Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14MZ, 12Z, or 12FGA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 14MZ, 12Z, or 12FGA?

As I understand it, with the new 2.4GHz TX and modules, you can swap out modules on the 14MZ, 12Z, and 12FGA transmitters. Any of these TX's can transmit on 72MHz or 2.4GHz as good as the others. So I'm trying to figure out if I might be ready to switch to one of these TX's.
I've been a JR 10X guy for many years now, but I'm not stuck on any one brand, I just want the best, but I'm not familiar with the programming and features on these Futaba TX's and I haven't found a good explanation anywhere.
So I guess my question is: What are the differences in these 3 TX's? I need to know if I want any of them, or should I just keep my 10X?

Oh, I know the 14MZ is over $2,000, but I'm willing to pay that if it is worth that. What makes it worth that?

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 AM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 14MZ, 12Z, or 12FGA?

I'm a 12z user I would say if I had to do it over again I would probably save a little money and go with the new 12FG. It only lacks a couple of features of the 12Z according to chart on Futaba site. JR and Futaba do the same thing but in differant ways. I would say Futuaba has the lead now with there release of 2.4GHz FASST. I'm sure JR will have there 2.4GHz version out in less then 1 year. Reason I say that is product demand, JR can't set back and due nothing that wouldn't be good business sense.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Hammbone

Thanks for the comparison chart. That's exactly what I was looking for.
I think I would maybe go with the 12Z just because it has a lithium battery and the 12FG doesn't.

Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

It is remarkable how little real difference there is between the two 12 channel radios. As far as the battery goes, the type does not matter to me. The 12FG has a 1700 NiMH and the 12Z uses the same 2200 lithium as the 14MZ. So the 12Z gives you about 30% more battery. However, I do not know what the load is of the 12FG. If the 12Z is a lot higher, then it does not really matter.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

I think I would maybe go with the 12Z just because it has a lithium battery and the 12FG doesn't.

Jim

Simply curious as I am trying to decide for myself....but why would this be a reason to choose one over the other?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Hammbone

It's not so much the load or how long the battery is going to last while in use, it's the advantage of being able to charge a lithium battery and have it hold it's charge for months and still be ready for you to grab it and go flying at the drop of a dime that matters to me.
NiMH batteries require that you charge them just before you go flying because they will loose their charge pretty quickly.

Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 AM
exeter_acres

Ummm....why would you go months without flying??? thats just wrong!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Hammbone

I don't go months without flying, I was just stressing that a lithium battery will hold its charge, but I sometimes do go a week without flying. A lithium battery will still be fully charged after a week or 2. I use lithiums on everything and I want to keep it that way.

Futaba finally came around and upgraded to lithiums with the 12Z's and 14MZ's, why are they now taking a step backwards and downgrading to NiMH's again? Must be to save some money and offer a cheaper TX that falls inbetween the 9 channels and the 12Z. I'll gladly pay a little more for the lithium battery

Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Banker
My Feedback: (10)

Jim:

I am a 10x user and trying to decide the same thing. The question I would like to have answered is this: Does the modular system (12z) versus the purpose built system (12fg) have the same "locked" in feel that everyone raves about?

The features look good on all three radios and cost is not really an issue (not to sound snobby) because I don't change radios often.

Banker
Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Hammbone

I'm not so sure that the 12FG is going to be a dedicated 2.4 GHz TX (or as you put it, purpose built). From everything I have read about the new 12FG, it sounds like it may have the same replaceable module that the 12Z and 14MZ have. This means that it will not be any different than the 12Z and 14MZ as far as modules and frequency transmission goes. It sounds like all 3 TX's will be able to transmit on the different frequencies available just by swapping out the module.

I hope this also means that the 12Z and 14MZ will be available for purchase with whichever module you prefer it to come with.

I'm still waiting on clarification of this, and I will be at the Futaba booth this weekend at the Toledo show asking a lot of questions. Hopefully they will have some answers.

Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
exeter_acres

I'll be at Toledo all weekend... and I have a feeling that the Great Planes/Futaba booth may be a bit busy!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Banker

Will you post the answers?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Hammbone

Sure, I (or someone) will let you know what (if anything) we find out.

Jim
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
exeter_acres

Darn Hammbone!! You know it is a secret that only Toledo goers can tell!!

Banker, you need the make the pilgrimage to Toledo to find out!!!

(Ok, fine.. there will be many threads on the news of Toledo...don't worry!)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

It's not so much the load or how long the battery is going to last while in use, it's the advantage of being able to charge a lithium battery and have it hold it's charge for months and still be ready for you to grab it and go flying at the drop of a dime that matters to me.
NiMH batteries require that you charge them just before you go flying because they will loose their charge pretty quickly.

Jim
Just how often is this an issue?? Even with the lithium batteries in my 14MZ I will usually top them off before a flying session. Same with the lithium packs in my heli and giant scale planes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Banker

I owe....I owe...so it's off to work I go.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I'll be at Toledo all weekend... and I have a feeling that the Great Planes/Futaba booth may be a bit busy!!!
Y' think

Seriously, I have 2 questions. First, does the 72MHz antenna have to be removed, or can it just be left collapsed when using the SS module in a 9C??
Second, Will Futaba be able to incorporate the equivilant of "model match" on their dedicated SS radios?
Have a great time in Ohio, I envy youse guys that are getting to go[&o].
Regards,
Pete
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 AM
DKjens

If you like your 10X radios, why not just get XtremeLink for it? XtremeLink is cheaper than Spektrum, and 99% sure also cheaper than FASST, and IMHO superior to both systems. You'll save $2,000.00, good for a 150-180cc engine.

DKjens
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: DKjens

If you like your 10X radios, why not just get XtremeLink for it? XtremeLink is cheaper than Spektrum, and 99% sure also cheaper than FASST, and IMHO superior to both systems.
DKjens
You keep saying this, but I am curious what the evidence is that leads you to this conclusion??

In other words, what proof is there that the as yet unreleased XPS system performs better than the as yet unreleased Spektrum modules or the yet to be released Futaba FASST modules.?

And going by current production systems, what failings have you determined exist in the Spektrum and FASST systems that ARE available and how will XPS improve upon the situation?

Not trying to bust your chops here Jens, but I am trying to determine what data, information, or proof you have that supports your enthusiasm for XPS over all other systems. And I am talking about technical reasons, not cost.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
DKjens

Silent-AV8R,
As I wrote, it is 'in my humble opinion'. XL is true two way communication, IMHO more sofisticated antenna design and range. I have seen XL in use multiple times without problems, but with praise from the user. I have seen and read about problems with Spektrum. I believe FASST is superior to Spektrum, but I'm afraid it's going to be very expensive, and I don't see FASST in any way being superior to XtremeLink.
XtremeLink will be available in Toledo; for $200.00 you can convert your 10X and have a 10ch receiver.

DKjens
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I'll be in Toledo this week and pay a visit to the Xtreem like booth if I can find it. Maybe then I'll get some real information from the vendor first hand
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: DKjens

Silent-AV8R,
As I wrote, it is 'in my humble opinion'. XL is true two way communication, IMHO more sofisticated antenna design and range.
I will grant you that this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, it is based on essentially no real data.

I have seen literally dozens and dozens of Spektrum systems in use by real-life modelers operate flawlessly. You have seen a few test flight demos of XPS systems by selected pilots. And you have "heard" of problems with Spektrum systems.

The much talked about "2-way communications" of XPS are a difference without a distinction. It allows for telemetry, but it has not been shown to provide a better link, and in fact it is required by the type of SS implementation that XPS uses. The XPS system stays on a certain channel until the RX tells it that it needs to change. Then it hops to where the RX tells the TX to go. Spektrum locks a chunk of bandwidth and rejects interference by brute strength and how large a chunk of bandwidth it is using (hence the 41 available pairs). Futaba hops every 2 milliseconds regardless of what is going on around it. All are perfectly proven methods and as far as I have seen none has been demonstrated to be technically better than the other, marketing blurbs aside.

My point is that I think it is unjustified for any one of the three current or pending systems to claim that their system is the best. All are going (or are) work fine. It will be a matter of cost, brand loyalty, and after sale support that will be the real determining factor.

Personally I plan to use a Futaba made module in my 14MZ. 14 full channels and a module designed and built by the folks who made my radio. And I do not consider this the same thing as OEM auto parts versus hot rod shop stuff. Futaba clearly used their proprietary knowledge of their own system to engineer a module system that neither Spektrum or XPS were able to do. I also have a 9303, and for that radio I am not certain what I will do. The tip of the hat might go to XPS simply due to a more streamlined antenna arrangement on the module. I am not a big fan of wires hanging out of the back of my TX.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

for your 9303
ya might wana look at the thread on rotory.com entitled jr 2.4 systems

http://www.rotory.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/75841/

i dunno if this link will work here or not
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
porscheaddiction

ORIGINAL: mongo

for your 9303
ya might wana look at the thread on rotory.com entitled jr 2.4 systems
if this is true...Wow what a surprise fully compatible with Spektrums rx's its sure looks more and more that Spektrum was a test bed for JR.
just my two cents.
Chris.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Hammbone

Well,
I'm back from Toledo and have made a decision. This JR 10X guy will be buying a Futaba 14MZ as soon as it is available for purchase with the 2.4GHz module (@ 3 months). I got to hold and play with the programming on the Futaba 14MZ, 12Z, and 12FG. The FG programming was not yet complete, but some of it was there. I liked the 14MZ a lot more than the rest of them, and think it is worth the extra $800 for my situation. The 14MZ also just felt better in my hands. I liked the balance of it better and it is a little wider than the others. I really like being able to change out switches and put any type of switch anywhere I want it. This can only be done by the user on the 14MZ, although I think you can send in a 12Z and have them do it for you.
I was able to just pick up the 14MZ and figure out most of the programming without seeing a manual, and it has a lot of programming! I think it will be a nice upgrade for me from my JR 10X. I will be gaining a lot of features!

JR had a 12Z at the show, but it was in a display case and no one could touch it. I think it was an empty case placed there for looks and my guess is that we won't see a 12X for sale for at least 2 years. I would also guess that even when it does become available, it won't be as nice as the 14MZ is.

The Futaba 12FG is not going to be a dedicated 2.4GHz system, but will have plug in modules just like the other Futaba TX's. I don't see how there will be very much difference in features between the 12Z and the 12FG.

They were not able to get any pricing for us yet, but they expect to have some pricing within a week or 2. The 2.4GHz modules and RX's are expected to be just slightly more money than their 72MHz counterparts.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.