Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX Battery Voltage Range

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 AM
wbpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Battery Voltage Range

What is the accepted battery voltage range for the new JR 790 Rx.? I cannot find the info anywhere. Can I use 7.4 v Lipo or do I have to use a regulator down to 6.0 v. ?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: RX Battery Voltage Range

The problem with using unregulated Li-Poly or Li-Ion batteries is not the rx, it's the servos which won't take the higher voltage...

Perhaps I should add that I've seen posts from some of the various manufacturer support folks that while anything above 6 volts is not recommended, there shouldn't be a problem with the rx's being able to handle that. The servo thing is another story with some like the Hitec 5955TG's running unregulated Lithiums at much higher torque values but a shorter service life, and others like some of the Futaba's that will not take more than the 4.8 volts they are restricted to using.

So far, the only servo I've seen advertised as accepting 7.4 volts from the manufacturer is the Hitec 5995TG which is the robot version of the 5955TG. The Hitec reps on their support forum here have said even the 5955TG for aircraft use is not approved by them for the 7.4 volt input voltage even though some folks like TBM are reporting good results.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

MPI makes a regulator/switch for around 30 bucks.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
wbpo

Here's an idea...

How about radio manufacturers developing RXs with the ability to use Lipos right out of the box. I use the MPI regulator now, but some instances 6.0 volts will not work. Such as the electronic ignition on gas engines and some servos, like the JR retract servo, that only works on 4.8 volts.

If a manufacturer built a RX that was compatible with my JR TX or a 2.4 g. system and allowed you to run 7.4 volt Lipos in either 6 or 4.8 volts, I'd buy it!