Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Eclipse-7 vs. Futaba-8S input please !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:56 PM
airnut57
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse-7 vs. Futaba-8S input please !!!

I went to MLH shop today to look at both radios.The e-7 comes with spectra module, 4 bb servos ,fm Rx,batt. charger etc. Futaba 8 super,comes with 4 standard servos, FM slim Rx ,batt,charger etc. radios are within $10.00 of each other. shop will swap servos,Rx ,what ever you want.I am currently using a futaba FGK-6 AM. (aprox 15 yrs old) I am a self taught flier, started with gentle lady, to .25 powered cowboy. (old craft air kit) to a big stick .40 ARF with a maginum .52 4-stroke. I will be flying it this summer for my next faze of training .I'v gotten this far with out any serious crashes.i'm looking for a radio that will take me through my citabra which is almost finished (need the tail drager training)and then on to the P-51( start building this spring)I like both radios ,i feel both are of excellent quality, but my main concern is in the lay-out of the switches and knobs, both are quite different. the info im looking for is for exampel:are things conveniently placed ? is the 3-knob cluster easy to use without looking? and what about those 2 knobs on top of the E-7 can you get to them quickly? The plan is to buy one of these radios this week so any input you may have pro and con, would be greatly appreciated.

airnut

please dont post anything you would like to sell me. thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 11:51 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

If you're thinking about paying this much, please do yourself a favor and upgrade to the 9C. I bought an Eclipse 7 w/ Spectra not long before Futaba introduced the 9C, which I HAD to get regardless. Nowadays, I only use the Eclipse for flying my sailplanes with old Airtronics radio gear.

Bear in mind that if you have, or may later have, 4servo wings (2 aileron + 2 flaps) and need a separate channel for an onboard glow driver, 8 ch. TX is a MUST. I have two planes already in my fleet configured that way, and more on the way. Also, Eclipse does NOT do CROW in ACRO mode.

In retrospect, I probably would have bought the shift-selectable Eclipse anyways for flying electrics/sailplanes, as it is nice to have a separate radio for the non-oily flying. Plus it is good for donating the Spectra module to the 9C occasionally (yes, yes, I know the legality debate).

If you're buying just one new radio, make it a 9C.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:11 AM
darkmask25

Default what is the absolute difference

Besides the extra channel, should I get a 9c? The E7 seems easier to use and program, but are the features that different? I want to upgrade to a new radio from a 4VF and I don't want to have to buy many radios. I want to just make one big investment. The spectra module is apealing, but the 9c has a lot of goodies too. My main thing is airplanes of sport and warbird's with retracts, and flaps, maybe heli. Do I need a fancy radio? or should I just get a Futaba 6x? I just don't want to regret it later and get a whole new setup.

DM25
Old 02-19-2002, 06:08 AM
Macgyver

Default Radios

I just used A four channel radio when I started too then I jumped in and bought a
prism-7 and I have used this radio on war birds,A top top flite P47 and used every channel flaps and differental on the ailerons ,retacts and so on.on seven channels you can do A lot.Now I'm flying jets and I'm stil useing the Prism.The Hitec radios are easyer to set up than the Futaba's.I know in this hobby you jump up A little at A time.Take your time and think it out.My other freinds jumped up to A Flash-5 and those radio are realy easy to program.If you have any freinds with a computer radio ask them to run thru the program menu and see if you like the set up.Take care-Mac
Old 02-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I agree the Eclipse is a great radio and will probably alway keep one like it in my fleet, but I would much rather program the 9C than the Eclipse anyday. 9C's full dot matrix alphanumeric display and rotary dial makes navigation a dream compared to other mainly button-navigated radios. I do have to say that the large size LCD and location on top on the Eclipse is a definite plus.

Personally, I would look at the best radio I can afford, and then buy the next better one. You may never know what you may end up flying next - it will probably "need" that fancy programming or that extra channel you decided wasn't necessary. Now that I have both an Eclipse and a 9C, I do regret a little about not spending a bit more and buy a single 9Z instead. Well, just a little.

To give you an example, I have a World Models Super Stunt 60 on order right now. I plan on splitting the elevator and using dual servos. This means:

1. throttle
2. rudder
3. elevator 1
4. elevator 2
5. aileron 1
6. aileron 2
7. flap 1
8. flap 2
9. on board glow driver (on-off only)

I probably don't really need all 9 ch.s, but having them available sure make things easy and expands the possibilities.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:15 PM
airnut57
My Feedback: (6)

OkOkOK boy you guys really seam to like the 9c , and it looks to be only $30.00 dollars more. any thoughts on channel selection? i currently fly in a rural setting over the corn fields , and i am not currently in any clubs . advantages/disadavantages.... future changes?

airnut
Old 02-20-2002, 09:27 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Go find a club or a LHS and ask if there have been any problem channels. There is so much junk floating around out there you don't want to re kit your plane because someone paged aunt tilly.
Bkf