Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 Owners, Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Owners, Help me please

This is my very first computerized radio. On top of that this is my first plane that has more than 4 servos.

I have a U CAN DO .46 It has a servo for each aileron and a servo for each side of the elevators. How do I program the DX7 to do this? I selected flapperon on the menu but what about the elevators?

I dont understand how to setup dual rates either, even after reading the manual... I need some spoon feeding i guess.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: DX7 Owners, Help me please

unless you want to try some serious mixing and 3d stuff, i would simply use a Y harness to connect both elevator servos to one channel.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

plug in your right aileron into the aileron port and your left into Aux 1. The elevators go into the elevator port and Aux 2.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Zephirus79

Thats it? No tricky programming or anything fancy with the radio? The simplest things are the answers I guess. Ok once I get this plane finished, ill give it a whril.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

check servo rotation directions, with the servos in the layout they will have in the plane, ya might have to pick pushrods off opposite sides to get both halves to move the same way. or a reversed servo. some outfit even makes a Y harness with a reverser in one leg.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
onewasp

Look here-----follow it chapter and verse-----This is THE way to set it up.

http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm

Whatever you do STAY AWAY from 'Y' harnesses------they are not needed with the DX7.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

You've bought a radio with lots of capabilities, and it's really not that hard. When you are doing multiple servo setups, just think about it as "one servo per channel", then setup the radio to make it all do what you want.
My website has quite a lot of information, maybe it will help out.

The "Flaperon" is the right mode for individual aileron servos. That procedure is pretty straightforward in the manual. The dual elevators is a little more complicated, but once you understand what you're telling the radio to do, it will be easier.

Basically, in narrative, you are telling the radio - "Use two servos for elevators, one in ELEVATOR, the other in AUX2, and mix them together so that when I move the stick, BOTH will move together. And when I move the TRIM lever, BOTH will respond."

If one of the servos moves the wrong direction, use the servo direction program to "REV" that channel. Centering is done using "SUB TRIM", again in each channel independently as needed. Same with ATV (Travel)....except that when you turn on MIX 5 or 6 for the dual elevator, changing JUST THE ELEVATOR channel WILL change *both* channels.

Play with it on the bench. Don't be timid about it; it's the easiest way to learn.
BY all means - take advantage of the stuff in the radio, and DON'T do Y harnesses - ever - unless you are REALLY forced to.

ORIGINAL: Zephirus79

This is my very first computerized radio. On top of that this is my first plane that has more than 4 servos.

I have a U CAN DO .46 It has a servo for each aileron and a servo for each side of the elevators. How do I program the DX7 to do this? I selected flapperon on the menu but what about the elevators?

I dont understand how to setup dual rates either, even after reading the manual... I need some spoon feeding i guess.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 AM
gtrsviper

can someone please confirm this-> I Read that mode 2 on DX7 was a left hand throttle, which i ordered one........ then over the weekend I read its mode 1 that is left hand throttle…

many thanks[8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Look here-follow it chapter and verse-This is THE way to set it up.

http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm

Whatever you do STAY AWAY from 'Y' harnessesthey are not needed with the DX7.
Open these two Adobe files - in the order displayed it describes -the exact sequence which works best - It was provided by Horizon an is correct.
I checked it out on my DX7. avoid any sub trim - for best results -this sequence matches the elev servos
Your linkages shoud be corrected if any error is noticed .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec89535.pdf (603.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf
Rp43776.pdf (594.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Hilarious

Richard,
Thanks for posting the pdf.

The exact article is live now on HorizonHobby.com at this link:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1798

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
gtrsviper

Found the answer

The accelerater =
Mode 1 is right hand
Mode 2 is the left hand side..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
rcdude-K

while we are on the subject of dual servos. I also have a question or two. I also have gotten back into the hobby after a long time and have purchased the DX7. I have installed it in a typhoon2 3d plug and play version. While i have figured out the connections of the servos to the reciever and have successfully bound it. When I turn on the radio and plug in the battery on the plane, my aileron servos seem to be way out of center. I do not have any trim adjustments or sub-trims set on the radio (that I know of). Is there any where I can look before going to the servos and removing the arms to recenter them that way. in the old days you set your trims to neutral turn everything on and move the servo horn and then trim with the sub trims. With this new computer radio I want to make sure it is not something with that first. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Once the model is setup, you need to do a bind again. This tells the rx where to move the servos while waiting for the link up with the tx. Failure to do this will usually result in servos being driven someplace other than neutral and the classic problem was with retracts where the servo direction was reversed in the tx. When the model was turned on the gear would retract, then as soon as it linked the gear would extend.

I think that information is in the manual...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
rcdude-K

okay tried that. that didn't work.Ihave radio set up for flaperon and one aileron on the aileron channel and one on the aux1 channel. Come to find out that the "flight mode switch on the upper left side switch has something to do with it but i'm not exactly sure yet. In the N position ailerons are up. in the Square or position 1 they return to neutral ( sort of). in position 2 they move down. I am not completeley sure but I can only assume that this has something to do with the flap portion inthe flaperon setting. I should also mention that this radio is a heli setup radio not the airplane set up. There is more than one difference, such as switch labeling and location on the radio. I did not realize this when I bought it. The guy at the hobby store said that if I was even going to consider flying helis in the future that I should buy the heli version of the DX7 radio.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Groundrushesup

ORIGINAL: rcdude-K

okay tried that. that didn't work.Ihave radio set up for flaperon and one aileron on the aileron channel and one on the aux1 channel. Come to find out that the "flight mode switch on the upper left side switch has something to do with it but i'm not exactly sure yet. In the N position ailerons are up. in the Square or position 1 they return to neutral ( sort of). in position 2 they move down. I am not completeley sure but I can only assume that this has something to do with the flap portion inthe flaperon setting. I should also mention that this radio is a heli setup radio not the airplane set up. There is more than one difference, such as switch labeling and location on the radio. I did not realize this when I bought it. The guy at the hobby store said that if I was even going to consider flying helis in the future that I should buy the heli version of the DX7 radio.
Re: zeroing your servos: Check your sub trims and your trim positions in the setup menu, and if they aren't monkeyed with (highly likely unless you were feeling adventurous) you need to adjust the horns. Computers can't do everything.

By default, Flight mode switch controls flaps when the Flaperon setting is on. What you have is basically 3 positions for flaps, and your neutral is not in the right spot. you want the N to be neutral (yeah?) and the 1 to be down say, half, and the 2 to be down full.

Right now you have spoilers.

The guy at your LHS was right if not a bit too slick with the sales pitch. I have the DX7 heli, have no intentions of flying helis ev4r, but my guy knocked 10 bucks off to sell it to me that day, and I am no gift-horse dentist. It does everything the plane model does. No worries.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, just inhibit the flaps, should do it.

I got a DX7 in the heli version for flying airplanes as well. I do like the differences in the two switch placements, but I really wanted to try the smooth throttle and I liked it much better than the ratchet throttle usually found on airplane radios.

So my X9303 was a heli version and my 12X is also smooth throttle as that's the only way they come now.

It's been awhile since I played with the DX7, so I'm kind of going from memory here on your problem...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
rcdude-K

Thanks for the info guys. I will go back and double check trims and sub trims, but, I think they are all untampered with. I do have every intention of buying a heli sooner or later, So the heli setup in the radio seemed the way to go. And the ratchet for the throttle is in the box if I decide i like that feel better, but i am kinda liking the non ratchet feel. We'll see how i feel about after I get a few flights on it. ( actally I have a Blade CP now that is on it's own radio. everything works so why change it).
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Groundrushesup

ORIGINAL: rcdude-K
And the ratchet for the throttle is in the box if I decide i like that feel better
Yeap, couldn't be easier. 8 screws and you are done. Good luck mang. Oh one other tip - there is enough room in the battery compartment to store a bind plug. Handy place to keep 'em.