Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HRRRRR, i can't decide on this 2.4 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRRRRR, i can't decide on this 2.4 stuff

I am debating with my self if i should move up to a spectrum radio. I just can't decide though. I am currently running an optic 6, which does its job perfectley. Flying heli's and planes. Should i upgrade or should i weight a year? Will hitec be coming out with one soon? I am just do not now. I am looking at the futaba 6ex fasst at the moment along with the dx7. The fast looks cool but in a sence i would be down grading from my optic 6, less model memoreies, less programming features, and a tinny little screan. The DX 7 looks cool also with a tone of programming features and a lot more model memory but it doesn't have this shift every 2 millisecond thing that futaba has. What should i do?

HRRRRRRRRRR

Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HRRRRR, i can't decide on this 2.4 stuff

The Futaba 7C FASST should be out this summer and rates a look also.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

I got the Extremelink module and rx at Toledo and have been flying it with my Optic6 ever since. It's been perfect. Another option to think about.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would wait untill more brands are on the market and then decide, I plan to get a
Futaba module for my 9c after they have been out for a while.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

What's the rush? If you have a real reason to change, do so. If you don't, there's every advantage to be found in waiting. I don't have any problems with my current gear, so I'll just relax and see how the market unfolds. Where's the pressure coming from for you?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

EXACTLY right, I agree completely, MikeL. I jumped on the DX7 because of channel "issues" on 72.
But if a guy doesn't have crowded or conflicted channel problems, or a "shoot down" environment, I would wait, also. At the present development rate, a year of growth is going to see a LOT of change.

No need to jump quickly and then have to jump again when stuff matures.

ORIGINAL: MikeL

What's the rush? If you have a real reason to change, do so. If you don't, there's every advantage to be found in waiting. I don't have any problems with my current gear, so I'll just relax and see how the market unfolds. Where's the pressure coming from for you?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 AM
kstick

I'm also going to wait for several months before deciding about changing to 2.4. I'm not having any trouble at my field now. I'll let others work out the bugs from versions 1.0.
And I'll probably stay with a big name like Futaba, and not a smaller company like Extremelink. I've had a bad experience with a smaller outfit (Polks) seeming to not have the resources (cash) to make a problem right for customers.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Newc

Cambo - One thing to consider is where you fly. Is it at a field with good frequency control? If so, then waiting probably wouldn't be a probelem. If, however, you fly at fields (parks, school yards, etc.) or as I do off my pier on a lake, with no frequency control and you don't know if someone around the corner is also flying, one of the 2.4 GHz units makes a lot of sense to move to immediately, as the chances of getting shot down are high.

One of the features I find extremely beneficial on the Spektrum DX-7 system is the "Model Match", where there's absolutely no way that you can fly (or attempt to!) one model with the settings for a different plane/helicopter. As I understand it, the other options (Futaba, Extremelink, Modules, etc. ) don't have this feature, so it's possible to take off with ailerons reversed, etc.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Cambo

ORIGINAL: Foamaholic

I got the Extremelink module and rx at Toledo and have been flying it with my Optic6 ever since. It's been perfect. Another option to think about.
Interesting, does that plug in were the spectrum thing is? How much and were can I get it? I am thinking about changing because my B-Day is comming up this month and I have just about every kind of plane/heli that will fit in my house, LOL. My mom is already barking at me for taking up to much space. At first I thaught i might as well just get a new transmitter. I have kind of decided on the DX-7 if i get a 2.4. I really don't want to be "downgrading" to the 6ex other than i get the advantage of spectrum. I am also depaditing if i should just switch a couple of my nicest planes to pcm which seems to be real nice on my heli.

Also, the only thing i fly at my park is my little mx 400 heli, my other flying is done at field out in the desert. It is next to a community college but there hasn't been any bug signal problems. I am also wondering is a radio transmitting on the same channel in ppm capabble of efecting a heli with pcm. At my house i have tried this and havn't been able to effect pcm.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Newc

One of the features I find extremely beneficial on the Spektrum DX-7 system is the "Model Match", where there's absolutely no way that you can fly (or attempt to!) one model with the settings for a different plane/helicopter. As I understand it, the other options (Futaba, Extremelink, Modules, etc. ) don't have this feature, so it's possible to take off with ailerons reversed, etc.
Just remember to get it right for the maiden flight. You can still set the plane up wrong in the first place or plug servos into the wrong extensions at any time after that. Still no excuse for not doing a good control check before EVERY flight.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Cambo

checked out the extrme link stuff. Good price but completely out of stock. I will see if any come back instock in the future.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM
pilotpete2

Don't rush in, wait a little while until the (balsa) dust settles
Your Optic 6 is a module based system, Hitec will be comming out with their 2.4 GHz modules soon. Going the module route means that you don't have to replace all of your receivers right away as it is easy to switch back to 72 Mhz until you phase out all your old 72 Mhz receivers.
I'm with Ira D, I think there is a 8 ch Futaba module waiting to find a home in my 9Cs, but no rush[8D]
Pete
Old 05-05-2007, 04:52 PM
BillS

What’s the rush? If you wait you will not have spent any money and probably will get better more reliable equipment.

I think waiting is prudent unless an immediate requirement exists or you simply have money to spend. I retired 15 transmitters last year and prefer to not repeat the experience.

Bill
Old 05-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Cambo

LOL, i think i have been conviced, I will wait at the moment.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Newc

Still no excuse for not doing a good control check before EVERY flight.
I agree completely, but once or twice a year I see someone take off with ailerons reversed since they are using a multiple model radio and they simply check to see that the control surfaces are moving - or they don't have a set routine for preflighting. For this reason I always stand behind the model to check for proper surface deflection - direction as well as amount. Some folks I have seen will stand in front of the model one time and behind another and therefore don't really have a good idea which way the ailerons are moving since they see it differently each time and seemingly don't account for the direction that they are viewing from.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:32 PM
pilotpete2

I couldn't agree more, Model match is a great idea, but there is no substitute for a good preflight.
Pete
Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are happy with the Optic AND you are not out of model memory slots, then the module path is great.

If, on the other hand you are out of model memories, want more channels or have a channel conflict at the field, then the DX7 is a beautiful system. If you went that route, you could have some planes on 72 and some on 2.4 and change over slowly. If you want, later on you could add a 2.4 module to your Optic 6.

It all comes down to you and why you want to add 2.4 to the mix.