Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX7 charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
clrd4appr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX7 charging

Purchased my first DX7 2.4g radio system from local hobby shop along with an extra AR7000 DSM2 receiver last week. Upon reviewing the manual which states charge TX and RX for 16hrs at 110mah.....found out the charger included is only 50mah.

In contacting HH tech support, he said to just charge for 30 hrs initially and 16 hrs there after. Yes, I do realize one can still pump 50mah charge into a 1100mah battery.

So when buying your new DX7 system it will mostly likely have a 50mah charger for now.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX7 buyer beware

Did HH offer to replace your 50ma charger for one with more capacity? Seem's to me that's the right way to go..
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
clrd4appr

No Bob, HH did not and I certainly thought that this is what would take place. My local shop was quite surprised by this as well. Though still looking forward to using the new system, I am going to use my heli charger which has correct mah output and will only charge one at a time till something is resolved. This may seem trival, but to many big planes around the shop for mulitcharger cords to reach and I do use supplied charger.

ORIGINAL: BobH

Did HH offer to replace your 50ma charger for one with more capacity? Seem's to me that's the right way to go..
Old 04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
onewasp

That "charger fact" has been known and discussed here since December------we all have that (DX7 users).
Really it is kind of surprising that you hadn't picked up on that before you bought it as it has had quite a number of posts. I believe some where 'down the line' they'll probably change it but since the radio will operate without a change I do not look for any retro fitting.

In my case (I'll bet in many others too) I have my own array of chargers so seldom do I even unpack the 'wall wart' that comes with the radio regardless of Mfgr.

In this case I did simply because it was a 'bit off'.
MY results are these: after a 24 hour charge (Rx and Tx) I went flying-------GREAT! Love it!

I returned home and put it on charge overnight------flying again = no problem.

That was the last use I made of that charger (or any other that comes with the radio) and since then the radio has been on my usual regime for charging.

For me and most other DX7 fliers I've conversed with, it seems to be a non-issue.
I'm so pleased with the radio's operation that I really do not care-----if it had been a stronger charger I still would have left it in the box. This way I at least satisfied MY curiosity since it was a 50mil charger on each side.

Tested and accepted by me.
You can use it and fly a normal schedule----just plug in when you get back from the field. I assume you are checking battery condition before each flight.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: onewasp

For me and most other DX7 fliers I've conversed with, it seems to be a non-issue.
And it shouldn't be an issue, especially for a " 20yr veteran of the hobby ".
Get a good adjustable after market charger ! [>:] Scheech !

Most experienced people purchase the radio, full well knowing, that they won't be using that inadequate wall wart.

The superb performance of the DX-7 speaks for itself. Dump the wall wart !
Old 04-10-2007, 12:46 AM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Not only that,but the first charge is the most important,,i allways slow charge all batteries the first time,,the longer the better,,ive found they last a lot longer that way,anybody thats been in this hobby very long understands how important the first charge on a battery is.

NdFrSpeed
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX7 buyer concern

As the charge is under .10C of rated battery capacity-- -I love it!
just plug it in whenever--- take it off when ever -and you never harm the NiMh cells
why would you need a faster charge ?
the tx flies all day long--
My 10x /9303 etc even with oversized cells will not come close to the "flyin time" the DX7 offers .
Frankly I was pleased with the small charger - I did initial cell conditioning with it and then - I just plug it in a day or so whatever - before going flying -and the cells are topped off .
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
onewasp

NdFrSpeed

That's kind of pale looking grass your planes are sitting on.

Next club meeting see if you can't get an appropriation for some fertilizer.