure the center and move without binding.
You could also send them in for repairs but it may be cheaper to replace them

If you are the slightest bit unsure replace them much cheaper then replacing the plane.. I have several servos that I consider questionable (due to age and misuse) I usually use them on throtle or bomb drops.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:17 PM
FD av8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I would throw out anything that seems questionable.'

I would always be wondering when that servo is going to die and even if it was on the throttle how excited would you be to have it stall at half throttle one minute into a flight!!