Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4ghz module up grade for the 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
flyfishinggo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4ghz module up grade for the 14MZ

I have a 14mz which is less than 6 months old. I feel betrayed by Futaba's approach to the 2.4 Gig Module upgrade. The 14MZ and the FX40 System are the TOP OF the LINE System and as such are considered as an investment, and should be treated as a TOP OF THE LINE PRODUCT. The external addition of this module seems only to cheapen the appearance of the System. Why make the investment? With a removable Module and antenna system, one would think something less obvious could be done. The release of the pictures of the different modules system was made bu Futaba, but why no pictures of the modules attached to the various system. I feel something should be done by Futaba to assist in this change over, rather than just going on as is. Futaba should poll the users of these system for their feelings on this issue.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:25 AM
NikolayTT

Default RE: 2.4ghz module up grade for the 14MZ

I am afraid the reasons are many: Futaba is so highly appreciated so they do not invest in development enough;
they had accees to those GHz chips many years ago and if they wanted they could have been on the market some
years ago, well the others obviously too, like Hitec. It is always cheaper to do as little as possible new developments.
In this sense I try to buy the cheapest on the market, which is good enough, because the most expensive ones are
obviously not good enough in some sense either or they have been piling in the shelfs so they have to sell them
first. Thanks for informing; you just boost my confidence to save further more.
Regards,
Nick
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 AM
RCfan99

I bought my radios two years ago ... I think what Futaba is doing is a great way to expand on an already excellent radio system. I can understand you feeling betrayed due to your relatively recent purchase, but you have to remember these radios have been out for quite some time. I'm sure others that purchased these radios as they came out are very excited about FASST and Futaba's solution.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Silent-AV8R

I feel compelled to make a comment.

But why is it that people think changing frequency is an "upgrade"?? It is simply a channel/band change. I changed my 14MZ from 72 megahertz band to 50 megahertz band. I did not call it an "upgrade" because it was not an upgrade. I had to pay to get the new module and receivers as well. There is nothing wrong with the 14MZ as is and nothing that needs "upgrading". If you choose to you can change frequency bands between several choices based on your location. Nothing "upgrade" about that.

edited to reflect move into general forum section.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're moving this to the General Radios forum. This is a discussion, and not questions to the Futaba Support staff.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyfishinggo2

I have a 14mz which is less than 6 months old. I feel betrayed by Futaba's approach to the 2.4 Gig Module upgrade. The 14MZ and the FX40 System are the TOP OF the LINE System and as such are considered as an investment, and should be treated as a TOP OF THE LINE PRODUCT. The external addition of this module seems only to cheapen the appearance of the System. Why make the investment? With a removable Module and antenna system, one would think something less obvious could be done. The release of the pictures of the different modules system was made bu Futaba, but why no pictures of the modules attached to the various system. I feel something should be done by Futaba to assist in this change over, rather than just going on as is. Futaba should poll the users of these system for their feelings on this issue.
Looked like a question to me, but then again who am I?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modules seem to be the least intrusive means of using 2.4Ghz on a 14mz. I for one am happy I can go back and forth between spectrum and 72mhz. What if we start to experience some of the issues Spektrum DX-7 users are experience and you've just done a "less obvious" upgrade? It would be much harder to switch back and forth between 72mhz and 2.4ghz. Also, many 14mz owners have a boat load of 72mhz rx and I doubt they are going to go spend thousands of dollars in receivers to upgrade their entire fleet. You better believe I am not testing the spectrum module/rx with my $4000 35% Extra. I will put it in something small and cheap until I feel confident.

2.4Ghz is not TOP OF THE LINE until all the bugs are ironed out. It is just an alternative.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

I love the solution. I have lots of g3 receivers and intend to keep them. I will buy the 2.4 module to check it out and if I like it I will start to add them to my fleet. The ability to use both is phenomenal. Why would you want to remove the 72 mhz functionality and downgrade to just having 2.4 ? The most amazing thing is you are complaining and the solution on the 14mz module is so well done that it actually looks good. The new antenna is only going to be 1 inch away from the 72mhz one and on the 14mz those are removable anyway. Come on now, "betrayed".
Before I finish, dont buy into the latency rubbish just yet, the 14mz is still faster than a native spektrum 7 so I would wait until the module comes out and find what pulse the 14 decides to use with it. That is what having the most upgradeable system on the market gives you, Even on 72 we keep getting different ppm modes added by software updates. I am sure we will get the fastest possible.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 AM
saitofreak

Modules protect your investment - be glad you can accomodate future upgrades including 2.4G. I don't see why the aesthetic of the unit is important - it's a radio controller (ie. a piece of switchgear). Not an iPod.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM
flyfishinggo2

in reply to Dragoonpvw:
I agree the ability to change between 72 MHz and the 2.4 GHZ would be Phenomenal, that was never my issue. What I was talking about was being able to change the Module and antenna while using using the two existing access points only, and at the same time keeping the same great looks of the orginal system. What I gave to Futaba, was my input to this issue with the hopes that this input could be sent to Futaba"s Corporate Office for its evualation. I love Futaba Products, thats all I have, I believe in the Company and inputs from the Customer / field could only have the possibility of making a great product greater.
In your response, you indicated that the 2.4 GHZ module looks good attached to the 14 Mz, if you have any pictures of that complete installation, could you please send it. The only reference I have is the module alone and not attached, why try to visualize something, when you could see the final product and then be able to judge for yourself. Futaba has pictures of their 2.4 GHz modules, why not take one more picture with a completed System. After all, that is the bottom line, the final product.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look Here: http://www.teambob00.com/
Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
tkilwein

For an after design, the 14MZ conversion module looks good.
I expected it to stick much further out the back, this looks very acceptable to me!

Now for prices and more exact dates. Early pre orders?

FUTABA???

Tony
Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 AM
woodie

ORIGINAL: tkilwein

I expected it to stick much further out the back, this looks very acceptable to me!

FUTABA???

Tony
Radio South is taking pre delivery orders now. www.radiosouthrc.com

Don
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: woodie

FUTABA???

Tony

Don
Woodie,

All I could find were the butt-ugly Spektrum modules. Can you lead me to the Futaba price list?

Later;

D.W.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No prices on the Futaba stuff yet..
Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
mikehannah

Hi
With a little more effort they could make the thing blend better with the body of the tx and blend in nicely. Personnally I think the ariel off to one side is crap and they should angle the top of the module in slightly to conform with the shape of the trannie. Then we are talking as it will be almost invisible. In fact if they were really smart they could make it so that the module has a hood which covers the existing ariel socket and makes the module ariel come out of rougly the same location. For the flag ship of the Futaba range a little bit more design effort so that it doesnt look like a add on is not to much to ask for.

Mike
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

Well, it IS an add on after all. The antenna also folds down between the case and handle for easy storage. Given this is a method of retrofitting the new modules into existing radios, I think it is a pretty good solution. In a very short time I suspect everything will be built in and we will no longer have this as an issue.

But I am happy that there is a solution that will allow me to go back and forth as I slowly buy new FASST receivers!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

FUTABA???

Tony

Don
Woodie,

All I could find were the butt-ugly Spektrum modules. Can you lead me to the Futaba price list?

Later;

D.W.
D.W.

No prices yet, but you can get on the waiting list. Prices should be published before the units come in so you can cancel if you change your mind.

I got on the list about 15 minutes after it was put on the website. No idea how many are ahead of me tho.
Woodie
Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 PM
flyfishinggo2

Positive way. Futaba supplies us with not only its great state of the art electronics systems, additionally a system that has future posibilities, a replaceble RF module system, and in addition, its GREAT looks, all selling points. Futaba will be making available a 2.4 GHz freq module change. This is all very positive. BUT as a consumer, I would have like them to make the 2.4GHz change a little less noticable, after all, the modules are replacable, and now we have an empty antenna stub staring us in the face . Futaba released pictures of the 2.4GHz modules on their Web site but had no pictures of the completed system. A phone call to Futaba did not produce any system pictures, they indicated that they will have these pictures posted on their site when released. This omission allowed one's mind only imagine how the change will effect the overall look of the system.
I can only wonder what my $2200.00 investment would look like. I receive information with those pictures on the following website: teambob00.com, from Canada's, our northern neighbor's web site. Why happen to Futaba? BOTTOM LINE, it doesn't look that bad. A module case color change would help and do something with the old antenna stub, why not use it. Its like adding head lamp on a car, removing the old lamps, BUT leaving the old light socket in place, using the orginal light socket would help.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

How about the Xtreme Link solution? It's reasonably priced and requires only a single module in the back of the transmitter. Worth checking out.

-Ed
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

when brand X has about 5 years or so of sucessful business track record, then their stuff will be worth buying.

too many times in my 45+ years of rc have i seen companies come in hot and burn out fast. dosen't seem to matter if they got good stuff or bad either.

one of the threads, either here or on rcg has a link to some good pics of the 14 with the 2.4 module in it, from many angles.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

How about the Xtreme Link solution? It's reasonably priced and requires only a single module in the back of the transmitter. Worth checking out.

-Ed
It is limited to 12 channels and will use the trainer port with a cable. The module will be left to you to find a place to attach it.

Plus, I would just rather use the module designed by the same people who designed and made my radio. I'm betting that they know something about their stuff that the other guys don't.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM
d_wheel

D.W.

No prices yet, but you can get on the waiting list. Prices should be published before the units come in so you can cancel if you change your mind.

I got on the list about 15 minutes after it was put on the website. No idea how many are ahead of me tho.
Woodie
I will admit that I often can not see something when it is in plain sight, but I still can not find the link you are referring to. They have pictures of the modules but no button or link for reserving a module (that I could find). Guess I will just have to wait for the buy it now button.

Later;

D.W.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
flyfishinggo2

I just type the web site in again, it works, be sure you are using two zero's at the end.

teambob00.com
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

flyfishinggo2,
Your extreme concern with the "looks" of your 14MZ with a 2.4GHz module attached is amusing. Let's look at a few things:
1. When the 14MZ was introduced, I doubt anybody was thinking much about using the ISM band.
2. Switching from 72MHz to 2.4GHz is entirely the users own choice, you do not HAVE to make your radio "ugly".
3. I prefer a product where form follows function, rather than the other way around. I believe you get a better product that way.
4. If you really are so vain about how your Tx looks like on the back side, sell your 14MZ and buy a 12FG.

So, I bet you also don't like Composite-ARF airframes because the seems are visible, and since they are more expensive than the majority of other planes, they should be perfect.

DKjens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.