Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

using digital servos

Old 02-19-2002, 07:02 AM
F16FxR4real
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using digital servos

Can digitals just be plugged in and used like regular servos? I thought so until recently seeing that some Hitecs recommended using a "digital tuning kit". What is that and is it necessary?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can run digitals on a "normal" radio with no problems. You will just not be able to take advantage of a lot of programmable features the digital servo offers. What you will be able to take advantage of is the increased torque, centering, and holding power the digital offers. The hand programmer is not needed, unless you want to adjust the servos speed, centering, endpoint, and other things.

Vince
Old 02-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Ed Smith

What programmable features does a digital servo offer?

Ed S
Old 02-19-2002, 05:03 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Vince
unless you want to adjust the servos speed, centering, endpoint, and other things.

Vince

Which any modern computer radio can do anyways.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:14 AM
F16FxR4real
My Feedback: (2)

Default digitals

well I guess I'll have to get some cause thats what I want to use them for. The tourqe, centering abilities, and holding power. I'm happy with the computer radio I have and can adjust what I think I need easily so I guess I don't need the "tune kit".
Old 02-20-2002, 12:41 AM
robind

ok here i am again and need i say i need help again. i took my rx out of my park flyer and did somein to it. it would not work so i sent it tohitec to get fixed . to day i get a new one and the dame new one will not work! so i put my jr servos in and it works how did i break them? thay are all the way over to the stops like full throw. and will not center. if someone nos why i sure could use some help, god you have to love this hobby! and i didn't crash !
just tryed to put stuff in new plane . thanks rob

Old 02-20-2002, 03:54 AM
Vince

Originally posted by robind
ok here i am again and need i say i need help again. i took my rx out of my park flyer and did somein to it. it would not work so i sent it tohitec to get fixed . to day i get a new one and the dame new one will not work! so i put my jr servos in and it works how did i break them? thay are all the way over to the stops like full throw. and will not center. if someone nos why i sure could use some help, god you have to love this hobby! and i didn't crash !
just tryed to put stuff in new plane . thanks rob
How old are you?

Vince
Old 02-20-2002, 10:54 AM
robind

why is ther an age limit?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Vince

Just kidding <grin>, welcome

Vince
Old 02-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Ed Smith

I will ask again.

"What programmable features does a digital servo offer? "

Ed S
Old 02-20-2002, 03:41 PM
MMallory

Ed,

Speed, end points, reversal, centering.

Mark
Old 02-20-2002, 03:56 PM
can773

Originally posted by MMallory
Ed,

Speed, end points, reversal, centering.

Mark
So why is that a bonus of digitals?? I can do all that from my TX on any type of servo. I use digitals but not for these extra features.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:32 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

In addition to MMallory's' points you can also adjust the neutral point if you are "ganging" servos so they don't fight each other.
Also, the full torque of the servo is available as soon as the servo turns as compared to maybe 10-15 degrees before a conventional servo reaches full torque. This is said to be useful if flying 3-D stuff.

I also have a difficult time justifing/identifing when is it enough?
It seems as though we are moving quickly toward more sophisticated, higher priced servos and doing it with concern based on the total investment of the airplane.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2002, 05:47 PM
MMallory

Chad,

One of the benifits is when you use a Y-harness. You can't reverse ONE servo on the Y and not the other from the radio. Also, when you Y a nose wheel to a rudder, with the digital you can adjust the throw of the nose wheel and still keep full rudder. Other uses are scale features, such as slowing down the deployment of gear/doors.

The best reason for digitals is the resolution and holding power. It's like the 1st time you drove a car with Rack & pinion steering after driving recirc. ball. Control..control...control...

Mark
Old 02-20-2002, 07:29 PM
iflyrvs1-RCU

I now about multiplex but how do you change the speed on jr and futaba digital servos. Also dont know how you change speed with the trans.

Also when I use sub trims to adjust the center on dual elevator servos I lose some end travel
Old 02-20-2002, 08:56 PM
can773

Originally posted by iflyrvs1
I now about multiplex but how do you change the speed on jr and futaba digital servos. Also dont know how you change speed with the trans.

Also when I use sub trims to adjust the center on dual elevator servos I lose some end travel
The 9Z can adjust servo speed as can the 10X that is on any type of servo.

Yes you lose a little throw using sub trims but if set up correctly, you can gain that back with ATV.

The only benefit I can see to programming a digital servo is when ganging for large planes to get servos matched. But send them back to Futaba, JR or whoever and I bet they will match them for you (on any type not just digital). I know that they will match 2 TX's so when switching programs you dont have to make any minor adjustments for differences in pots.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:00 PM
can773

Chad,

One of the benifits is when you use a Y-harness. You can't reverse ONE servo on the Y and not the other from the radio.

Mark
Actually Futaba makes a gadget for doing just this, again usefull on any type of servo. SR10 Dual servo reverser.

I do use digitals and have used them for quite a while. All of these programmable features are just a bunch of hype to get you to buy another peice of equipment that is totally unnecessary. How come it is that Futaba and JR dont offer these programmers??
Old 02-21-2002, 01:20 PM
MMallory

Chad,

I am not even going to think about why one manufacturor produces a feature and another doesn't. The bottom line is, the features are available. If you choose to use them, they are there. How many guys do you know flying a 6 channel sport plane with a 9Z or 10X? Does that make these radios "unnecssary"? Personally, I would rather reverse a few servos than buy a finicky reverser unit for each plane. The extra $20 bucks or so for the programming unit is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

BTW, JR is selling a little black box for this very same reason. Your choice, a $70 box to adjust your ganged servos (one in each plane) or a $20 programmer and a few Y-harnesses. You pick!

Mark
Old 02-21-2002, 02:00 PM
can773

Chad,

I am not even going to think about why one manufacturor produces a feature and another doesn't. The bottom line is, the features are available. If you choose to use them, they are there. How many guys do you know flying a 6 channel sport plane with a 9Z or 10X? Does that make these radios "unnecssary"? Personally, I would rather reverse a few servos than buy a finicky reverser unit for each plane. The extra $20 bucks or so for the programming unit is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

BTW, JR is selling a little black box for this very same reason. Your choice, a $70 box to adjust your ganged servos (one in each plane) or a $20 programmer and a few Y-harnesses. You pick!

Mark
Actually I have a pair of 9Z's so I dont need all those fancy gadgets