Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX ANTENNA ROUTING

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 AM
RITTMEISTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX ANTENNA ROUTING

I have installed a plastic tube to route the reciever antenna wire through the fuselage. The reciever is a ultra micro Futaba 124 F. Plane is a Fokker D-7 36in. span. Should I run the antenna ouside the fuselage?? Better reception?.
RITTMEISTER
Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: RX ANTENNA ROUTING

I haven't run an antenna outside the fuse since the 70's and never had a problem
Old 04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
onewasp

Non 2.4GHz ----the faster you exit the fuse the better!

Yes, some "get away with" the antenna inside (72 and 50 MHz)-----some don't. I don't think any radio man will agree that the reception is equal inside vs. outside as it simply isn't true.

However, many fly that way (inside with 72/50MHz) and have not experienced a problem. I've had each experience.
While still flying 50MHz I insisted that the antenna be outside (one bad experience was enough).

I switched to Spektrum late last year--------and I am quite happy with my choice.

Answering your question directly----when in doubt, DON'T.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well there's one vote for and one against.

Ask at your local field and see what the other guys are doing. If they say they get a lot of interference running inside, then run it outside.

I'm willing to bet that most of them run internally
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 PM
pilotpete2

My experiences agree with MinFlyer, I always run my antenna thru the fuse, never have had a problem.
Now to your specific Fokker, I assume that it the new GP DII?? If so the antenna will have to hang out the tail, at least it does on my GP S.E.5a, in fact quite a lot will hang out with that short fuse
Getting back to the inside the fuse issue, on my Goldburg Extra 300 (BIY kit) the antenna runs in a tube on the inside of the bottom of the fuse, the plans show it on the outside on the bottom of the fuse, that makes mine maybe 1/4" closer to the pushrods, and wood and plastic covering provide zero attenuation of the signal, running the antenna outside can lead to failure of the wire from too much flexing (rarely, I admit).
Good luck with the fokker[8D],
Pete
Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a number of models with antenna inside fuselage but even more have bad glitch problems unless antenna routed outside. Besides the usual wires, leads and other reasons, the type of construction and especially the covering material does make a big difference. Good reference is
Guide to receivers - and solving apparent RX & "Interference" problems - written some years ago, all remains true except the paragraph on swapping crystals - they are no longer interchangeable except as listed by GWS
Crystal Compatability Chart for RC units (courtesy GWS)
see also the sub section on receivers under "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" on my web page.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
RITTMEISTER

Thanks for the info. The kit is a Dare Fokker D -7. My concern is the ultra micro reciever is single rate conversion with about 385 ft. range. So I was wondering if internal route would compromise my range. RITTMEISTER
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Piet Le Roux

The fact of the matter is that the installation of an antenna in a model plane will always be a compromise between efficiency and reliability but one has to do the best one can. Try and keep all the servo leads, battery lead and switch to one side of the plane and run the antenna on the opposite side. Rather place the antenna securely inside the plane than having it flapping on the outside, if you bend any copper wire enough times it will break, the problem is it will break inside the insulation and you will not see it, until it’s too late.
As far as wires parallel to the antenna goes: you are extending the length of the antenna by adding extra wire via small capacitors, if the spacing more than a cm, the capacitance will be very small and the effect negligible. Wires running perpendicular to the antenna will have no effect on it. I always just leave a little pigtail on the RX and route the antenna when I am assembling the plane, gluing the tip of the antenna underneath the vertical stabilizer. When I am sure the antenna is secure and out of the way I solder it to the pigtail and insulate it with heat shrink.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM
pilotpete2

Your concern over the receivers range is well founded, in fact I feel very strongly that it is not an appropriate choice for a plane this size, or any parkflyer for that matter that will be flying on the edge of the receivers range, it sounds as though that receiver is for indoor micro flying. For a plane of this size you should have a full range single conversion receiver such as the Hitec 05S or better yet a micro dual conversion such as the FMA Encore.
I think in this case the choice of receiver is more an issue than the antenna routing.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Piet Le Roux

At first I did not want to comment on the range of the receiver because it’s ridiculous to think that you will get less range if you keep the antenna inside the plane, as long as you do not coil the wire. I don’t think the 124F will have less range than any other normal size RX. There is also no foundation to believe that a double conversion will be more sensitive than a single conversion RX. The double conversion will have better resistance to some types of interference. I have only used single conversion receivers (JR R700) and have never had any problems with range.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 AM
RITTMEISTER

WOW!!!
That is alot of info. Thanks to all!! For taking the time to share your knowlege:-}} My question well answered!!
RITTMEISTER