Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C super VS futaba 9Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C super VS futaba 9Z

hey guys.....i know the older 9Z is still a very popular radio and the newer 9C super series radio's are supposed to be a great 9 channel radiop as well. But i'm confused about something here..........if futaba discontinued the 9Z series for the 9C super's.......why? the 9Z looks to be way more of a sophisticated radio compared to the 9Z. I would love to here some comments on this. And also.......doesn't the 9C series radio's use the exact same moduel as the older 9Z's ? I know spectrum is coming out with a set of moduels for the 9C's soon , and from what i gather , it will work in the 9Z as well right? I think i'm missing something here......but it seems futabe took a step backward.......or maybe i'm confused.

jeff
Old 04-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Futaba 9C super VS futaba 9Z

9z is a much more sophisticated radio. It was replaced by the 12z and 14mz. The 9c (Super) is a value 9ch computer radio. Does a lot, but doesn't have conditions. Here is a chart to compare features of all Futaba radios. http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Also, modules for the 9Z can be used in the 9C but you aren't supposed to use a 9C module in a 9Z.
Notice the warnings:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXH258**&P=7
Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The 9z is about 10x more complicated than most of us will ever need, the 9CSuper is quite a radio, as someone said the 9z was really replaced by the 14 and 12
Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

JEFFRO503,
You can program the 9C without a manual, where as the 9Z has a steep learning curve. Ease of use and reasonable cost accounts for the popularity of the 9C.

Dave
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM
pilotpete2

Just my 2 cents, but I think Futaba was quite on target with the 9Cs, much cheaper than a JR 9303, with only a little less capability, such as only 8 channels in PPM, not exactly a "deal breaker" for those that want to skip over the 7 ch. rigs when they move up from a 6 channel radio and will likely never exceed the capabilities of the 9Cs. Also with 2.4GHz modules on the horizon (pun intended) the 9Cs being a module based unit keeps the upgrade path open.
Pete
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 AM
JEFFRO503

aaaha!! So i what i thought was correct in the 9Z having alot more functions. You would have thought , since they already had it made ( being the 9Z) , that they would of kept making it , but maybe downgraded some of the feature's to keep it a little competitive in the 9 channel market. I was thinking of picking one of the used 9Z's up and getting one of the newer spektrum moduels plugged into it. I'll read up on that tower hobbies page though and see what i might be getting myself into. The guys over on the FG site from spektrum say's that they will be compatible.......hope so , because i don't want to fork over $1300.00 for a 12Z.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Since I'm flying a 9Z with a 9C Super as a backup, I'll chime in with my thoughts about the Spektrum stuff...

The first thing is that you don't get the speed of the true Spektrum radio, all you're getting is the move to the 2.4 GHz radio frequency range. This is because the module uses the regular processing inside the radio to transmit control inputs, then the module converts that output to the higher band. Since the Spektrum module can't accomodate the PCM functions as they are proprietary to Futaba, you have to run the tx in PPM mode and only have access to 8 channels. Then there is the antenna question since the modules are designed for the 9C which has a fixed antenna and can easily be changed by the user, the swivel capable 9Z antenna is a different story and changing it is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. Besides the fact that you've got that coax connection coming out of the back of the module to the replacement antenna, how vulnerable is that going to be with regard to snagging the coax if/when you set the tx down?

The next thing is, since you're still using the tx's internal functions the channels are transmitted sequentially at the same speed as the original setup, but you've got a conversion to the new frequency added in, that takes time. Will that time be enough that you'll feel it? I don't know.

The Spektrum is capable of sending the tx outputs all at once rather than sequentially, that's why it is a noticeably faster control response and those guys who've switched will tell you as they have me, it is a noticeable difference. The reason it can do this is because of bandwidth capability, it's sort of like the difference between a dialup Internet connection and DSL or cable.

The module plus the rx is also $100.00 more than the Spektrum tx/rx package, there are a LOT of rumors going around that Futaba's got a newer 2.4 system close to introduction and while they are rumors and I'm quite happy with my 9Z, I would not care to buy modules with less performance, only to have Futaba release a new 9 channel or so 2.4 GHz radio two months after I dropped a chunk of change on my new "module setup". That is what happened when I got my 9Z, two months later they announced the release of the 12.

I'm gona sit on the sidelines for a bit more...[]
Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 PM
JEFFRO503

Actually zeeb.....i'm with you on the waiting game. Switching over to the 9Z was just an idea. I know the new "fasst" futaba system for the higher channel radio's are right around the corner. My problem is that , i need and want something in a spektrum type freq , but wanted something in a 9 channel or more. I know with the conversion , you only get 8 channels working......is that extra channel compared to the DX-7 worth the hassel and the extra $$...probably not. I have until close to the end of may when i get my big bird done , and i am not quite sure i want to set everything up on my futaba 7chp radio.......but if i plop down the $$ for a 9C......it'll really piss me off watching the new 9-12 channel spektrum stuff come out and make my regular ol' 72 mgz radio a dinosaur. UUUHHHGG!!.........i'm at a stand still here i guess. I have read a ton of people on here being kind of upset that they jumped onto the DX-7 bandwagon so early , and then having these upper end radio's coming out sometime soon , is going to make the 7 channel feel like a waste of money. I guess i'll have to sit and wait and see what happens. I want to switch to spektrum for sure......but another 7-8 channel?...........don't think so.......give me 9-10 channels and i'll be happy.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Zeeb

Well it's been announced!

12 channel 2.4 GHz is on the way...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 PM
chrisF test pilot

What hasnt been announced curiously is the price. Its on Towers website as of this evening but still not price.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Zeeb

How much does it matter?

The press release says something about being less than "other" 12 channel radios, so my thoughts are that it will be less than the 12Z. Bax has said it doesn't have quite as many features as the 12Z so that tends to support the idea it will be less than the 12Z as well. He also said you could convert it between 50 MHz, 72 MHz, and 2.4 GHz by just changing the modules, how's that for neat? I can start with one model and gradually convert the others while still having the ability to run the R49DP's in my other airplanes by having a 72 MHz module for the new tx as well.

My 9Z was $1000.00 with a synthesized module, I think the 10x JR's were in that range as well but I really don't know other than it was/is an expensive radio.

If you want a 12 channel radio, I think it's gona be a grand at least. Just the price of admission to high end, high channel number equipment...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 PM
markalign
My Feedback: (13)

Hi, i hope some one here can give me some advice on getting the Futaba Gyro 401 to work with the Futaba 9Z wc2 radio. I have it set up in JR ergo Gasser. I was following some advice i saw called the 9Z idiots guide and all was going well until i followed(i think i did as was instructed) the instructions about a null setting on a switch, now the gyro does not seem to work as when you shift the heli the rudder servo is now stationary(no counter action from gyro) but if you move the pitch it(rudder servo) also moves like its now mixed,HELP!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM
mga

I own a Futaba 9z. I have seperate servos on elevator using a match box. What do I have to do to use the same two servos on elevator without using the matchbox. Also will I be able to trim both servos, and adjust center point on them. What is the procedure to go through. I have read the manual over and over and can't see where the instructions are for this.
Thanks