Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 3PM-2.4G, do I need a failsafe?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Vinman02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3PM-2.4G, do I need a failsafe?

Hi there,
I have a Futaba 3PM-2.4G TX with an R603FF RX in my REVO 3.3 with the stock servos (for now).

Do I need a separate failsafe to prevent runaways in the event of low battery or signal failure? According to the manual I shoudn't need a separate FS but the salesman at the LHS advised that I would need one. I bought a Futaba failsafe and the included instructions clearly state not to use it with HRS.

Also, what is the difference between HRS and PPM? Is one better than the other?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Vince
Old 04-07-2007, 04:37 PM
nitrothugg

Default RE: Futaba 3PM-2.4G, do I need a failsafe?

First, the stock servos in your Revo are not comptible with Futaba's HRS mode. That mode is for digital servos only! Next, you do not need an electronic fail-safe (F/S) to add to this radio kit because there is one built into the transmitter and rx already!

Since you do not have digital servos, make sure you set your Tx to the "PPM" mode. Once you have accomplished this, hold the throttle trigger to the position where you want the F/S set at (brakes i hope) then press the green button on the rear at the same time.

Now your F/S is ready to go and you saved yourself a few bucks. The only draw-back is that since you are using it in that PPM mode, you have to set it everytime you turn the Tx on so it can become a chore to forget if your mind is on other things. thats the only reason why i would even consider getting and installing an after market F/S so you have that piece of mind.

I don't know why Futaba made it work that way but it does work if you remember. Now if you have set in HRS mode, the F/S positions are stored in the Tx like any other setting (my set-up) and you never have to worry about unless you reset all of your settings.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 PM
rcj

Hi, I would like to ask a related question if you don't mind.

I would like to know if it is possible to use a digital servo (such as Futaba S3050 or Hitec HS5625S) without a 6v power pack and still be able to use HRS mode? (The digital servo would be running off 4.8V from the receiver.)
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 AM
nitrothugg

sure you could but if you were to upgrade to digital servos you might as well do the 6v conversion as well. that way you get the best performance from your servos (torque and speed). for a flat pack for a revo with 6v can be had for $20. that will even wake-up the stock servos.

research though because i know that some of futaba's digital servos are supposed to only run on 4.8v (dont know why).
Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Vinman02

Nitrothugg, thanks for the reply.

I'm still a bit curious why I can't use the HRS mode with the stock non-digital servos. When I was setting up the radio the stock servos seemd to work fine on the bench (although at this point I will strictly be using the PPM mode).

Is there any benefit to the digital servos? I do plan on a single servo conversion and was going to use a Hitec 5995 servo.

Thanks again.

Vince
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM
rcj

In the 3PM FM manual it says that HRS and failsafe can only work with digital servo running on 6V. Unfortunately, it seems this is also the case with 3PM 2.4ghz version

Here are the quotes, note that the receiver is different than the R603FF:
"In case of the High Response System (H.R.S) receiver R203HF, always use only the
following conditions:
Servo; 6V type Digital Servo only
Power supply; 6V Nicd battery
Transmitter setting; "HRS" mode
If the conditions are different, control is impossible."

and

"Fail Safe/Battery Fail Safe (HRS System Only)"
Old 04-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Vinman02

ORIGINAL: rcj

In the 3PM FM manual it says that HRS and failsafe can only work with digital servo running on 6V. Unfortunately, it seems this is also the case with 3PM 2.4ghz version

Here are the quotes, note that the receiver is different than the R603FF:
"In case of the High Response System (H.R.S) receiver R203HF, always use only the
following conditions:
Servo; 6V type Digital Servo only
Power supply; 6V Nicd battery
Transmitter setting; "HRS" mode
If the conditions are different, control is impossible."

and

"Fail Safe/Battery Fail Safe (HRS System Only)"

It doesn't make sense to me. I can set the TX to HRS and everything works fine (FS included)
There is also a method of using FS with PPM, All you have to do is push the brake lever and hit the little button on the reverse side of the TX each time you turn the radio on, not ideal but it does work flawlessly.

Vince
Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM
rcj

I have the 3PM 2.4Ghz like yours on order. I haven't been able to find a manual for it except the 3PM FM. I've been trying to understand the HRS/Failsafe requirements myself. I'd rather not have to use a 6V power pack to get HRS & saved Failsafe because of the extra cost, weight, and maintenance. Did your radio come with a manual specific to the 3PM 2.4Ghz radio? At least there's the manual failsafe you mentioned.

BTW, how do you like the radio and what range are you getting in the neighbourhood street area?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Vinman02

ORIGINAL: rcj

I have the 3PM 2.4Ghz like yours on order. I haven't been able to find a manual for it except the 3PM FM. I've been trying to understand the HRS/Failsafe requirements myself. I'd rather not have to use a 6V power pack to get HRS & saved Failsafe because of the extra cost, weight, and maintenance. Did your radio come with a manual specific to the 3PM 2.4Ghz radio? At least there's the manual failsafe you mentioned.

BTW, how do you like the radio and what range are you getting in the neighbourhood street area?

I really like this radio system (although I am just getting back into the hobby after 6-7 years and a lot of things have changed)
The manual is specific to the 3PM-2.4G
I only ran about 5 tanks of fuel (today) since I got this radio and it worked flawlessly, I tested the FS several times and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I have already gotten into the habit of setting it every time I turn on the TX so forgetting shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed).

I was out in an open construction area so I can't speak about reception in the neighbourhood areas.

Vince