Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Making long extensions Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 08:45 PM
goatnick
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making long extensions Help

I am in the process of hooking up aileron servos in a 42% biplane and need long ext.I have a spool of Belden shielded cable I would like to use to make these Ext.but was wondering if it would be OK to use it as it has only has 7 strands of wire as compared to many more in standard servo wire.The shielded wire is 22 ga.From reading it is better to get rid of as many connections as posiable,Not being hep in electronics any help would be appreciated, Thanks Bob
Old 02-23-2003, 02:38 AM
roywiglesworth

use 22ga heavy duty servo wire it has 60 strands very flexable
it should work fine.

roy
Old 02-23-2003, 03:32 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above, the wire designed for our use has 60 strands and is very flexible. Belden shielded cable is not as flexible.

Vince
Old 02-23-2003, 04:03 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Flexibility is important. If you rout your wires and secure the wire so it doesn't move, he should be OK.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Making long extensions Help

Originally posted by Goatnick
I am in the process of hooking up aileron servos in a 42% biplane and need long ext.I have a spool of Belden shielded cable I would like to use to make these Ext.but was wondering if it would be OK to use it as it has only has 7 strands of wire as compared to many more in standard servo wire.The shielded wire is 22 ga.From reading it is better to get rid of as many connections as posiable,Not being hep in electronics any help would be appreciated, Thanks Bob

Youv'e got an expensive airplane, don't go cheap on the extensions.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:05 PM
goatnick

Default Making long Extensions

Read label on spool and it says, Communication and instrumentation cable, 3 Conductor 22 AWG.Uses- Internal wiring of electronic equiptment and appliances, 600 V peak for electronic use only,My concern was the 7 wires as opposed to the 60 in servo wire ,Reading the fine print and seeing it would carry 600 V I would think this would work OK,Flexability would be the difference as I see it, but as I said I'm not electronic minded.
Thanks for info Bob
Old 02-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Forgues Research

Default Re: Making long Extensions

Originally posted by Goatnick
Read label on spool and it says, Communication and instrumentation cable, 3 Conductor 22 AWG.Uses- Internal wiring of electronic equiptment and appliances, 600 V peak for electronic use only,My concern was the 7 wires as opposed to the 60 in servo wire ,Reading the fine print and seeing it would carry 600 V I would think this would work OK,Flexability would be the difference as I see it, but as I said I'm not electronic minded.
Thanks for info Bob
Bob,
Your right as far as current carrying capability, but the flexibility is the culprit here.

I used to work in Robotics for General Motors, and our equipment didn't vibrate half as much as our models do, and we got a lot of wire breakage until I was able to convince them to go with high strand count (read, high flex) and the problems disapeared.

Also any of these wires which are shielded, should not be used for our application, the shield could act as a secondary antena. Not even twisted wires is a good idea since it will give false safety concerns, that is why the major Radio companies make there extensions with ribbon wires (high flex)
Old 02-23-2003, 07:16 PM
goatnick

Default Making long extensions

Roger, thanks for the info. this hobby really keeps you thinking, your comments makes sense.In reference to your staemnt regarding twisted wiring, I purchased 4 Hitec 5945 Dig. servos for use on alierons and the new one now come with twisted wire as the ones I purchased last fall had the ribbon wire,If you follow the Hi tec forum Mike Mayberry stated that they went this route for the problems they were having with the Digitals,I know all the older Futaba servos had twisted wires, Thank again Bob
Old 02-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Re: Making long Extensions

DId you work with Fanuc?
I worked for Cybotech

Originally posted by aerografixs
I used to work in Robotics for General Motors, and our equipment didn't vibrate half as much as our models do, and we got a lot of wire breakage until I was able to convince them to go with high strand count (read, high flex) and the problems disapeared.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Forgues Research

Default Re: Re: Re: Making long Extensions

Originally posted by Geistware
DId you work with Fanuc?
I worked for Cybotech

Yes I did work with the Fanuc robots. I installed, maintained, and programmed them. They were used for welding.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:52 PM
strato911

With a plane of that size, I assume you don't care if you add a few oz weight for a clean signal to your servos. Here's a link to an electronic noise trap for long servo leads. This is what I would do in you position.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/noiserx.htm
This circuit should also perform servo reversing for dual servo elevators or flaps.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by strato911
With a plane of that size, I assume you don't care if you add a few oz weight for a clean signal to your servos. Here's a link to an electronic noise trap for long servo leads. This is what I would do in you position.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/noiserx.htm
This circuit should also perform servo reversing for dual servo elevators or flaps.
I use to use those also but they have there limitations since you allways have electrical connection from the servo and the receiver.

That's why I developped the Fiber Optic servo extensions where there is no limitations.